Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fiberglass Fender Flare Repair, Cracking fiberglass fenders
Tj2naz
post Oct 15 2017, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,379
Region Association: None

My 914 fiberglass flares were cracked when I got the car, is there a way to correct this so it doesn’t happen again?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 15 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

You'll need to grind out ALL the fiberglass that has failed. All of it. If you leave any cracked or de-laminated spots, they'll likely fail in the future.
Once all the bad is gone (did I say be sure you get it ALL?), you can glass in the repair.
And when it comes to "bondo" for fiberglass, I've had really good luck mixing microspheres into the resin to get a peanut butter consistency. I use it just like bondo and it sands pretty easily.

On the topic of resin, I always use epoxy resin but you'll want to test a spot to see if it bonds to your fenders. They may have used polyester or vinylester resin system.

If you'd like to talk details, PM me and we can arrange a time for a call.
Chris

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 15 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Oh, and I forgot the obligatory 914 World "give them a hard time" answer:

"Is there a way to fix this so it doesn't happen again?"

Yes, cut them off and weld on steel flares... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 15 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 15 2017, 10:57 AM) *
Oh, and I forgot the obligatory 914 World "give them a hard time" answer

1100 posts and you're still not used to it, eh?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 15 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 16 2017, 06:53 AM) *

You'll need to grind out ALL the fiberglass that has failed. All of it. If you leave any cracked or de-laminated spots, they'll likely fail in the future.
Once all the bad is gone (did I say be sure you get it ALL?), you can glass in the repair.
And when it comes to "bondo" for fiberglass, I've had really good luck mixing microspheres into the resin to get a peanut butter consistency. I use it just like bondo and it sands pretty easily.

On the topic of resin, I always use epoxy resin but you'll want to test a spot to see if it bonds to your fenders. They may have used polyester or vinylester resin system.

Chris

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) another issue can be rust forming under the join, swells the fiberglass and pops the filler edge,looks like these flares haven't been correctly bonded on the car to start.
If there is rust underneath it will be an ongoing problem...sorry.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Oct 15 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #6

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 15 2017, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 16 2017, 06:53 AM) *

Chris

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) another issue can be rust forming under the join, swells the fiberglass and pops the filler edge,looks like these flares haven't been correctly bonded on the car to start.
If there is rust underneath it will be an ongoing problem...sorry.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The first thing I thought when I just saw it was rust.

The devil rust. You can also buy Bondo with Microspheres in it all ready if you do not have any.

Been in the plastics biz for 43 years, Casting, lamenting of Acrylics and polyesters

Bob B

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 16 2017, 01:39 AM
Post #7

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I used kitty hair for my fenders. When I had to build it up I added fiberglass strands to the kitty hair. Went over that with a thin bondo then glaze.

No cracks or bubbles yet in 5 years, but who knows whatll happen in 10. I also had the fenders on the car for 3 years prior to finishing and I put about 3 layers of fiberglass on the inside as deep as possible to create a stronger seam. Ive stood on every fender of mine with no sounds.

Im a metal guy and would have gone that route if I could, but these fenders fell into my lap and I fell in love with them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:23 AM