Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tony's Subaru Conversion Thread
TonyAKAVW
post May 21 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #41

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I have begun thinking about how to do the radiator frame. I am at this point going through many different ideas, but really until I get a radiator and see how it fits in, its all just ideas. One idea I still have is to make a frame for the radiator that attaches to the motor mount. In the end this will probably weigh a lot, be difficult to fabricate, especially around the interface to the firewall. I'll probably POR-15 the engine bay as much as possible now, then after the frame is done re-do those sections. There's a lot of bare metal...

My next project after the POR-15 will be figuring out what to do about wiring. I will be going a bit crazy with the wiring making it over-connectorized. I will probably have bulkhead conncetors at the firewall rather than having a wiring harness come through, as well as at the trunk wall. I'm going to give myself plenty of extra wiring so that I can add things in the future that I have not yet anticipated. I also want built-in engine bay lights so that its easier to work in there. When the engine lid opens, the lights will come on. Should make it easier to debug when I'm on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

-Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty914
post May 21 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #42

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

here is a cheap and easy way to get engine bay light... get one of the ricer light kits and install it on the firewall with a small switch that is a nc contact that gets released when the engine lid is up. this would cost about 20 bucks or so to do.

as for a bulk head connector, if you do that make sure it is not behind the radiator, for access reasons. also a good source for a connector is an early suby firewall connector they are like 26 pins and the pins are available new

edit: i would still do the radiator mounting now, so you dont have to move it later when you see it is in they way

This post has been edited by scott thacher: May 21 2005, 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
redshift
post May 22 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #43

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (scott thacher @ May 21 2005, 11:43 PM)
at the wcc tony was talking with me about going turbo, it would be faster but the cooling might not work with the radiator in the engine bay. after tony got a ride in my car he decided that thou the turbo would be nice the car is plenty fast enough with out it.

I was thinking about cooling today, the answer to all your cooling problems... ENGINE TIN.

If you could get tin back around there, you get alot more cooling, without a pooper scooper, I am pretty sure..

Even at lowish speeds, there is a massive disparity in air pressure, above and below. The ass of a teener is a kite.

M
+Quote Post
Michael J
post May 22 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #44

Welcome to 2007

Member No.: 3,166

Tony,
Keep the updates coming. I think the idea of a basically stock Suby engine will have a lot of appeal. If I could double the HP from my 1.7 and not take on a bunch of maintenance headaches I would sure give it some thought. I just want a REALLY fun driver. Don't race.

And I commend you for taking this project on in an apt. garage. I can barely turn around in my garage and I don't have to worry about pissing off the neighbors.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 22 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #45

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Michael J,
Check out Scott Thatcher's suby conversion for a done, stock, fun to drive one. He pioneered the mounting of the radiator in the engine bay infront of the engine, and proofed it buy driving it from MD to CA for the WCC05. If I had time (oh ya, and money) I would do oneof these for sure. Tony is just taking it a step further
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post May 31 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #46

That's my ride.

Just a teaser. I got the engine home last night. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post tonight.

I stopped by Jeff's place at about noon yesterday and we picked up the engine and put it into the trunk of the camry. It took a little work but it fit eventually. I had to take off the alternator, the coil pack, and the throttle body. It leaked some fluids into the trunk and scraped up the paint a bit, but it managed to survive about 350 miles.

I'm going to try and recruit some coworkers to help me lift out the engine tonight.

Pictures at 11.

-Tony

+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 1 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #47

That's my ride.

In order to get the engine out of the car's trunk easily I removed the alternator, brackets, and the intake manifold/injector runners/throttlebody assembly aka "baby alien."

Its stunning how much the EJ25 looks like a type 4 engine, albeit 30 years more modern.

-Tony

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 1 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #48

That's my ride.

Baby Alien or a Four legged spider??

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
Post #49

That's my ride.

Bright blue powder coated rice. That must be good for like 50 HP.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
Post #50

That's my ride.

Needs a new timing belt cover. Probably a good opportunity to put on a new timing belt.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 1 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #51

That's my ride.

The Business End.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 1 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #52

That's my ride.

Intake port. Having only ever taken apart a type 4 engine it was interesting to see how the port is split into two and how the injector has two outlets at a corresponding angle as well.

-Tony

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
14Maschine
post Jun 1 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 3,137

Awesome pictures man! Keep em comin! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 2 2005, 02:37 AM
Post #54

That's my ride.

I began the task of undoing the wiring harness tonight. It appears there are basically three sections to it. One that appears to be mostly within the engine bay, one for the dash area and another that I haven't yet figured out. The person who pulled the harness out was good enough to label a bunch of the conectors with what they went to. This was helpful in determining which harness does what (in general). I'm going to have to find a schematic somewhere, but this seems doable. A few conenctors will need replacing and a few wires will need splicing due to a small amount of damage during the acident that killed the car.

Its a bit premature to be doing this, but it looks like its going to be a fairly time consuming task. I believe one of the important things to do is come up with a new schematic for the electrical system of my car, as it appears it will be quite different than stock.

-Tony

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jun 2 2005, 05:39 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey tony, don't forget the timing belt is partly shredded. You definitely want to replace that before you put the engine in the car.

+Quote Post
Hydra
post Jun 2 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #56

Quia nominor LEO

Member No.: 3,261

I've just noticed something strange: why does the engine have one plastic timing and the other one metal? iirc the early ej25's had dohc with plastic timing gears, but don't know much about the late sohc...
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post Jun 2 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 952

Just a little something for youre informaiton, might give you a few ideas. Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.

(IMG:http://www.tcdesignfab.com/jonw-01.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.tcdesignfab.com/jonw-02.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.tcdesignfab.com/jonw-03.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.tcdesignfab.com/jonw-04.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.tcdesignfab.com/jonw-05.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.tcdesignfab.com/jonw-06.jpg)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jun 2 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #58

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Interesting mount. Will you be able to get the shift rod through there? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 2 2005, 11:01 AM
Post #59

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

cannot use stock shifter linkage with TonyC's design...

The car pictured above is now going to use a single turbo with a WRX header I believe, so the front bar might be able to be modified to make room for the shift linkage....

a slight miscommunication between Jon and Tony...opps (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post Jun 2 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 952

Glad to see that someone has information on this converstion as I dont. I just came across the pic's and thought you might be able to make use of them.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
+Quote Post

29 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:37 PM