Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914s available to a good home, we always have them in stock in all price ranges
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 20 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

The 73 Green 914 with the 2.0 fuel injected engine, is going to be sort of a street rod, with the ats wheels, low profile tires, 22mm front adjustable sway bar, white faced gauges, silver knit tan carpet set, performance springs, limited edition spoiler, and abs raised letter rocker panels. Pics here are of the jack posts and inner rockers. This car will be a good driver but CERTAINLY no princess!!!!

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 30 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Here is an underneath shot of the red 2.0 we just brought it in. As typical of an illinois car, sort of rusty colored underneath but the floor pan is original and strong. Our next move is to take off the fiberglass rockers and see what we find! Guy said that the longs were "reinforced" We shall see! (at least it has nice stainless steel heat exchangers!!)

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 31 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Well today, we got the green 2.0 running well after cleaning the fuel lines and installing a rebuilt factory fuel pump. We are cleaning the fuel tank and should have it back in shortly. We are also finishing up on the floor pan (we are installing two floor pan triangles, and then will reinstall the interior with new carpeting. We are reinstalling the side vinyl and roll bar trim, and completing a major service and brake job before taking it for a shakedown cruise with final details. Should have it ready at the end of next week

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 31 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

The Red 73 2.0 is another matter. We knew that we would have to do a bit of work on this car as the owner said that he had had the chassis reinforced, and asl we started work on this car we really got into it, just as I thought. The original owner said that the chassis had been reinforced, so when we removed the fiberglass rockers we were not surprised to see reinforcement, but what they did was a TOTAL waste of time. Instead of replacing the inner rockers jack posts and sill plate, they spent HOURS custom fabricating two big reinforcement panels and spot welded them onto the original parts! As you can see we cut them off, will be installing our new pieces, and return the car to its original state

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=625
906]Attached ImageAttached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Oct 31 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,103

Woow, is this the red 1973 " the one to have".... and "one owner original window sticker 2.0 runs well. 12,000 dollars." car ?

Glad I didn't jump right in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

good luck on fighting the rust devil

krgds
Dax

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 31 2017, 09:52 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Yes the same one, but was not ready to sell until we fixed it, so even if you had "jumped in" you would not have been able to purchase until we were finished with it.

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 31 2017, 08:49 AM) *

Woow, is this the red 1973 " the one to have".... and "one owner original window sticker 2.0 runs well. 12,000 dollars." car ?

krgds
Dax

+Quote Post
dax1969
post Oct 31 2017, 09:58 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 31 2017, 04:52 PM) *

Yes the same one, but was not ready to sell until we fixed it, so even if you had "jumped in" you would not have been able to purchase until we were finished with it.

krgds
Dax

good to know but how do you set price (in yr initial ad) without knowing what you will find ? Will you still sell it at 12 K now that you found this (and perhaps other issues ?).
Just asking as I had nearly closed a deal on a car which looked great but where rust was discovered during ppi and price went up to get it fixed

krgds
Dax

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 31 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

I knew that I had to do some repair, but this was a good car with a margin in it, Just to give you an idea, I purchased it for 5000 plus 550 to get it here. Therefore I have 7500 to repair and make a small profit and put another 914 back on the road. This car has credential, has never been hit, and has all of the paperwork. PLUS we do cars like this all of the time, make the parts to repair, and can Zip through it as this damage is not bad at all. We have repaired MUCH worse (like brutus the 916!!!!) Anyway I am going to post pictures as we proceed so you can see how the repair is done, and how relatively easy it is. Steel rocker panels will go back on as well

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 31 2017, 08:58 AM) *

krgds
Dax

good to know but how do you set price (in yr initial ad) without knowing what you will find ? Will you still sell it at 12 K now that you found this (and perhaps other issues ?).
Just asking as I had nearly closed a deal on a car which looked great but where rust was discovered during ppi and price went up to get it fixed

krgds
Dax
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 31 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #29

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 31 2017, 04:15 PM) *

I knew that I had to do some repair, but this was a good car with a margin in it, Just to give you an idea, I purchased it for 5000 plus 550 to get it here. Therefore I have 7500 to repair and make a small profit and put another 914 back on the road. This car has credential, has never been hit, and has all of the paperwork. PLUS we do cars like this all of the time, make the parts to repair, and can Zip through it as this damage is not bad at all. We have repaired MUCH worse (like brutus the 916!!!!) Anyway I am going to post pictures as we proceed so you can see how the repair is done, and how relatively easy it is. Steel rocker panels will go back on as well
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 31 2017, 08:58 AM) *

krgds
Dax

krgds
Dax

i would be surprised if its just the rockers. Usually a car this bad needs the hell hole, engine shelf, suspension consoles, inner long under the hell hole, and rear pans.
Who knows what other poor quality repairs are under the respray.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Oct 31 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #30

Interesting... will follow this thread
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 1 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

actually not too bad. We have seen a lot of these cars bought by the original owners and driven in the winter for a few years where debris packs itself under the exterior rocker panels and gets the inner rockers and jack posts but not the floor pan battery area or longitudinals. This is one of them, not really a rust bucket and well worth repairing. Never damaged, lower miles, and very nice original trim.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 1 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

pics of the green 73 2.0 underneath

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 2 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

so after completing the bracing process yesterday, today we begin cutting. Please notice that we are removing the parts as much as we can to the factory spot welds, and since we make all of the parts to repair, have them readily available with no waiting!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 2 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

This next picture or two shows a mockup of all of the steel parts we sell for this area and how they go together. Even for the best puzzle guy it is always nice to see the parts all together to use as a guide.

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 6 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

We are working on both the Green 2.0 and the red 2.0, while the orange 76 is at the paint shop. As you can see we are getting down to clean metal on the red one, while the green just needs a small bit of repair.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 6 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #36

914 Guru

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 6 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

and the green one, not so bad

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 7 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

Today, we are finishing the small bit of rear floor pan work on the green 2.0 Yesterday we installed a new master cylinder, and later today we will rebuild the left rear brake caliper and bleed the system. We are getting close to a test drive on the green one, then cleanup, install the new carpeting, and reinstall the interior. This will make a good driver for someone

+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 7 2017, 11:37 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Dr, since you are lap welding those floor sections, how about a topside pic showing the tar removed and the weld areas properly sealed? Why not butt weld the sections in? I'd be worried about water intrusion on a lap weld.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 7 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

no lap welding only butt welding! We are fitting and then trimming and then fitting and then butt welding. I HATE lap welding except for the butchers. On the other hand, we do spot weld where the factory originally spot welded so at the very back of the floor pan, the sections are spotted as are the floor pan triangles. We also are replacing the floor pan tar where we removed it keeping as much of the good original as possible. We will caulk and spot paint the repaired areas. Our intension is to save as much of the original pan as possible

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:26 AM