Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lead Paint, Body work at home?
AndyB
post Sep 21 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #21

The Governor is watching me

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 20 2017, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 19 2017, 10:17 PM) *

Lead based paint can be found in homes/buildings if they were painted up into about the late 1970s, figure on about 1980 when the warehoused material was used up.

I have not heard that automotive paints had lead in them, cite your source for that information please.

All paints had lead in them, 1950's -60's levels saw reductions, by 1978 lead was removed from house and consumer paints, but it was still present in most industrial paints, including auto paint, right up to the late 80's. Yellow thru orange had the highest levels.

Where are your references/citing materials? So far it's all speculation without data, backing it up.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MBowman325
post Sep 21 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 4,413
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(AndyB @ Sep 21 2017, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 20 2017, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 19 2017, 10:17 PM) *

Lead based paint can be found in homes/buildings if they were painted up into about the late 1970s, figure on about 1980 when the warehoused material was used up.

I have not heard that automotive paints had lead in them, cite your source for that information please.

All paints had lead in them, 1950's -60's levels saw reductions, by 1978 lead was removed from house and consumer paints, but it was still present in most industrial paints, including auto paint, right up to the late 80's. Yellow thru orange had the highest levels.

Where are your references/citing materials? So far it's all speculation without data, backing it up.

Based off other documentation I found and referenced above I searched and found the following:

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Pro.../Deltron#expand

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Not...oduct(s)-DMA322

So according to this DMA322 was discontinued last year. Both the above and first link indicate that it contains lead. (Discontinued and used are indeed two different topics, but that indicates that auto paint up until last year appears to have been available containing lead. This is surprising to me)

https://buyat.ppg.com/rep_pafpainttools_fil...s/tdb/6-204.pdf
Note that the above doesn't reference that it has lead but does have a note that if you sand lead based paint you'll be exposed to dust that contains lead. (paraphrased)

Again, I've done some empirical testing and panels on my 914s test positive for lead so I wouldn't say it's baseless. (I've also readily pointed out that the swab test can return bad results.)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 21 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #23

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

This may do something epic...

Yellow is high in lead. Yellow used to be fast. Myth busted. Now we know it's heavier and slower. Like lead.

Black is faster.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:26 AM