Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 9 10 11  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmission rebuild clinic, VA 12/30-31, Lets do this!
Movin6
post Jun 21 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #201

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,615
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 18 2018, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Jun 18 2018, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 8 2018, 04:51 PM) *

Here is the email I sent you.
“20.

If you pull the shift console, then try to see if you can move the 1 and 2nd rods you encounter into a gear. That piece locks in the other rod when you shift. So, shift the first rod fore or aft, then try to shift the other rod. If it will shift, that part is missing. If it won’t, then that was someone’s spare that made it into your parts. ”

OK, thanks. The shift console is still off, but looking in I can only see one bronze shift fork. This is a modified side-shifter. Do I need to take off the bottom plate at the back end?
Pic attached.

No need to remove anything. Please re-read my instructions from this step and let me know what needs clarified.
"shift the first rod fore or aft, then try to shift the other rod (next rod in). If it will shift, that part is missing. If it won’t, then that was someone’s spare that made it into your parts. " Ill bet you $100 that what you have is a spare from one of the parts boxes. The fork you see is on the rod I was talking about. Move the fork/slider fore or aft to lock that in a gear, then try to shift the other rod/fork/slider. If you can even budge the next rod/fork/slider then that piece is missing.

The detent is mine... I can move one fork all the way and still move another. Can I trade the $100 I just 'won' for instructions to put it back in? :-/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 21 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #202

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Jun 21 2018, 09:36 PM) *

“20.

If you pull the shift console, then try to see if you can move the 1 and 2nd rods you encounter into a gear. That piece locks in the other rod when you shift. So, shift the first rod fore or aft, then try to shift the other rod. If it will shift, that part is missing. If it won’t, then that was someone’s spare that made it into your parts. ”

OK, thanks. The shift console is still off, but looking in I can only see one bronze shift fork. This is a modified side-shifter. Do I need to take off the bottom plate at the back end?
Pic attached.

No need to remove anything. Please re-read my instructions from this step and let me know what needs clarified.
"shift the first rod fore or aft, then try to shift the other rod (next rod in). If it will shift, that part is missing. If it won’t, then that was someone’s spare that made it into your parts. " Ill bet you $100 that what you have is a spare from one of the parts boxes. The fork you see is on the rod I was talking about. Move the fork/slider fore or aft to lock that in a gear, then try to shift the other rod/fork/slider. If you can even budge the next rod/fork/slider then that piece is missing.

The detent is mine... I can move one fork all the way and still move another. Can I trade the $100 I just 'won' for instructions to put it back in? :-/

At this point, we should talk. I will verify the test with you. You can move the first and third rod, but not any adjacent rod. I’ll get you hooked up.
+Quote Post
Movin6
post Jun 22 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #203

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 21 2018, 11:00 PM) *

“20.

Pic attached.

At this point, we should talk. I will verify the test with you. You can move the first and third rod, but not any adjacent rod. I’ll get you hooked up.

Wait... Just re-read - about not moving adjacent. Moving the visible fork (The shifter farthest in.) does lock the middle (adjacent) rod. the middle rod only moves only will move aprox half an inch.
Having another cup of coffee and will re-verify in a bit.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 22 2018, 12:55 PM
Post #204

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Jun 22 2018, 11:48 AM) *

“20.

Pic attached.

Wait... Just re-read - about not moving adjacent. Moving the visible fork (The shifter farthest in.) does lock the middle (adjacent) rod. the middle rod only moves only will move aprox half an inch.

You wont owe me $100 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) The reason I'm 99% sure its not your piece is because we verify that very test you are doing during the clinic. You kept all of your parts in good order, too.
+Quote Post
Movin6
post Jun 28 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #205

“20.

Pic attached.

So the middle fork (2nd / 3rd) didn't move easily when reaching in with a large screwdriver through the shift console hole, so I mounted the fork, shifted it into 2nd or 3rd (Never can figure out which way is equivalent to moving shifter forward or backwards...)
With it engaged in gear neither of the adjacent shafts could be moved.
So all is good, the good Doctor is correct - someone tossed a spare detent in to my box...
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 28 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #206

QUOTE(Movin6 @ Jun 28 2018, 03:56 PM) *

“20.

Pic attached.

So the middle fork (2nd / 3rd) didn't move easily when reaching in with a large screwdriver through the shift console hole, so I mounted the fork, shifted it into 2nd or 3rd (Never can figure out which way is equivalent to moving shifter forward or backwards...)
With it engaged in gear neither of the adjacent shafts could be moved.
So all is good, the good Doctor is correct - someone tossed a spare detent in to my box...

Ya. I always check. Until I miss one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
bobcagle
post Jan 4 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #207

Member No.: 23,800
Region Association: None

How can I buy one of your videos..THanks
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 5 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #208

QUOTE(bobcagle @ Jan 4 2020, 04:34 PM) *

How can I buy one of your videos..THanks

PM me and I can get you the info.
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:19 AM