Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original owner thinking of selling his 914, 1974 2.0 Delphi Green Metallic
michael7810
post Sep 8 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

The owner bought his 914 new in Phoenix, AZ where it's lived since except for a couple years he worked in Tennessee. Had 1 respray in the mid 90s of it's original L99A Delphi Green metallic after a car backed into the right front fender. It appears the fender was replaced (but I'm no expert in body repair). 99K original miles and the engine & trans have not been overhauled. Recently had a sticky valve fixed on #1 cylinder however the shop only removed 1 head during the repair. FI removed in 2013 and the parts are not available. Car is mostly stock and original except for the seat upholstery, dual carbs, and newer radio. There is rust in both door jambs near the circular vent (see pic of one side - both sides look the same), surface rust on the rear trunk floor (which the owner recently removed and painted black), and a small spot at the windshield trim (see pic). I tried to get a pic under the battery tray...looks like surface rust only. Has dealer installed AC which the owner claims worked until the recent engine repair but for some reason the shop did not install the belt. Owner has the owners manual, original keys, dealer pamphlets, and most receipts for repair work performed. I would buy this car if I had a shop to keep it during restoration. The car is all there and could be driven as is or restored. Owner has some spare parts including the original US taillight lenses. It has always been the owners daily driver. I have heard it run but have not driven it and will be happy to assist prospective buyers. The car is located in Scottsdale, AZ about 1/4 mile from my house. I'm doing this as a favor and as such will leave it up to you to discuss price with the owner.

If interested PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

Pics HERE
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 8 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #2

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Michael,

So far this car looks like a P.O.S. I guess in Phoenix where this car lived it got massive rain and wind driven desert dirt.

It does not look like the 914 ever had any love. As this is not in the classified area I can make comments on it.

Bob
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 8 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Definetly need better pictures
Floor pan under car
Longs (remove rockers)
Under battery
Around windshield
Under carpets
Etc
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Sep 8 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,351
Region Association: None

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 8 2017, 07:15 PM) *

The owner bought his 914 new in Phoenix, AZ where it's lived since except for a couple years he worked in Tennessee.

At least northern TN is still in the salt belt, any idea where in TN is was located?

The rust around the round vent may have been cleaned / painted once. Look about the vent and the paint has a few dots and sanding marks like body filler was used.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Sep 8 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Sep 8 2017, 05:10 PM) *

The owner bought his 914 new in Phoenix, AZ where it's lived since except for a couple years he worked in Tennessee.

At least northern TN is still in the salt belt, any idea where in TN is was located?

The rust around the round vent may have been cleaned / painted once. Look about the vent and the paint has a few dots and sanding marks like body filler was used.

Hey I'm just the messenger so comments welcome. Like I said it's been his daily driver since new and he kept it pretty decent mechanically but obviously it needs a lot of work to make it a "nice" car. If you want to speak with the owner I can arrange that otherwise I'll pass on the comments. Keep 'em coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Sep 9 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #6

What causes rust to develop near the circular vents in the door jambs? That seemed like a strange place for rust to develop on a car that is not a rust bucket.
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Sep 9 2017, 08:16 AM
Post #7

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327
Region Association: Northern California

Without many more pictures of hidden areas it is impossible to evaluate the rustbucketness of said 914.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 9 2017, 08:57 AM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Rust is like spiders. For ever one you see there are a 100 you don't.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 9 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #9

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Car doesn't look too bad. Body panels look straight. Not pristine by any accounts but not a rust bucket. This car in PA would be considered a rust-free car.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 9 2017, 09:03 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 9 2017, 07:09 AM) *

What causes rust to develop near the circular vents in the door jambs? That seemed like a strange place for rust to develop on a car that is not a rust bucket.

My car is a California car and has some rust there. Porsche shoved foam up there, which traps water and moisture. Typical rust spot.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 9 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #11

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

I have 3 cars from California that have no rust there at all. I had a 74 car I bought from Florida for its Trans. that I cut up and trashed that had no rust like that and did not have any foam there. Water from the wheels gets thrown up there. Right side picks up more water from the area near the curb where water collects when it runs off to the side of the road.

Bob B
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Sep 9 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #12

I'll get with the owner and see about taking better pictures, hopefully he'll be ok to remove the rocker covers, carpet, etc. It will have to be after RRC when hopefully it will be a little cooler outside. It's really not a bad car from what I've seen but without proper pictures of the problem areas I understand why some think it's a POS. I'll probably recommend he sell it on BaT once it's cleaned up and he has a good set of pictures.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:11 AM