Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some People Never Learn, repeat offender becomes a "three-peat" offender
76-914
post Oct 12 2017, 08:29 PM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 12 2017, 09:12 AM) *

Congrats!! If the new car stresses you out, your welcome to let one of your 914 so cal friends borrow it!! Hint.. hint...

I'll probably sell it to some 22yo kid then move so he doesn't come back wanting me to R&R the CV's every week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
EDIT: Hey Mike, it doesn't have first gear and was not replaced during the rebuild. Presumably, the PO didn't want to spring for it or someone recommended not having it w/ the V8. I have the gears to replace it. What's your opinion on installing a 1st gear?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Oct 12 2017, 08:33 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,794

nice looking car Kent. Can’t wait to see it in person.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 13 2017, 09:28 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That is a GREAT engine for a 914. You're gonna love it. Hope it checks out and she fires right up for you.
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Oct 13 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #24

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Damn, from an air box put on backward to a V8....CRAZY (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Oct 13 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Straight out of the headers and into the mufflers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Wow that is a short exhaust! Kent, I was going to ask you when you plan on firing it up, but I am pretty sure I will have no problem hearing it here in Denver! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Nice addition to the stable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 13 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 13 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Damn, from an air box put on backward to a V8....CRAZY (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Your not going to let me forget that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I deserve it. What Jim is referring to is a RRC back in 2010, IIRC. I drove my 1st 914 (76-2.0) to the event and I was prouder than a two petered Puppy. I had only had it 8 months and driving it for about 4 months. Anyway, I had the engine grille open when Jim walks by and points out to me that my air cleaner was installed 180 degrees off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I wondered why I needed that tennis ball to keep the snout from rubbing against the wheel well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) Embarrassing to say the least. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Chris, I'm not sure if I will like it or not. If I wanted a dragster then yes. And I may dust a few fannies for the Hell of it but I'm not so sure of how it will handle. I really, really like the Suby flat six. It's marriage made in Heaven . er my garage that is.
Yea Ray, it probably will be loud but I've gotten some good advice on mufflers from Bob (Bigkat83), Andrew, Mike B & others who went before me with SBC's so that helps.
I do vacillate between titles for the new thread. Should I call it a "Build Thread" or an "Assembly Thread"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) What do you guys think? I need to start it because I already have some "brake" questions for the collective brain trust.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 13 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #27

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Nice Car, enjoy the process.

BTW, toss the carb, and put some EFI on it. FAST Injection Kit is about as easy as it gets.

Install article

Enjoy the work
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 13 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #28

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Third Strike.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 13 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 13 2017, 04:32 PM) *

BTW, toss the carb, and put some EFI on it. FAST Injection Kit is about as easy as it gets.

Install article

Enjoy the work

I'll keep it in mind Stephen. If the carb works I'll leave it. No sense in dropping 2K into it if not needed. This will never be my cruiser. Just a toy to put together, drive a bit and flip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Oct 13 2017, 11:14 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 21,151

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 13 2017, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 13 2017, 04:32 PM) *

Install article

Enjoy the work

I'll keep it in mind Stephen. If the carb works I'll leave it. No sense in dropping 2K into it if not needed. This will never be my cruiser. Just a toy to put together, drive a bit and flip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Dang I wish I was closer so I can test drive it and help out with a little wrench time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 14 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 12 2017, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 12 2017, 07:35 AM) *

What engine is in that thing? What needs to be done to get it running?

Chris, I'm told it's a 68 327 .30 over (338 ci) flat top's w/ valve reliefs. I haven't ID'd the heads yet but the info I received was 993 heads, 2.02" I & 1.60" E valves, 76cc chambers, estimated cam lift on intake .450". I have nothing on the Ex lift. Compression 9.0. Appx HP 300. What I gleamed from some SBC sites re: torque is maybe 350 ft lbs. I don't yet know if it is a 4 bolt main or not. Moot point for me because IIRC, not much increase in torque after 5000rpm so no need to spool up the RPM's. PO said they did the 20 min break in. It hasn't been fired up since. I won't know Diddley until she fires up. The wiring needs to be sorted out but to answer your question; I need to get 12v to the dizzy/coil, connect fuel lines, fill tank, wire up electric choke and water pump, run and secure radiator lines. Here's a few pic's of the head which I'll need to ID. The last time I worked on an SBC there were only a few heads; Power Pack and FI, IIRC but that was in 1979.

