Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tony's Subaru Conversion Thread
Mueller
post Jun 2 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #61

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Jun 2 2005, 10:06 AM)
Glad to see that someone has information on this converstion as I dont. I just came across the pic's and thought you might be able to make use of them.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.

I'm freinds with both Tony and Jon (not sure if they'll admit to it in public, hahahaha)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 2 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #62

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

That engine support is nice looking, but there is a definite disadvantage to the design. Fiid has details on why the design is suboptimal here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...%20turbo&st=140

I will be going with a bar more like Scott's which is basically a large U-shaped piece of square tubing that cradles the engine mounts and the arms stick up and bolt to the body near the shock/spring mount.

-Tony
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post Jun 2 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 952

Mueller you have a PM

Regards,

Turbo Paul
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 2 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #64

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

do not use the mount that goes off of the stock body mounts, i know of somebody who did this and it broke the bolt to the body mount as soon as it had the engine on it

you have to support the rear of the engine either with a mount like my mine or fiids
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 2 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #65

That's my ride.

For anyone else out there who is doing a conversion I found a very valuable website.

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/

There's a ton of information there on the Impreza, including pinouts with desriptions for various model year ECUs, wiring diagrams, etc. Essentially all you need is the ECU pinout. From there you could make a harness from scratch if youw wanted to! I'm still planning on modifying the one I have, but this at least tells me which wires to keep and which ones to throw out.

-Tony

+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 22 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

check this kit out. porscharu kit

(IMG:http://www.renegadehybrids.com/turbo914/tb_2005_0610subi914dana0027.jpg)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #67

That's my ride.

This thread is not dead... I have been working a lot on the wiring harness as well as ordering parts for the engine, and doing some conceptual drawings for the radiator bracket/shroud.

This design is very similar to Scott's radiator shroud/mount but is made entirely from aluminum and bolts on to the car rather than being a weld-in part. It is way more complex and has a lot more parts, and in the end will take about 30 times as long to build. Scott's method is simple and works great, mine is way over engineered, meaning it probably won't work (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)

Here's the first drawing giving an idea of what the thing looks like.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #68

That's my ride.

Another drawing to show conceptually how it fits into the engine bay.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #69

That's my ride.

Here's some detail of the orange colored bars at the bottom of the shroud. These will be machined form a rectangular bar of aluminum.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #70

That's my ride.

Here's the drawing from above with the addition of the plastic air scoop

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #71

That's my ride.

Some hardware detail of how the scoop is mounted...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 22 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #72

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

spring loaded so that if you hit something it rotates up to help minimize damage??

+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #73

That's my ride.

I have a few more drawings on paper that I did by hand, especially for the mounting of the top of the frame. Basically on each side, on the inside corner of the frame will sit a block of aluminum that will both hold the frame together and have an angled hole through which a bolt will pass, coming through the firewall. There's a standoff that will sit between the firewall and the block.

Another detail. The aluminum sheet metal shrouding will have a rubber gasket around its edge where it meets the firewall. This will be made from either a sliced piece of tubing or some standard material for the purpose.

The only welding for this is two small angle brackets on the vertical section of the firewall. These secure the bottom of the frame to the firewall, and welding is necessary because that section of the firewall is not accesible from inside since its double-walled. If you wanted to hack up the inner lower firewall you could get away without welding. It would probably just be a couple small holes.

One detail I have not yet worked out is the clamp that holds the top of the radiator. Probably won't be too tricky, but I need to wait until I have an actual radiator before doing that.

So anyone around the LA area have a milling machine I could come and use for a good part of a da? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

-Tony
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Jun 22 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #74

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jun 22 2005, 10:31 AM)
..So anyone around the LA area have a milling machine I could come and use for a good part of a da? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

-Tony

No. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #75

That's my ride.

spring loaded so that if you hit something it rotates up to help minimize damage??

Exactly. It will be such that it can rotate up all the way so that it is flush to the floorpan. I was thinking that a spring _might_ not be necessary if the scooop is heavy enough to stay put at high speed, AND that the bearing point be smooth enough.

-Tony
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Jun 22 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #76

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jun 22 2005, 10:33 AM)

Exactly. It will be such that it can rotate up all the way so that it is flush to the floorpan. I was thinking that a spring _might_ not be necessary if the scooop is heavy enough to stay put at high speed, AND that the bearing point be smooth enough.

-Tony

Heavy means inertia which means it won't move easily when struck. I imagine it would slam pretty hard when it reaches the end of its travel also. I thought maybe using something flimsy and with flimsy mounting points so it would tear off if hit hard without damaging anything else.

Andrew
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 22 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #77

suby torque rules

tony that is basicly what i had designed, but here are 2 things for you to consider. one get rid of the fan mount and use the plastic thru core supports, you want the fans as close as you can get them to the radiator ie touching it. also the top of the radiator frame will be touching the firewall so your shrouding will be smaller.

if you want a complete fan set up that should fit perfectly but is not cheap go with this one. from what i saw before it is almost a perfect fit on the suby radiator and it offers very good coverage so you get good flow.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 22 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #78

suby torque rules

for heat i just found this (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) it looks like is would fit up under the dash if you remove the stock fresh air stuff

this is nice looking
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #79

That's my ride.

I didn't know that there were fans that mounted to the radiator itself. That definitely seems like the way to go.

As far as the radiator touching the firewall, I have to see how all this fits in the engine bay. I'm sure there will be some adjusting of the design once I have things roughly in place. This is just a first cut at it, nothing is measured. I may end up pushing the mount back towards the engine slightly to get the clearance if I need it, but I'll see when the time comes.

Andrew: I agree. But I also want this thing to be sturdy enough that when I go over speed bumps it doesn't tear it off. I'd like to be able to go over speed bumps (slowly) and have the thing stay intact, move out of the way, and then move back when the bump is over. After time this will wear down the leading edge of the scoop, but maybe I can put a strip of some really hard metal on there, like tungsten or something!!! or not.

-Tony
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 22 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #80

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Put rollers in the lip of the scoop to help preserve it as it is being deflected up. Why not? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

You could also pad the end stops of the scoops travel so it doesnt destroy anhting when you run over the piece of tire in the middle of the road.

Verry nice so far (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:48 AM