Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Evil's Tranny Clinic in Canada, part 3 pre-planner, late spring 2018
Mark Henry
post Oct 18 2017, 10:32 AM
Post #21

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 18 2017, 12:00 PM) *

I'm definitely interested. I'd be flying in from the San Francisco area so probably wouldn't bring a tranny, but happy to pay the full tuition.

I'd camp at the site. A place in the motorhome would be nice. Would be nice to not have to schlep a tent in my luggage....
Andrew Blyholder

To Canada?
If you were I'd make a vacation of it, 1000 lakes starting 10 minutes from my place, camping, fishing, or if you like city Toronto is less than an hour away.

No motorhome, I do have our tent trailer up for grabs. If a few guys want to split rent on a camp trailer I could ask a few neighbors if they would want to rent theirs out. Their's a couple of places that rent RV's and a few B&B around.

Space isn't a problem, lots of camping space, you could bring a transport truck if you want. Community campfire, Doc will bring his guitar, Beverages will be consumed, for those that stay and camp out.

Date will be set the first of the new year, or whenever the doc tells me the weekend he'll be coming.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 18 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #22

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 18 2017, 12:00 PM) *

I'm definitely interested. I'd be flying in from the San Francisco area so probably wouldn't bring a tranny, but happy to pay the full tuition.

I'd camp at the site. A place in the motorhome would be nice. Would be nice to not have to schlep a tent in my luggage.

I'm an long time autocrosser, but gearing up to start doing track events. I've rebuilt two boxes myself already with no major problems, but interested in improving my technique and knowledge. My interest is is building track trannys, so I'm interest in subjects like:
- gear ratio selection
- tips about swapping gear ratios
- 904 input shafts for non-standard 2nd gears
- installing/adjusting limited slip differentials
- checking pinion/ring gear alignment
- judgement in inspecting worn parts (i.e. what's ok to reuse, what should be tossed.)
- modifications to accept more horsepower (alum. intermediate plate?)
- information on the known weak points in the 901 (what breaks first when you start racing these things)
- use of 915 gearbox in 914

Exact schedule will impact my ability to come, so the sooner you can set a date the easier it will be for me to finalize plans.

Fantastic to see this happening. Just what I need!

Andrew Blyholder

Dude, your enthusiasm is awesome! However, you do not need to go to such great lengths and expense. There will be clinics in the PNW and in Cali in the up coming year that will be closer and easier.

As for your questions, some of the basics are covered in my DVD set, contact me for a copy ($35 shipped). It will cover inspection of parts and such.

Regarding gear ratio selection, that is a very personal and broad topic that has come up dozens if not hundreds of times over the last 10+ years here. Best is always to ask those that have done it. Engine, tires, wheel size, carbs/fi, suspension all play a role in it. Case in point, I have a dear friend that I do work for and he has been racing Porsche since the 60s. He has a 914 with a 2.2 in it, I built him a box with A, GA, M, S, X and he has shaved 2 sec off of his runs at VIR with it. He likes it on Sears Point as well. He knew what he wanted and we were able to discuss. Also, you have to consider cost. Is it worth $1000+ for the 904 shaft, add more $$ for the gears. I would say that most people say "No" as I have had some 904 gears sitting around for a long time and have only ever sold one set. I think I still have an E set, sold a J set. I seldom, like less than 4-5 times, have been asked to install a 904 shaft in anyone's box. Wisdom says build a box close to idea for the least amount as you can, and then see if it is worth it to go the extra $$. Yes, I talk myself out of sales often, but that is because ethics mean a lot to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

For differential set up, R/P stuff, I do not cover this in the DVD. Doing this part requires some special tools, or significant trial and error + risk if you don't have the tools. The way I guide through the rebuild in the DVD shows how to preserve the R/P setup so you should not need the special tools. I have guided some folks in far away places like NZ and Oz on how they could set them without the tools using Prussian blue, trial and error, and luck and so far no issues, but I am not confident on this method for everyone and it does not address backlash appropriately (however a tool for this can be pretty easily made). Doing LSD rebuild is easy if all else is correct (backlash, ring and pinion). Installing an LSD without the proper set tools for setting R/P and backlash is a waste of time and money and very risky for expensive damage or worse. Setting the R/P and backlash actually takes at least half, but often more than half of the rebuild time. If I don't need to set R/P because parts look appropriate and I can preserve the preset dimension, I can rebuild in like 8 hrs. If I have to do R/P/BL it can easily take another day or more to get that crap right.

So, ask questions on the forum, there are many smart folks out there. Feel free to PM me directly. Do go to a clinic if there is one near you, or feel free to make a trip out of it as you can see that all of my hosts are friendly folks and old friends of mine. If you think the DVD is something that will help you, hit me up and I will sent you a set, I always have copies lying around and there are well over 300 in circulation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Oct 30 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

I think I'm busy that day.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 30 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 30 2017, 08:49 PM) *

Shit, one of them found us.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Oct 30 2017, 09:42 PM
Post #25

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

No. No you're not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 31 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(MDG @ Oct 30 2017, 11:42 PM) *

Awe, ya both onto this thread now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Oct 31 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #27

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

Hello.... Doctor.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/f2.ifrm.com-10018-1509485662.1.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 1 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #28

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 31 2017, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Oct 30 2017, 11:42 PM) *

Awe, ya both onto this thread now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

You had to go there....Why....just why???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpmIj0uX8rU
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Nov 1 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #29

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

I'm pretty sure it was Peter who entertained us with almost two hours of a capella ABBA. It was pretty good actually. And the costume was a nice touch.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mobymutt
post May 2 2018, 01:20 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 16,770

What's the status of the Canadian clinic?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 2 2018, 05:15 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(mobymutt @ May 2 2018, 03:20 PM) *

What's the status of the Canadian clinic?

Right now Mark is dealing with some heavy family stuff so this is on hold until further notice. Friends first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:19 AM