From the break in run:

Some ID marks on the heads

Another

Uno mas

Have you googled the engine casting number ?
It's in your first cylinder head picture but not legible.
At least you'll know what it started life as.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 14 2017, 10:16 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 14 2017, 05:05 AM) *

Chris, I'm told it's a 68 327 .30 over (338 ci) flat top's w/ valve reliefs. I haven't ID'd the heads yet but the info I received was 993 heads, 2.02" I & 1.60" E valves, 76cc chambers, estimated cam lift on intake .450". I have nothing on the Ex lift. Compression 9.0. Appx HP 300. What I gleamed from some SBC sites re: torque is maybe 350 ft lbs. I don't yet know if it is a 4 bolt main or not. Moot point for me because IIRC, not much increase in torque after 5000rpm so no need to spool up the RPM's. PO said they did the 20 min break in. It hasn't been fired up since. I won't know Diddley until she fires up. The wiring needs to be sorted out but to answer your question; I need to get 12v to the dizzy/coil, connect fuel lines, fill tank, wire up electric choke and water pump, run and secure radiator lines. Here's a few pic's of the head which I'll need to ID. The last time I worked on an SBC there were only a few heads; Power Pack and FI, IIRC but that was in 1979.

From the break in run:

Another

Uno mas

Not yet. I tried to ID the heads from the PO's pics and narrowed it down to 2. I haven't checked since I took some good pic's. Thanks for the tip on the block, Rory. Didn't know that. I'll check this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 14 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 14 2017, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 14 2017, 05:05 AM) *

From the break in run:

Another

Uno mas

Not yet. I tried to ID the heads from the PO's pics and narrowed it down to 2. I haven't checked since I took some good pic's. Thanks for the tip on the block, Rory. Didn't know that. I'll check this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Same goes for the cylinder heads.
The casting number is under the valve cover.
Google "Chevy block casting numbers"
More info than you'll ever need.
Written report please.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 10 2017, 03:35 AM
Post #34

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Just heard about this one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Looks like fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 10 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 10 2017, 01:35 AM) *

Just heard about this one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Looks like fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

It should be. Hopefully fire it up in the next 2 weeks.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 14 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #36

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That poor transmission (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 15 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 14 2017, 12:31 PM) *

It should be OK. It came from one of your east coast rebuild clinic's and has the "H" gear. I don't plan on stomping on it off the line. Hopefully one of the fuses, aka 914 CV's, will pop first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
EDIT: Hey Mike, it doesn't have first gear and was not replaced during the rebuild. Presumably, the PO didn't want to spring for it or someone recommended not having it w/ the V8. I have the gears to replace it. What's your opinion on installing a 1st gear?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 15 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #38

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 15 2017, 11:50 AM) *

It should be OK. It came from one of your east coast rebuild clinic's and has the "H" gear. I don't plan on stomping on it off the line. Hopefully one of the fuses, aka 914 CV's, will pop first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Absolutely useless with your low end tq. If that person followed my advice (and it sounds like they did) then gearing will be F/O/X/flipped H. Its the safest, most liked, and most useful for high torque engines. Torque is the killer on these boxes so that is why the V8 can be risky. If driven with limitations in mind, it can last a long time.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 15 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #39

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I kept first. With 255/50/16s it's too hard on the clutch to get it moving. I had Brad Mayer do mine with the HB 5th I got from evil.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 15 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #40

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 15 2017, 08:50 AM) *

I never used it for anything other than loading on and off a trailer. If you find yourself seeing a trailer often than maybe... But in reality its 100% not needed. 2nd will probably spin the tires on full throttle depending on how much torque you have.

1st hangs off the shaft and is very weak.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:05 AM