Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> head/rocker assy. nuts and a compression Q, sorry about the long post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 5 2003, 06:06 PM
Post #1

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

ok, I'm reassembling the heads onto the engine...

Haynes suggests the nuts that hold the heads be 23ft./lb... I'm starting to question my torque wrench... these things are already VERY tight on the studs and the wrench hasn't clued me in on getting close to 23... my question is this: is it possible to get these nuts too tight? will I damage the heads if I keep going until the torque wrench feels like telling me to stop? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

also, how tight should the rocker assy. nuts be? these didn't seem *REALLY* tight when I took them off... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

next: according the all-knowing Haynes 120-156 lbs of compression is normal, 100 minimum... I'm assuming this is with the engine cool... how much compression is good when the engine is warm? should it me more? less?

one last Q: how much effect can carbon buildup on the heads have on the compression?... when I removed one head(the 1,2 cyls) there was bad carbon buildup which cleaned up easily... a little B-12 and some elbow grease with a toothbrush easy... this head now looks much better than the one that I was going to put on that side... this side of the engine had good compression when the engine was cool 130/140 but only 60-75 warm... after the cleanup... would it be safe to use this head again? or should I just use the other one?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:39 AM