Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Virginia Teener, Two mid-engine Porsche's in my garage?!?!
Gatornapper
post Sep 22 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Tried to find where new members introduce themselves then figured this is as good a place as any.

Well, today I bought my 3rd mid-engine Porsche - one I never dreamed I want or own, but as it dropped from heaven into my lap, I had to take it.

I drive a stunning dream car - a 2011 Cayman S, loaded, PDK, Sport Chrono, Turbo II wheels and much more - my 2nd Cayman. Always thought the 914 was the ugliest car Porsche ever made - but then, IT IS MID-ENGINE!

Well a true barn find (in a friend's barn for 12 years, but not his, about 40 miles from me) dropped in my lap this week, and I had to take it......a mint condition, virtually no-rust 1976 914 with an almost flawless body and interior - for a cost so low that if I told you I'd be arrested for stealing it!

Been a restorer of old Triumph motorcycles for years and never ever had a thought of restoring an old car - other than any old Porsche other than a 914!

But as condition of this 914 was incredible and the cost of this '76 was close to nothing, I could not refuse.

Am so glad to find this forum to help me through getting this car on the road. I do know it was running perfectly when it was driven in my friend's barn - he had been in it a lot that day, and was in it when it rolled in the barn, running better than new.

I'll fill you all in on the details shortly after my introduction here, and look forward to meeting many of you. I'm a frequent forum poster, and my thread on finding & restoring my 1972 Triumph Bonneville is one of the oldes and longest an highest rated threads on its forum - over 2,000 posts & replies, over 200 pages, and 5-Star rated:
http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-...-to-riding.html

I know I'm going to need a lot of help & wisdom, and glad to find a resource that can help!

GN
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Sep 22 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mitox
post Sep 22 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,302

Welcome from another Virginian

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
second wind
post Sep 22 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Hey gatornapper.....this site only is open to people who can wrestle three alligators at a time....not just one.....what gives?? Picking on that little lizard?

HaHa...welcome aboard!!
gg
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 22 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #5

gg -

Thanks to you and the other guys for the welcome.

Yeah, 1 gator at at time is my limit. I'm a wimp. Actually, you would not believe where the name came from - I was so named in a headline by a major city newspaper in 1965 - after a close friend and I "borrowed" a full-grown, 6', 200lb. alligator in a northern state for a prank. Long hilarious story, with newspaper articles in my possession - no - we were not sober. We were facing $6k fines and 6 years in jail because while we released the alligator in a pond in the woods, the pond fed a creek that led to the largest lake in Indiana, and the gator got into the big lake. Lake residents, finding a full-grown alligator in a northern Indiana lake wanted us put away for life. But we got off with a good chewing out from judge (who made us think we WERE getting life) with a $35 fine. My first taste of the mercy of God, for sure.

True story. And I have a thousand more like it.....

GN

QUOTE(second wind @ Sep 22 2017, 08:07 PM) *

Hey gatornapper.....this site only is open to people who can wrestle three alligators at a time....not just one.....what gives?? Picking on that little lizard?

HaHa...welcome aboard!!
gg

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 22 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) I like that you "own" that name. Now put up some photos or they don't exist....seriously, this is a good crowd and you will come to love the 914.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 22 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #7

Michael -

Ok - hearing "you will come to love the 914" coming from an owner of a 997.2 says an incredible lot! Being used to a 320hp mid-engine car that is only a few lbs. heavier than the 914, I've wondered how I could ever get used to 87hp.......

The PO raced 911's in major races, even some of the 24 hour ones - and he said someday he wants a 914/6.

One of my options I'm considering is putting an older 911 engine in mine.

But tooling around in the Targa with the top off in the mountains sounds very addicting to me - so I may indeed be content with leaving it stock.

I am so glad this forum exists. Believe me - I will use it.

GN

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 22 2017, 09:14 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) I like that you "own" that name. Now put up some photos or they don't exist....seriously, this is a good crowd and you will come to love the 914.

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 23 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #8

Ok guys (& gals?) - here's the scoop on the car.

