Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 cooling ideas., Only because I have the parts!
Andyrew
post Sep 21 2017, 12:14 PM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Sep 21 2017, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 20 2017, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Sep 20 2017, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 19 2017, 09:38 PM) *

ron Davis radiator with 2 spal fans that is what keeps it cool i tried 5 different pumps and 5 different radiators after shelling out the bucks for the Renegade radiator and fans which is really ron davis dual pass all aluminum and two big fans my v8 small block 427 stayed between 180 and 205 all day long. Oh i was using the Meziere 55gpm electric water pump located at the bottom of the radiator.

Is your radiator a 2-core, dual pass unit?

If you pump was located at the bottom of the radiator, does that mean it was pushing coolant from that location to the engine (lines out of lower rad to water pump then out of water pump to engine block)?

Yes it was pushing but i figured if it was at the lowest point in the system it could never starve for water. If you fill the system from the highest point and you have a good reservoir it will self bleed itself as it contracts and expands pushing air out and sucking water back from overflow tank.

I was not sure if there is a preferred placement... front or rear, bottom or top of the car.

I am looking at the Jegs 50 gpm unit that is designed to fit in a stock BB Mopar w/p enclosure/case which therefore; theoretically should fit in the Renegade w/p enclosure; perhaps with a bit of modifying.

I cant recommend enough (apparently) a water pump controller that will actually control the speed of the pump. If you just get a pump that will go on and off you'll find that it will overcool causing getting up to temp to take forever.

This is what I recommend. Read into how the LCD controller works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davies-Craig-DC-89...0JL&vxp=mtr

Another option if you dont need an LCD (I love mine though, being able to see what is going on). This one does essentially the same thing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davies-Craig-EWP15...ciR&vxp=mtr
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Sep 22 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #22

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 21 2017, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Sep 21 2017, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 20 2017, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Sep 20 2017, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 19 2017, 09:38 PM) *

ron Davis radiator with 2 spal fans that is what keeps it cool i tried 5 different pumps and 5 different radiators after shelling out the bucks for the Renegade radiator and fans which is really ron davis dual pass all aluminum and two big fans my v8 small block 427 stayed between 180 and 205 all day long. Oh i was using the Meziere 55gpm electric water pump located at the bottom of the radiator.

Is your radiator a 2-core, dual pass unit?

If you pump was located at the bottom of the radiator, does that mean it was pushing coolant from that location to the engine (lines out of lower rad to water pump then out of water pump to engine block)?

Yes it was pushing but i figured if it was at the lowest point in the system it could never starve for water. If you fill the system from the highest point and you have a good reservoir it will self bleed itself as it contracts and expands pushing air out and sucking water back from overflow tank.

I was not sure if there is a preferred placement... front or rear, bottom or top of the car.

I am looking at the Jegs 50 gpm unit that is designed to fit in a stock BB Mopar w/p enclosure/case which therefore; theoretically should fit in the Renegade w/p enclosure; perhaps with a bit of modifying.

I cant recommend enough (apparently) a water pump controller that will actually control the speed of the pump. If you just get a pump that will go on and off you'll find that it will overcool causing getting up to temp to take forever.

This is what I recommend. Read into how the LCD controller works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davies-Craig-DC-89...0JL&vxp=mtr

Another option if you dont need an LCD (I love mine though, being able to see what is going on). This one does essentially the same thing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davies-Craig-EWP15...ciR&vxp=mtr

If I could, I would!

To have that sort of granular (ok... fluid) control would be awesome! Just around double what my foreseeable budget would be!
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 18 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #23

I wanted to give an update on how I DRASTICALLY improved the cooling efficiency of my car. No electric water pump or 4 core radiator needed.

My engine originally came with an oil cooler installed (Chevy pickup). Unfortunately; the cooler was ruined after the truck wrecked. I kept the oil cooler adapter installed on the block and just capped off the ports on the adapter.

Fast forward years later and after combating a constant run hot situation on my car; I decided to go through my parts bin and install an oil cooler I had from another project.

What an incredible difference! My car is now running a consistent 20 degrees cooler... without touching anything else! It's a miracle I tell you!

Anyway; I have it mounted on my engine lid right now. Is there a better place to install it for more efficient cooling?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cali914
post Oct 19 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #24

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

What are your temps now ideling freeway and driving around town?
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 19 2017, 09:29 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(cali914 @ Oct 19 2017, 08:20 AM) *

What are your temps now ideling freeway and driving around town?

More details... Right now, I have the fan set to come on at around 170 (I will be adjusting this). Driving around town or at freeway speeds, the temp has yet to go beyond 185, which is OK with me, especially compared to what it was before. Twenty degrees higher and it was fast approaching the danger zone!
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Oct 19 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 21,351
Region Association: None

I'd put some muffin fans under the cooler blowing upwards. Maybe wire them into the rad fan circuit.

These fans are those square fans found on computers and other stuff.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 24 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Oct 19 2017, 05:06 PM) *

I'd put some muffin fans under the cooler blowing upwards. Maybe wire them into the rad fan circuit.

That's a pretty good idea!

Think I get a noticeable temp drop by doing so?
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 24 2017, 11:19 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Oct 19 2017, 05:06 PM) *

Checked out DigiKey's website:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/fans-th...amp;pageSize=25

What do you suppose a good CFM rating would be for a couple of muffin fans mounted to my oil cooler?
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Oct 24 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 21,351
Region Association: None

I'd probably fit 2 maybe 3 fans. Find a fan the same dim as the small dim of the cooler.

There are tons of electronic surplus places, I'd hit them up first. Along with a place that scraps out computers. I've seen Dell towers have a fan that looks to be sized right, not sure of voltage though I's expect 12V

Check out the traditional hand drawn product pics
https://www.sciplus.com

In CA
https://www.allelectronics.com/

Or type in to google " electronic surplus " and " <the state you are in> "
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 24 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #30

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Man, your cooling system is getting complicated. I hope I don't share the problems your having with my SBC build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 24 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 24 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Man, your cooling system is getting complicated. I hope I don't share the problems your having with my SBC build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

LOL... I look at the cooling hoses going all over the place and say the same thing!

Granted, I could tidy it up a bit; somehow but everything there is what's needed... expansion tank; heater core for our cold Idaho falls and springs.

It will stay like this for now. Next summer; if the coolant temps get too high when it's 100 degrees out; then it will be time for a 4-core rad and electric water pump setup! But considering where I came from with my constant run hot issue; the addition of the oil cooler definitely made a huge difference!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:09 AM