Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: FedEx Ground strikes again, 914 parts delivered to someone else - again!
arne
post Sep 21 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

I don't know how it is other places, but for me, the "deliver with no issues" rate for FedEx Ground service is maybe 65%. I've had packages misrouted, packages that sit for as much as 48 hours in a distribution center somewhere along the way, and packages that the route driver "delivers" somewhere else.

The last is the worst, because then I have to contact FedEx to have them contact the driver to figure out whose front door he left it by. FedEx initiates the contact with the driver (who is not a FedEx employee, but an independent contractor), but he has 2 days (?) to respond. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

To those of you who are vendors and ship via FedEx Ground, why? Are they that much cheaper than UPS? Trust me, I would pay a couple bucks extra to not have to deal with FedEx Ground.

OK, rant over...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Morrie
post Sep 21 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,198
Region Association: Southwest Region

My experience has been in shipping (a huge amount of) parts is that for small packages USPS Priority Mail is reliable, quick, and economical. For large boxes, FedEx ground is dramatically cheaper for me than UPS, and USPS is quite frankly absurd in what they charge for larger packages. I've personally had very good success with FedEx Gnd but as you said, they are not delivered with the regular FedEx network. It is the old RBX trucking if memory serves, and each driver is an independent business owner who contracts with FedEx. My guess is your local independent network is the problem, and it is sad that FedEx lets it continue as I am sure you are not the only one there with issues.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 21 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

I showed up at the shop today and one of the guy's from Satan's Cycles, my new neighbor had a bunch of packages for me, that Fedex had given him, thought it was my name and address. I've had lots of problems with FEDEX Ground.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 21 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Morrie @ Sep 21 2017, 03:28 PM) *
My guess is your local independent network is the problem, and it is sad that FedEx lets it continue as I am sure you are not the only one there with issues.
Considering that some of the issues are delays and misrouting long before the package gets to my local agent, I don't think I can blame it all on the local people. I've had a package from San Fransisco to Eugene go to Dallas first. I've seen a package from the East coast sit for 48 hours in a depot in Kansas. I've had a package route through Salt Lake, then scan in Portland, then go back to Salt Lake to be routed back through Central Oregon.

Thing is, FedEx doesn't care. Dealing with them once something goes wrong is a nightmare, and there is little to no concern or priority on their part to fix it. I had to assure them 4 times today that I've been home all day. I'm fairly certain that if I had stepped out for a bit, they would claim the package had been stolen off my porch, and they weren't to blame.

Again, I would gladly pay extra to have my parcels shipped UPS.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 21 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My FedEx ground shipments always go to an old lady about a mile away. Fortunately she has our number and just gives us a ring. My wife has called multiple times and I dove down to the local distribution center to look someone in the eye. Still can't teach the driver that he's going to the wrong place. Pain in the ass
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 21 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

No issues yet but time will tell,UPS/USDS have been 100% so far, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) they can be heavy price wise on large items.
My biggest gripe is people packing small items in large boxes,now that hurts my wallet time it gets to my country (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
+Quote Post
bretth
post Sep 21 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,882

I recently had an issue with UPS. They sent my package a block away, wrong street. Took a few days to get it back and it was actually USPS that found and returned it. After i complained, they came to my house and showed us an image of the street at the time the package was delivered. So it looks like there is a camera on the truck synced up to their hand held scanner. Was interesting in that it was very easy to prove they were at fault and that i had a valid complaint.
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 21 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #8

Update - no word from FedEx, but I now have my package from Pelican. It was again delivered to a house on a different street, 2 blocks away. The nice people who live there brought it to me again, same as last time.

While there is a some similarity in the house number, there is no similarity in the street name. No excuse for this level of inattention.

My address is like
4031 Mystreet Way

The other is like
4831 Otherstreet Street

Just sloppiness. I need to start requesting UPS when at all possible.
+Quote Post
daytona
post Sep 21 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #9

daytona

Member No.: 17,249
Region Association: South East States

We ship everyday and almost exclusively with FedEx ground and air, as well as FedEx freight.
We have no issues with the local route workers and for the most part we receive good service from FedEx when shipping and receiving. However, in coming freight from overseas is another issue. When they screw up they will not admit it. They lie, miss inform, and have a bad attitude.
Right now we are fighting with FedEx about a pallet that they picked up in Italy on the 8th (13 days ago) and still not here. According to their website the product cleared customs last Tuesday, and it is still sitting at the same terminal. To top it off they will not commit to when it will be delivered.
I have no issues with the local workers, it is the corporate attitude and those that work the phones that irritate me to no end. They just lie. I do not trust the company. Unfortunately for the commodity that we ship, FedEx is the best solution...for now.
The moment we figure a different way to ship they are history.
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Sep 21 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 21,351

Fed Ex will sometimes deliver packages on Sat due to independent drivers ( RE non union ) There is also an interface between USPS and Fed Ex where each can deliver each others packages.