No pics yet - only took detailed close ups of possible rust areas as car is in friend's dimly lit barn. Will have pics in a few weeks after I get the car to my place. We are at Outer Banks, NC starting tomorrow thru the end of the month.

BTW, I am a pretty good mechanic (extremely active 72), having a full auto shop/4 -5 car garage at my home with 10k lb. lift. I do everything on cars, trucks, motorcycles except for machine work and body work. My garage is full of motorcycles, 3 old Triumph's I dearly love and ride regularly, a '72 Honda CB350 (nephews - helping him restore), '86 Kaw Vulcan that was my son's and I want to sell, a 20 year old Harley Wide Glide, a 2009 Harley CVO Road Glide, my son's '04 Yamaha R6 and a daughter's new 2017 Triumph Bonneville Bobber (I led her to it after she decided she didn't like her Sportster any more - she loves the Bobber and it's mine to ride when she's working! Sweet.)

I live in the hardwood forest of VA on 15 forested acres in 1,000 acres of woods with 2 log homes I and my sons built together. I am an electrical engineer who got into computers in 1979 and have a degree in English as well. Yes - I'm weird.

As I was surveying the 914 for notorious rust problems I saw something I've never seen, and it really puzzled me. Original paint & body are almost flawless. Just need buffing out. 3 tiny rust bubbles in original paint under driver side corner of windshield, driver door window, Targa bar behind driver door.

BUT, all interior body panels - front & rear trunks, engine bay, etc., are clearly new paint. All panel areas look BRAND NEW! No rust - anywhere. Well, 3 small rust spots, 2 bubbles under windshield trim, one rust spot behind driver door.........HUH?!?!?

WHAT? NEVER seen that in my life.

Then got the PO on the phone. Answered every one of my 100 questions MORE than satisfactorily.

The car had a "frame off" paint app. with proper prep of POR 15 in the original color by the owner before him. It was a clearly professional job performed by someone who really knew what they were doing. Every nook & cranny I could see is new paint. I just wish they had taped off some of the labels under the lids. I think this was done about 20 years ago.

The car has Dual Throat Webber carbs on each side - and modern Electronic Ignition. WHAT? #2.

PO said that he ECU died, and a replacement could not be found. The local Porsche dealer suggested new Webber's and new EI, and performed the work - it was clearly professionally done, well done. Carbs need to be rebuilt due to ethanol sitting in them for over 10 years - but I rebuild carbs with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back. Never done Webbers, but they can't be that bad.

Fuel tank was removed and professionally cleaned, waiting for POR 15 lining with comes with car. New fuel lines, pump, filters, pressure regulator come with car. All need to be installed. Piece of cake.

Interior appears flawless - just needs a good cleaning.

I do see paint flaking from rocker panels and under car members and panels. Not sure why, but will drill down on that once car is on my lift in a couple weeks.

New competition front brakes have been installed. Tires are very good, but obviously will all have to be replaced due to age.

Won't know more until I get the car here and go through it. I know there will be hidden issues. I've been around the block a long time.

Still think I almost stole the car, and can't wait to restore it.

Will tell you all more as I learn.......

GN
+Quote Post
green914
post Sep 23 2017, 09:12 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 23 2017, 10:17 AM
Post #10

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 23 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #11

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.....WELCOME to the WORLD! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 24 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 23 2017, 02:02 PM) *

914 FRIENDS -

The more I learn about this amazing little car, the more excited I'm getting to get it home and in my garage. I've been reading everything I can find on the web, and here, and I had no idea this humble little 2000 lb. car had so much going for it.

This article really got me fired up:

https://petrolicious.com/articles/why-the-p...-is-collectable

I and my large family are at the Outer Banks, NC for our beach week together, waiting to see if hurricane Maria is coming to visit us.

So I won't be able to pick up my new sweetheart (glad my '11 Cayman S can't get jealous) in October - but I'm thinking I'm going to have a good classic car Detailer visit my 914 in my friend's barn and get her looking pretty before I bring her home. That way I can get some great pics of her and post them here for everyone to see.

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 25 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #13

914 Friends - thanks for all the warm welcomes.

QUESTION: Is there anywhere on this site where I can find/connect with other 914 owners in central Virginia?

