Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmission rebuild clinic, VA 12/30-31, Lets do this!
914Toy
post Nov 16 2017, 10:48 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Doc,

Not sure how to start discussion with you on this sight, so please indulge me with the following question:

I was talking to an experienced Porsche transmission mechanic today about I often have difficulty engaging second gear when the car is at a standstill - no other problems with my tranny. He said that the first gear design is different from second gear on up as first is designed to allow easy engagement when the car is stationary, where as the other gears are suited to engagement when the car is moving forward. I told him of the high regard we "914ers" have of you and he suggested I check his opinion on this difference between engaging gears when our cars are stationary. What is your opinion?

Thanks, Keith.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 17 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #122

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914Toy @ Nov 16 2017, 11:48 PM) *

Hi Doc,

Not sure how to start discussion with you on this sight, so please indulge me with the following question:

I was talking to an experienced Porsche transmission mechanic today about I often have difficulty engaging second gear when the car is at a standstill - no other problems with my tranny. He said that the first gear design is different from second gear on up as first is designed to allow easy engagement when the car is stationary, where as the other gears are suited to engagement when the car is moving forward. I told him of the high regard we "914ers" have of you and he suggested I check his opinion on this difference between engaging gears when our cars are stationary. What is your opinion?

Thanks, Keith.

Hey Keith,

I am always available through PM or email for you or anyone, I address stuff like this all the time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

As to your question, its kind of correct, but not clear. For shifting you need to understand the physics and mechanics behind how the transmission shifts:

You move the stick-->through rods the shift fork is actuated--> slider is pushed against the synchro band which has a rough parkerized coating on it that acts similar to a tire tread, it is intended for friction--> through the slider pushing on the synchro band the selected gear is sped up or slowed down to the speed of the shaft that the slider is attached to--> the slider then slides over the synchro band, locks against the dog teeth, and the band obtains some tension in all of this which enables it to retain the slider onto the teeth.

The above happens with every shift, quickly. Now, as far as some gears being designed to shift when stationary, that's not correct. 1st is different, but that is only because you do not "up shift" into first and thus internal to the dog teeth there is one energizing band rather than two (one for up and down shift). I don't have pics to better explain, but the general concept is all I am trying for at the moment. There was an actual bulletin from Porsche on 901 equipped cars instructing NOT to down shift into 1st as it is not necessary and caused premature failure of first gear parts. There are stickers placed in the books for the cars seen at the dealer/service places after this announcement/change.

As for not being able to shift into 2nd at a stand still, this is telling us a few things. You should be able to shift into any gear at any time, essentially. It will be harder the further apart the gears are in ratio and RPM; like harder to shift into first at 50mph. However, at a standstill you should have no issue hitting all of the gears UNLESS your clutch is dragging. When your clutch is dragging it causes the parts of the synchro package on the gear ( for 2nd would be synchro band, blocks, and energizer bands) to push the synchro band out and that makes sliding the slider on harder and can cause grinding or lack of engagement. If you are not getting grinding, then the synchro band is expanding very far and keeping the teeth of the slider from engaging/hitting the dog teeth.

Now, this assessment is based on my interpretation that you have an issue, that is constant, where you cant select 2nd at a standstill. I didn't see any further symptoms to go on so I went a little broad. Consequently, I often block out 1st completely on larger displacement engines with torque levels high enough to make 1st unnecessary and likely to be broken. These cars have no issue selecting 2nd at a stand still (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Nov 17 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 17 2017, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Nov 16 2017, 11:48 PM) *

Hi Doc,

Thanks, Keith.

Hey Keith,

I am always available through PM or email for you or anyone, I address stuff like this all the time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

As to your question, its kind of correct, but not clear. For shifting you need to understand the physics and mechanics behind how the transmission shifts:

You move the stick-->through rods the shift fork is actuated--> slider is pushed against the synchro band which has a rough parkerized coating on it that acts similar to a tire tread, it is intended for friction--> through the slider pushing on the synchro band the selected gear is sped up or slowed down to the speed of the shaft that the slider is attached to--> the slider then slides over the synchro band, locks against the dog teeth, and the band obtains some tension in all of this which enables it to retain the slider onto the teeth.

The above happens with every shift, quickly. Now, as far as some gears being designed to shift when stationary, that's not correct. 1st is different, but that is only because you do not "up shift" into first and thus internal to the dog teeth there is one energizing band rather than two (one for up and down shift). I don't have pics to better explain, but the general concept is all I am trying for at the moment. There was an actual bulletin from Porsche on 901 equipped cars instructing NOT to down shift into 1st as it is not necessary and caused premature failure of first gear parts. There are stickers placed in the books for the cars seen at the dealer/service places after this announcement/change.

