Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My '70 V-8 Assembly Thread, a few updates and pic's
Mueller
post Jan 4 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #81

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 14 2017, 07:41 AM) *

Anyone wanting a radio in that car should not be allowed to own it...I am obviously not a fan of sound systems in what I believe are "drivers cars". The "soundtrack" is built in...now if it were a SIX, maybe... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Not that I follow these cars (I do notl) but the most expensive 901/SBC 914 I ever saw sold went for 18.5 (back in '09l). That car was exceedingly clean with a brand-new crate motor.

Tony

Getting stuck in traffic a few times and you'll wish you had a radio or at least ear buds for your phone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 4 2018, 11:54 AM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Great idea Kent - great Dad!!! I hope he doesn't look up your posts here...

Tony

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 4 2018, 12:32 PM) *

I've decided to surprise my son in Tx with this car and want him to have a fully functional transmission.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 4 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #83

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Nice.

Don't forget to add transport to the purchase price. Still a great deal.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jan 4 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #84

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

I don't know how people get anything done on their conversion if they don't work on them daily. I didn't touch mine for two weeks because of the Holidays & and related travels. I went out to the garage last nite and just stared at it. Couldn't get the motion going whereas if I work on it a little every day I can immediately pick up where I left off. Be it a 20 min session or an 8 hour session.
Since I have the brakes working and an exhaust system in place it's time to address the 1st gear issue with the transmission. Bob said it was rebuilt at one of Dr Evil's clinics but he skipped installing a new synchro on 1st. Hope I don't discover it's the more expensive 1st gear slider. However, I've decided to surprise my son in Tx with this car and want him to have a fully functional transmission. I'd thought about giving him the Subaru conversion but if he had a mechanic that wasn't willing to spend extra time figuring out how the old and new electronics were married then the car might sit and rot should he encounter any problems. This car with the old school carb, mechanical fuel pump, etc can be serviced by most mechanics. Besides, he is young enough to enjoy this type car. Flashy and loud. A steroid emitting Hot Rod! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
So, next up is the transmission repair and installing an interior. I'll post a few pics next time.
Hope all of you guys had a great Christmas and New Years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Kent- When the Dr installed the flipped H in 5th I am almost positive he removed the 5th gear syncro and installed it in first gear. You will know the first time you shift into first!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 4 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #85

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 4 2018, 09:54 AM) *

Great idea Kent - great Dad!!! I hope he doesn't look up your posts here...

Tony

I've decided to surprise my son in Tx with this car and want him to have a fully functional transmission.

He doesn't know about this site; yet! I watched him as he watched the video of it running and decided then and there. The biggest profit I'll realize is watching his reaction and joy when I deliver it to him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 4 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #86

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 4 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #87

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 4 2018, 09:32 AM) *

I don't know how people get anything done on their conversion if they don't work on them daily. I didn't touch mine for two weeks because of the Holidays & and related travels. I went out to the garage last nite and just stared at it. Couldn't get the motion going whereas if I work on it a little every day I can immediately pick up where I left off. Be it a 20 min session or an 8 hour session.

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one with that problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) And being a 914 I have to block off 1-2 hours minimum to get anything done.
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 4 2018, 09:32 AM) *

Since I have the brakes working and an exhaust system in place it's time to address the 1st gear issue with the transmission.

I rarely start off in 1st with my V6, won't need it at all with a V8. So not really a problem if it isn't up to snuff. Go drive it.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 5 2018, 11:34 PM
Post #88

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 4 2018, 07:34 PM) *

Oh yea, I forgot your in that tribe Stephen. Your approval speaks volumes for passing it on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Your right Chris. Time to drive it around the block. To quote Cap'n Ron, "If anything is going to happen it's going to happen out there". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
get off my lawn
post Jan 8 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 13,462

About a million years ago I was at Irwindale raceway with my V8 914.

We called it an autocross but we ran continuous laps for 10 or 15 minutes at a time, it was a blast.

IIRC there were around 60 cars entered and at least 10 full on instructors running.

I ended up 6th overall which is really saying something considering my lack of go-fast skilz.

One of the hot shots came up to me inbetween sessions and asked how I was able to turn such fast times with my clutch slipping so bad.

I 'splained to him that weren't my clutch, it was my back tiars spinning out of every corner (channeling JP there for a second).

I could light em up from one corner to the next and rotate that little car with my right foot.
That darn 800 cfm quadrajet made more noise than the exhaust did.

200# rear springs, stock front sway bar, kuhmo victoracers on the back and hard as a rock Michelins on the front was the perfect balance.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 13 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #90

QUOTE(get off my lawn @ Jan 8 2018, 04:29 PM) *

About a million years ago I was at Irwindale raceway with my V8 914.

We called it an autocross but we ran continuous laps for 10 or 15 minutes at a time, it was a blast.

IIRC there were around 60 cars entered and at least 10 full on instructors running.