I've seen that UPS will deliver to the USPS then USPS takes the package the final mile.

For the miss delivered packages, does the home or business have easily visible numerals? ( not script / cursive writing either ) This is critical if the business is located in a block of businesses making it difficult to tell who is who.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 21 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Don't discount shipping priority mail not using a flat rate box. Smaller lighter boxes. What might fit in a large FR, for example, box ships cheaper in a similar sized box that can be cut down and still goes priority. You just have to be a little creative. Plus, there in three days and you get a tracking #. Why pay for a weight allowance you don't need?

To make sure you get your packages delivered properly via UPS/FedEx, opt for signature required for delivery.
+Quote Post
My 914
post Sep 21 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #12

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

For ground shipping, I think USPS is a more reliable and sometimes less expensive option than Fed ex. For overnight or 2 day delivery though, I think Fed ex is the way to go.
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Sep 21 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,484
Region Association: Northern California

As an ex UPSer I say go with Big Brown. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Sep 21 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I worked for UPS (otherwise known as the "freight Nazis") for 20 years and I can tell you that they don't give half a $hit about your packages. Unless of course you are Amazon or some other big volume shipper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 21 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Sep 21 2017, 05:42 PM) *
Fed Ex will sometimes deliver packages on Sat due to independent drivers ( RE non union )
Those same independent, non-union drivers are a significant part of the problem around here. I’d gladly forego Saturday delivery for better reliability.
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 21 2017, 07:45 PM) *
I worked for UPS (otherwise known as the "freight Nazis") for 20 years and I can tell you that they don't give half a $hit about your packages.
But around these parts, they at least deliver them to the correct address.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 22 2017, 01:07 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Have you received any packages from DHL lately?

I haven't! Well, I mean I was supposed to, I have the tracking numbers, but they never show up and the local branch has yet to answer their phones.

I have had a couple damaged packages from UPS but they seem to get here more often than not
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 22 2017, 05:53 AM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I try to have my stuff delivered to my shop since I have found all these carriers do better when delivering to a commercial address than residential. In the winter, they won’t drive up my snow covered driveway and there’s always someone to sign at the shop or unload a heavy item.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 22 2017, 06:52 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2017, 03:53 AM) *

I try to have my stuff delivered to my shop since I have found all these carriers do better when delivering to a commercial address than residential. In the winter, they won’t drive up my snow covered driveway and there’s always someone to sign at the shop or unload a heavy item.

I think there are two FEDEX Grounds, the ones that do commercial, which is the former RPS, and the FEDEX Home Delivery. I think the weak link is the Home Delivery, those guys always seem to be low IQ angry at their jobs guys. This is probably why the problems are higher with the "little truck" guys.
But no calling FEDEX doesn't mean anything, it's all sub-contracted out. I once had a guy call about dropping a package, I was two minutes away, I asked where I could meet him, he hung up on me. I had to drive an hour to get the package at the FEDEX center. When I complained the lady gave me a blank look and said they would let the sub-contractor know my complaint, but she think's it's been sub-contracted twice the actual driver has no real link to FEDEX, other than his shirt. It's a bad system.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Sep 22 2017, 07:36 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

You have to take into account that there are people that ONLY RELY ON GPS. IF it can't be found on their device, they are lost! What's a MAP and how do you use it?
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Sep 22 2017, 07:59 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

When ordering, if given a choice I will always choose USPS and when shipping items I also use USPS +95% of the time. I am USPS retired with 40yrs service and worked at the plant in PGH, a large processing facility. Most of the people I supervised and worked with care very much about the job and accuracy and understand the competition among the parcel companies. My local carrier recently received an award for 1 Million miles accident free. The USPS and UPS drivers are usually the same guys, I see them everyday when I am walking the dogs. the FEDEX drivers are usually different. I have rarely had a problem with packages being delivered correctly, but there are a lot of packages delivered in my area.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:04 AM