Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tony's Subaru Conversion Thread
redshift
post Jun 22 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #81

Bless the Hell out of you!

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

I am not sure that thing needs a grappling hook... I mean a scoop.

M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Jun 22 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #82

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

If you use fans that are powerful enough and alter the scoop a little, could you use your 914 as a streetsweeper for hire to help defray the costs of the conversion?

Andrew
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #83

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I am not sure that thing needs a grappling hook... I mean a scoop.

Could be. I will drive it without a scoop first and see how it goes. If it ends up getting too hot at high speed I'll put it on. in stop and go traffic, where you'd expect it to heat up the worst, the scoop won't do anything. So we'll see... I'd rather not have it...

-Tony
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 22 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #84

I don't know if it would try to stall the fans, I'd try to get air from above.. I'd have to do a little testing.. I know the car is a wing back there.

You could sweep streets, and ROCK at autox...

(IMG:http://www.insideracingtechnology.com/Resources/chaprlfan.jpg)

M
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 22 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #85

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'll toss this thought out.. The 73+ cars had the air deflector flaps on the floorpan, why not use these, or make one that goes the full width of the radiator.
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 22 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (phantom914 @ Jun 22 2005, 11:08 AM)
If you use fans that are powerful enough and alter the scoop a little, could you use your 914 as a streetsweeper for hire to help defray the costs of the conversion?

Andrew

lol dude you are my hero. my renegade radiator cools great and will probably not be mistaken for a "street sweeper". for $1000 why not just bolt in something that you know will work?

(IMG:http://www.renegadehybrids.com/turbo914/tb_2005_0610subi914dana0022.jpg) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sheeplove.gif) (best smiley ever!)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #87

That's my ride.

lol dude you are my hero. my renegade radiator cools great and will probably not be mistaken for a "street sweeper". for $1000 why not just bolt in something that you know will work?

Wow, I've never been a hero. I guess there's a first time for everything.

I'll give you a multitude of reasons why I'm not going to go with the renegade radiator.

1. I don't want to use my front trunk for a radiator.

2. I don't want to use my front trunk for a radiator.

3. It's exceedingly boring. For $30,000 why not just go buy a WRX STI, because I know that will work. In terms of engineering problems that have been solved in this world, I'm sure this is not up there in the top 100000, but for me it is an interesting project to work on and think about. Buying an off the shelf finished product is not really something I'm interested in.

4. I think its a poor value. I'm sure that its of exceptional quality and all, and that it will enhance the reliability of my car, but I believe it is overpriced. Thats my opinion, valid or not.

5. I can put together a perfectly good cooling system for $300 and put the remaining $700 into things like suspension, etc.

6. A renegade cooling setup is far less likely to inspire jokes.

So thats why...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 22 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #88

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Tony,

I say ditch the frankenstien looking bolt-together framework and make something with composites (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Find a mill yet? no problem using mine if you don't mind the drive (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 22 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #89

That's my ride.

oooooooh composites.

You know, the thought had crossed my mind in the past and it gracefully went the way of "I don't have any idea how to do that, there's a lot to learn so maybe I'll just go with aluminum."

And here you go pushing back towards composites! A carbon fiber radiator housing would be pretty sweet, and I wouldn't even have to use the firewall as part of the shrouding. I could make a mold from wood and styrofoam or STOP!!! Geez. I have to at some point take a stand and limit my technology creep or else I'm going to be into this for 3 years and not have anything on the road. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I think for now I'll stick to metal. Mostly because to learn how to do composites and get the equipment necessary would take a lot of time. And then I'd want that nice shiny finish of a vacuum cured part, so I wouldn't be happy with it anyway.

If you try to convince me to go composites, I'm going to try and convince you that you should abandon your Link ECU and go with something else. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) Or I'll try and get you to join the dark side of the Subaru Swappers Syndicate.

-Tony

afterthought.... This is not a structural piece, would be a great way to learn composites..... hmmm. Somone please stop me.

+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 22 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #90

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

mike can i use your mill, i have a few things that i need/want to make

and tony just weld the frame together and bolt it in, much time saved and you dont need to worry as much about bolts loosening

+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 22 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #91

Make it out of mahogany.

M
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 23 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #92

I hope that your radiator works. it is a really cool (no pun intended) idea. and the whole sleeper aspect to the thing is pretty sweet. I have been talking to scott about his radiator and it seems to be working great for him. I would be a little wary of this set up on a turbo motor though, they run pretty hot.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 23 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #93

suby torque rules

dana FYI his is a na 2.5 as well, although i think he will do some tuner stuff to it
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 23 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #94

That's my ride.

Yup, its a 2.5 N/A. I'm sure that putting in a turbo would heat things up a lot more. It would still be interesting to see if the engine bay cooling would work with a higher HP motor. No one has tried it AFAIK, but maybe with some creative ducting it could be done.

I do plan on at some point, putting in Cobb cams, and custom exhaust, etc. For now though its going to remain pretty much stock. Until I get bugs worked out, etc.

-Tony
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jun 24 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #95

mine is a turbo and it is amazing how fast that tiny 2.0 heats up. I blew a fuse to my cooling fans and within about 2 seconds of sitting in traffic things got pretty warmish. now I know to actually pay attention to that volt thing and to use the right fuses. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 26 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #96

That's my ride.

I met a major milestone in the wiring department this weekend. I stripped down the Subaru harness to minimum and labeled and identified every wire going into the ECU. The result is amazing. The original Subaru harness is now down to probably 5% of what it started out as!

-Tony

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 26 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #97

suby torque rules

that looks like you are mising a few plugs, but i cant see it all very well. dont tape it up too much you will probably have to open it up once to fix something.

all the plugs i can think of are :

brain
2 o2 plugs
3 for engine connection
fuel pump relay
main realy
ignitor
obd connector
purge and pressure switching solinoids ( 2 plugs )
connection to relay board

then loose wires are :
power
ground
speed sensor
temp sensor if you go stock

then you need wires from the alt

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 26 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #98

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

WTG! Very nice. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 26 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #99

That's my ride.

Yes a few things are missing form the picture... The engine harness itself is still on the engine and I believe (though I will have to double check) that the O2 sensors come off of that. The relay connections will be made inside "the box." The OBD connector as well. The ignitor is through the engine harness, as well as the purge valve. I think everything else is acoounted for....

-Tony

Heres the leftovers...

Edit: the black stuff around the wiring is just nylon expando sleeving. Its just there temporarily to keep the wires from going all over the place. I'm nto sure if I will eevn use it in the end, but it just slides off.

This post has been edited by TonyAKAVW: Jun 26 2005, 12:55 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 26 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #100

That's my ride.

And now for the description of "the box." The "box" is going to be a weatherproof aluminum box that will tentatively go in the engine bay, though it could easily go in the passenger compartment if I find it gets too hot.

Anyway, the box will be the main wiring hub for the car. In essence it will replace the relay board and the 914 ECU. It will contain the Subaru ECU, and one or possibly two custom printed circuit boards (PCBs). One will act as an in-between to the engine harness and the ECU and wil contain mostly resistors and other components which simulate the function of elements I'm not using. These include the rear O2 sensor, fuel tank pressure, fuel temp, etc. etc. It will be fairly generic in that it will allow any wiring harness to be used. I will end up making 3 or so of these boards initially. If there is interest from others I can put in orders for more of them later on. The second board will hold the relays, and fuses for the rear part of the car. It too will be somewhat generic. In fact I may end up just buying one of these since there are places that make them already...

"The Box" will also have some status indicators on it for quick troubleshooting. I may also have a second OBD-II connector on the box for easier access while working in the engine bay.

-Tony

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:31 PM