Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn Signal Switch, Replace?
mmascari
post Oct 9 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

How easy is it to replace the turn signal switch? When I turn the indicator up or down it has to be in a certain position for the turn signal to activate. If I turn it all the way up or down and leave it in that position it does not activate the turn signals. I tried cleaning the contacts with no luck. Any advice other than replacement?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 9 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

There's not much to the turnsignal contacts. What resistance do you measure when moving the stalk to either turnsignal?

Clean the contact with very fine sandpaper, clean with contact cleaner. Make sure the contacts touch when engaged. You may need to gently bend the contacts to make better contact.

I wouldn't replace it without understanding what is not working and whether the contacts can be cleaned and adjusted.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 9 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 10 2017, 02:16 PM) *

There's not much to the turnsignal contacts. What resistance do you measure when moving the stalk to either turnsignal?

Clean the contact with very fine sandpaper, clean with contact cleaner. Make sure the contacts touch when engaged. You may need to gently bend the contacts to make better contact.

I wouldn't replace it without understanding what is not working and whether the contacts can be cleaned and adjusted.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) got mine working fine doing the same things,stock is best with a tidy up ,replacements can be a mixed bag...from rubbish to average.
+Quote Post
dgraves
post Oct 11 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #4

1974 914 2.0

Member No.: 20,076
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

What about a signal switch that does not cancel (turn off) after the turn is completed? What could be wrong?

Thank you.
+Quote Post
tmc914
post Oct 11 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,452
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dgraves @ Oct 11 2017, 08:02 PM) *

What about a signal switch that does not cancel (turn off) after the turn is completed? What could be wrong?

Thank you.

Drives me crazy when the turn signal does not cancel. I am thinking about replacing the whole switching unit for my 1973 914. All I need is an expert to say that is most likely the thing to do and I will order up a new one this week. The High beam wont stay on either so it must be the switching unit. Get two birds with one stone.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Oct 12 2017, 06:11 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(tmc914 @ Oct 11 2017, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(dgraves @ Oct 11 2017, 08:02 PM) *

Thank you.

Drives me crazy when the turn signal does not cancel. I am thinking about replacing the whole switching unit for my 1973 914. All I need is an expert to say that is most likely the thing to do and I will order up a new one this week. The High beam wont stay on either so it must be the switching unit. Get two birds with one stone.

High beam not staying on isn't likely the TS switch. The TS hi beam contact is a momentary contact when the stalk is pulled that causes the relay to switch from hi to low or vice versa. I would think the relay is causing your hi beam issue.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:19 AM