As for not being able to shift into 2nd at a stand still, this is telling us a few things. You should be able to shift into any gear at any time, essentially. It will be harder the further apart the gears are in ratio and RPM; like harder to shift into first at 50mph. However, at a standstill you should have no issue hitting all of the gears UNLESS your clutch is dragging. When your clutch is dragging it causes the parts of the synchro package on the gear ( for 2nd would be synchro band, blocks, and energizer bands) to push the synchro band out and that makes sliding the slider on harder and can cause grinding or lack of engagement. If you are not getting grinding, then the synchro band is expanding very far and keeping the teeth of the slider from engaging/hitting the dog teeth.

Now, this assessment is based on my interpretation that you have an issue, that is constant, where you cant select 2nd at a standstill. I didn't see any further symptoms to go on so I went a little broad. Consequently, I often block out 1st completely on larger displacement engines with torque levels high enough to make 1st unnecessary and likely to be broken. These cars have no issue selecting 2nd at a stand still (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks Doc. As usual I, and I am sure fellow enthusiasts, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) really appreciate your insight and expertise to these issues. This has been very helpful and I will discuss this further with my interested mechanic and report back. I will also check my clutch adjustment
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 20 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #124

Another quick sign your clutch cable is too lose, you grind going into reverse. You should never grind as they are straight cut and there is no syncro goodies to match them. You basically are ramming the 1/R slider into the idler gear when you shift into R and if there is grinding it is because that idler gear, which is driven by the input shaft, is still spinning.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 29 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #125

Alright gents, about a month to go. Bearing sets have been ordered as have 1/R sliders. That was a massive chunk of change! I will update the paid status of those that have paid, soon. If you haven't paid, changed mind, wife found out and you are on lock down, let me know. Looking forward to this. Gonna be a busy weekend in that I will be driving out on Fri night after work, Scotty and his friends will be at a concert until 1-2am Sat so likely Ill get a hotel. Meet up and hit the ground running by 9am Sat. End whenever on Sat night. Back at it again on Sun about 9-10am, end likely early afternoon, then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Sun night, wake up Mon afternoon, hit the road to get home in time for court on Tues the 2nd at 1pm when my divorce becomes final! Exactly 2 years to the day she left and life is looking up, a lot. Roll with the punches, do no harm, but take not shit and perseverate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
LowBridge
post Nov 29 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 19,045
Region Association: North East States

We are so pumped for this event and cannot wait to me everyone..
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Nov 30 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #127

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Dec 1 2017, 11:44 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 18,493

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2017, 01:15 PM) *

Happening Dec 30-31.

UPDATE 11/1/17 - Address is
3200 Roxbury Rd
Charles City, VA 23030

Don't stay at the Star Motel! Its close, but nasty.

After talking with some folks, I think it would help to know ball park figures on repair cost as parts will depend on your needs. Usual cost including tuition, new bearings, seal kit, and the usual worn out parts (All used parts - 1st teeth/band/slider, 2nd teeth/band/slider) is about $1450. The maximum cost I could calculate with all parts, the bearings, seal kit, tuition, and a new 1/R slider is $1900.

Also, say your box needs something done, new R/P which I will not have time to replace likely at the clinic, I will take it back with me and do it at the shop and ship it out to you. With shipping, parts, labor this scenario would cost you an additional $550. So, worst case then would be $2450. Not bad for a rebuilt Porsche transmission. However, this scenario has never happened. Food for thought.

If you want to save $100-115 on shipping then feel free to drop off any box you want rebuilt to Scotty's shop and I will retrieve it after the clinic and take it back to the shop and place it in line for rebuild.

Also, contact me if you have cores local or between Columbus, OH and Richmond, VA for sale as I may be interested in picking some up.

UPDATE 10/22/17 - This is happening the weekend of New Years, Sat and Sun. Plan for a long session Sat in particular. Since the list is more finalized I will set up PM with info on bearings and such. I can group buy stuff and save you lots of $$.

Original post:
"So, some of you have kept up with my shit show of a personal life and can understand why I was not doing clinics for a while. Also, I have had to adapt and research to changes in our boxes as what worked 10 yrs ago may not work now; ex would be using old bearings. I have secured a source for new bearings and have verified in many builds that they are robust, and to factory spec, so they can be easily installed. Thus, I am able to once again start offering clinics as my time allows.

I have discussed it with Scotty B and he has graciously offered up his new shop near Richmond, VA as a venue for the clinic. It is within half a days drive for me so it is doable without me missing days from my day job that pays my bills. As soon as I get more time off saved up I will look into doing other clinics around the country, and Canada (yo, Mark!).