I ended up 6th overall which is really saying something considering my lack of go-fast skilz.

One of the hot shots came up to me inbetween sessions and asked how I was able to turn such fast times with my clutch slipping so bad.

I 'splained to him that weren't my clutch, it was my back tiars spinning out of every corner (channeling JP there for a second).

I could light em up from one corner to the next and rotate that little car with my right foot.
That darn 800 cfm quadrajet made more noise than the exhaust did.

200# rear springs, stock front sway bar, kuhmo victoracers on the back and hard as a rock Michelins on the front was the perfect balance.

I don't think mine will ever see a race track. Maybe some spirited driving. So I've gotten a bit further. I didn't want to destroy a perfectly good air box so I worked around the existing vent. Took longer to work the material into place but much easier than removing the air box.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Installed some new dash face material then reinstalled the switches,Quad gauge and cigarette light. There will be no radio.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jan 14 2018, 06:09 AM
Post #91

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

Wow! Great job!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 14 2018, 10:44 AM
Post #92

Thx Bob.Wow, I just realized I forgot to mention that I've driven it. Twice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Last week I went about 4 blocks then straight back on the lift to check for flubs. I still have air in the brake lines so more bleeding is in order. Yesterday I put about a 1/2 mile on it. Without tags or a windshield I have no reason to drive it any further. Damn that thing has some torque. And whoever said 1st isn't needed was correct. I accidentally took off in 3rd once. Looking forward to a more lengthy drive once the windshield is installed. Presently awaiting a reply from 914rubber, be it an email or phone call (I've left both) on the status of my new dash top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fyou1.gif) So, a longer drive is on hold until that hits my doorstep. I may need to adjust the idle mixture screw. This early into it, I'm not sure if it is the cam lope or a rich mixture. I'll have to hook up a temporary vacuum gage so that it can be adjusted. And, if this cam is too radical I'll need to do it by ear because it may not pull enough vacuum while idling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I hadn't fully closed the front hatch until last weeks 1st drive and got a little surprise. After my first drive, the hood did not pop when I tried to open it. I checked out my options then decided to give it another try before cutting open a spot in the front grille. After yanking on the pull it opened about the 3rd try. Hmmm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Before the 2nd drive and before closing the hood again I ran a pull wire thru the grill as a backup and I'm glad I did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) The cable pull is not stiff and has a good range of motion. The cable is taunt as well so I suspect there is an area where the cable isn't properly secured and is flexing away from an unsupported spot. Shouldn't be hard to locate. Now I need to get Kugle on the road. I haven't driven it since before Christmas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 14 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

Good for you Kent...

When the "hand-off" occurs - I hope some planning goes into it! Some video and maybe setting your son up (for instance: in a parking lot after a meal and then "noticing a 914" parked near by - admiring it before declaring "t's yours Son!"). Pretty damn cool and would love to see that in person!

Cracker
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 14 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #94

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 14 2018, 09:01 AM) *

Good for you Kent...

When the "hand-off" occurs - I hope some planning goes into it! Some video and maybe setting your son up (for instance: in a parking lot after a meal and then "noticing a 914" parked near by - admiring it before declaring "t's yours Son!"). Pretty damn cool and would love to see that in person!

Cracker

Absolutely! He knows the car from a few pic's but not that well. I think we shall do something along that thought, Tony. I must admit, I'm a bit surprised that you didn't suggest some sort of an involvement from some local Cop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Poor Andy still has flashbacks every time he spots a Cop in the rearview! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 14 2018, 01:39 PM
Post #95

I forgot to add these pic's once I closed up the radiator plenum and removed the protective film wrap from the aluminum.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 14 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #96

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Very clean looking. Is that an RH setup?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 14 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #97

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Nice radiator setup...might want to add a bead or two to that top cover. Wondering if it'll make some noise or flex when the fans kick in.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Jan 14 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Try some Denatured alcohol to the cover to remove the ink imprinting on the metal...
Home Depot sells it - I buy it by the gallon in the paint section.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 14 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #99

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Nice work Kent.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 15 2018, 09:19 AM
Post #100

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 14 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Very clean looking. Is that an RH setup?

Don't know Mark. The fans & radiator were part of the package and came with the car. It is a dual core Griffin, generic 10" fans and I made the plenum and fan shroud.
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 14 2018, 12:31 PM) *

Nice radiator setup...might want to add a bead or two to that top cover. Wondering if it'll make some noise or flex when the fans kick in.

The engine is so noisy I can't hear the fans when they do come on.
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jan 14 2018, 03:42 PM) *

Try some Denatured alcohol to the cover to remove the ink imprinting on the metal...
Home Depot sells it - I buy it by the gallon in the paint section.

I kinda liked the bleed through. Never seen it before.
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 14 2018, 04:00 PM) *

Nice work Kent.

Thx, Kevin.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:54 AM