TIA,

GN

'76 914 2.0
'11 Porsche Cayman S, PDK, Sport Chrono, Turbo II wheels in matching grey, loaded
'71 Triumph T100C Trophy 500, all original; '72 Triumph T120V Bonneville, mostly original; '74 Triumph T150V Trident, almost museum condition original (I ride all 3, last 2 fastest production bike '59-'69)
'97 Harley FXDWG Wide Glide; '09 Harley FLTSE3 CVO Road Glide
'96 F-150 4x4 w/factory Off-Road pkg.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 26 2017, 01:53 AM
Post #14

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

One of the most important upgrades is ditching the plastic fuel lines that run through the center tunnel (if it hasn't already been done). There are a couple of sources for stainless steel fuel lines and they're sold by good standing members on this forum ... Robert (Rotary'14) is out here on the west coast, and Chris (Racer Chris) is on the east coast.

Looking forward to seeing your barn find (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Harleys, Hondas and Yamahas in my stable too, but started off with a '38 Trophy 500 back in the early '70s ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biker.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 26 2017, 08:17 AM
Post #15

Thanks Mark - haven't seen them yet, but pretty sure the new fuel lines the PO is providing are stainless - the only way to go for sure.

Can't get to car til next week as we are in Outer Banks, NC enjoying the winds, waves & rain from Maria....;-)

Would love to see what a '38 Trophy 500 looked like - guessing it was a hot bike then.....but are you sure it was a '38? Didn't think the Trophy 500 existed then.....pretty sure what you had was a Tiger 500........

GN

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 26 2017, 01:53 AM) *

One of the most important upgrades is ditching the plastic fuel lines that run through the center tunnel (if it hasn't already been done). There are a couple of sources for stainless steel fuel lines and they're sold by good standing members on this forum ... Robert (Rotary'14) is out here on the west coast, and Chris (Racer Chris) is on the east coast.

Looking forward to seeing your barn find (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Harleys, Hondas and Yamahas in my stable too, but started off with a '38 Trophy 500 back in the early '70s ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biker.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 26 2017, 08:37 AM
Post #16

My Trumpies - only this shows my '73 Trident, now have '74....

http://s890.photobucket.com/user/rahanes/m...d15d62.jpg.html

'11 Cayman S -

http://s890.photobucket.com/user/rahanes/m...c7185d.jpg.html

http://s890.photobucket.com/user/rahanes/m...abe226.jpg.html
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Sep 26 2017, 09:58 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 5,610

Konrad
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 26 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #18

PICS! PICS! PICS!

These pics were taken by the owner from whom I purchased the car on the day he parked it in my friends barn/Quonset Hut 12 years ago. Car sits today just a few feet ahead of where pics were taken.

As I thought proper, I posted them under Members 914 Pictures.....here.......

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2531643

The paint is oxidized, but should look like this after a good but shallow polishing......

Whatchall think?

GN
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 26 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #19

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Sep 26 2017, 07:17 AM) *
Thanks Mark - haven't seen them yet, but pretty sure the new fuel lines the PO is providing are stainless - the only way to go for sure.

Can't get to car til next week as we are in Outer Banks, NC enjoying the winds, waves & rain from Maria....;-)

Would love to see what a '38 Trophy 500 looked like - guessing it was a hot bike then.....but are you sure it was a '38? Didn't think the Trophy 500 existed then.....pretty sure what you had was a Tiger 500........

GN
Could be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I acquired it from one of my brothers when he shipped out for Nam ... and he acquired it from another friend who built it some time in the '60s. I was told it was a 'Trophy' ... what was a 15 y/o to know back then?

I'll see if I can round up some old 'Brownie' camera pix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It was gold metalflake with green metalflake flames, cut-down 'Z' bars, a peanut tank and a solo seat pad. Got my first ticket on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/busted_cop.gif)
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Sep 26 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #20

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Sep 25 2017, 10:28 AM) *

914 Friends - thanks for all the warm welcomes.

QUESTION: Is there anywhere on this site where I can find/connect with other 914 owners in central Virginia?

TIA,

GN

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) from Yorktown VA
+Quote Post

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:56 PM