So, how does this go? Since there are a lot of new folks on here, click on the links in my sig below to see how we have done these in the past. I am keeping the cost the same ($300/head and 18 and below are free, free to spectate, take pics, etc), but expect to buy new bearing sets off of me. If you insist on using old bearings, I will not warranty that they will last. The more people that we get bearing sets, the cheaper for everyone. Not sure what I will cut off the class size at, I haven't been to Scotty's shop yet to see and will talk more with him as we have done them at his old place in the past and he is savvy.

When? Towards the end of the year is the earliest. Early Dec is looking like a possibility.

Lets see what interest we can generate!

Also, I am always willing to do a clinic here at my shop in OH, 43160. However, I am planning to sell the house/barn and move to the city and I am not sure I will have such a luxurious structure to do such things at in the future. (Divorce is a bitch!).

Guys from LA and NorCal have contacted me privately, they are needing/wanting, and I would love to meet that need as soon as I can. I just need to time off of work.

Washington, Mr242 has lit the fire and you are on my radar.

Canada, I can drive it in a day and Mark has a great place to host (and he just basically kicks ass).

Any others wanna throw their location in as a possible?

Post up here if interested, PM me if very serious and I will assemble a list of parts purchasers so I can see about getting a group discount from my suppliers. Man, I missed doing these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)"

VA clinic list update 11/1/17

wndsrfr
nditiz1
flyer86d - from VT!
LowBridge and son - from MA
bahnzai
billsimmeth
Phill W.
Movin6
BERNBRO02 - Ordered 1/R slider and bearings
Cuddyk

Hey Doc,

Not sure it matters but you've got my username wrong in the list.
It's BENBRO02
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 3 2017, 09:56 PM
Post #129

Ok, went through and updated the list on who paid and for what (my notes) and corrected BENBRO02.

The ones marked unsure mean I am unsure if yall are still going. Let me know. Bearings were ordered, and the box came apart on the way from the manufacturer so it was returned with some of the contents. Waiting for another week for the bearings....meanwhile transmission are backing up on my benches.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 4 2017, 09:04 AM
Post #130

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Doubt I'll be able to come down and hang out, but I'll let you know if the wife wants to get me out of the house for a day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 4 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #131

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 4 2017, 10:04 AM) *

Doubt I'll be able to come down and hang out, but I'll let you know if the wife wants to get me out of the house for a day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Why do we have to man-sit you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 4 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #132

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i have to bow out of this really hate to do that this late kn the game , i have to do a clutch on my d.d.(boxster). ugh! and a throttle body on my daufhters 528i - sucks,
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) sorry but both of these came up in the last week.

Dr. Phil
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 10 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #133

Updated first post. Looks like a solid 8 (+1 for son). Getting close. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Dec 15 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #134

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 10 2017, 03:11 PM) *

Updated first post. Looks like a solid 8 (+1 for son). Getting close. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If anybody has a hotel recommendation I'd appreciate it.
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Dec 15 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #135

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Dec 4 2017, 07:00 PM) *

i have to bow out of this really hate to do that this late kn the game , i have to do a clutch on my d.d.(boxster). ugh! and a throttle body on my daufhters 528i - sucks,
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) sorry but both of these came up in the last week.

Dr. Phil

Sorry you're not going to make. It was good meeting you and your car at Okteenerfest. (I was the bald guy in the Miata).
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 15 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #136

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 15 2017, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 10 2017, 03:11 PM) *

If anybody has a hotel recommendation I'd appreciate it.

I know two are at courtyard by Marriott Richmond airport. I may be booking there. Don't know yet. I will see this weekend what is closest/open. I will likely roll in way late after working a full day. Since Scotty and friends will be at a concert until 1-2am, I figure not worth showing up there. However, if I will be in that late, well....
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 16 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #137

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 15 2017, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Dec 4 2017, 07:00 PM) *

Dr. Phil

Sorry you're not going to make. It was good meeting you and your car at Okteenerfest. (I was the bald guy in the Miata).

yea i really was looking forward to doing another transmission, and seeing everyone, hanging out! is the Miata running? my 914 is right now at a shop in Columbia Sc being stripped down for repaint back to original Copper metallic! hoping to have it back on the road by spring- a spare transmission was a luxury i cant afford after having to do a full clutch job on the Boxster thst turned into IMS as well. none of which was in the budget with the body and paint foe the 914- hope to see you all at next year Okteenerfest!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 17 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #138

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A 3 day window is really great. It can be a bit hectic trying to get all of the boxes done in one day.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 17 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #139

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 17 2017, 11:23 AM) *

A 3 day window is really great. It can be a bit hectic trying to get all of the boxes done in one day.

2 day. I do these in 2 days. Sat-sun.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Dec 18 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #140

Member No.: 18,763

Booked my room at the Courtyard by Marriott Richmond Airport
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:53 PM