Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> May have found my transmission problem?
ChrisFoley
post Oct 20 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #21

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914bub @ Oct 20 2017, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 20 2017, 05:27 AM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Oct 11 2017, 02:01 AM) *

After reading a bunch of threads here I decided to pull the nose cone and replaced first gear and syncho with a marginally better set of parts out of a side-shifted core trans I have here.

Did you replace the slider?

Yes, I did, however, it was used.

If the slider isn't dead, I would suggest a new synchro brake band might take care of any grinding.
If it won't stay in gear, you need a new 1st/reverse slider, new synchro ring on first gear, and probably a new brake band as well. Low mileage used (ie. VG condition) would also be acceptable.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Oct 20 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 21,351

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 11 2017, 10:53 AM) *

Yes it should have the hourglass shape. The wear points are on the fore/aft surfaces. I've used brass shim stock before, to remove excess free play between those two components.

These parts are cast steel and a can easily be welded up / ground down.
+Quote Post
914bub
post Oct 20 2017, 11:37 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 16,260

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 20 2017, 12:02 PM) *

Just to be thorough, ground strap in place? If not the cable becomes the ground and erodes/stretches until it breaks.

However, your question about shifter adjustment makes me think that there may be your issue. Read my 31 pages of notes link below, it has a shifter and clutch adjustment section for how I do it. Racer Chris has another method that is different than mine, but is also tried and true. Check that stuff and get back to us.

FYI, most tail shifters are really roached and not great for conversion. However, I have everything you need inside and out so you are not totally boned. Really just not optimal, but still workable.

Ground strap is in place. I have read your notes but it has been a long while since I did. I haven't reread recently and will do so. I've also read Racer Chris' method on the shifter adjustment.I bought 2 sideshift trans from a friend who parted one out of his sons wrecked 73 and one he had out of his 75 that had issues. By issues I mean something was ground up inside but it wasn't first gear.The 75 trans is the one I pulled the first gear and related parts out of.

I think all I need to complete my conversion parts list are the brackets and bolts that go at the ends of the engine mount bar. I'll dig my parts out and get a WTB ad placed. Thanks again for all the input.
+Quote Post
914bub
post Oct 21 2017, 12:46 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,260

I ran out and took a picture of what I have for transmission conversion parts. I also have the transmission of course. Am I correct in thinking I am only missing the two kind of triangular brackets that go on the rubber mounts and the bolts that go up through the end of the engine mount bar as well as the upper "tabs" that go on the bolts?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Oct 21 2017, 07:58 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914bub @ Oct 20 2017, 11:46 PM) *

I ran out and took a picture of what I have for transmission conversion parts. I also have the transmission of course. Am I correct in thinking I am only missing the two kind of triangular brackets that go on the rubber mounts and the bolts that go up through the end of the engine mount bar as well as the upper "tabs" that go on the bolts?

Attached Image

Looks like you need the steel U tabs/bolts/nuts/washers that replace the early rubber mounts, the late rubber mounts that mount on the late cross bar, the engine mount brackets, and all new conv bushings. You may want to reach out to Bruce Stone or Garold Shaffer for the missing parts.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:13 AM