Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the most likely cause of blinker NOT cancelling automatically, trouble-shooting a blinker that doesn't always cancel
domer914
post Oct 15 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,149
Region Association: None

I am trying to solve for a blinker that works perfectly, except that it does not cancel automatically 100% of the time.

I am looking for a list of possible reasons that I can trouble-shoot. Replacing the stalks for hi/low beam and blinker and for wiper blades isn't crazy expensive, but before doing that I wanted to see if I could solve the problem myself. I'm grateful for any insights!

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mzalanka
post Oct 15 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,300

You'll need to pull the steering wheel (but not turn signal assembly) to troubleshoot.

Probably one or more of three things, all interrelated.

1) after pulling the steering wheel, you should see a black plastic cancellation ring on the back of the steering wheel hub itself with about a 3/4" semicircular piece that hits the "cancel" tab on the turn assembly. This can get a groove worn in it over time. Or, it might be missing but probably not cause you'd never get a cancellation then.

2) the aforementioned "cancel" tab, part of the turn signal assembly, which is about a 1/8" piece of white plastic that extends when the turn signal is activated, could be worn or broken.

3) the turn signal switch could be gunked up with age.

1 & 2 can sometimes be fixed with superglue or plastic epoxy putty. 3 can be fixed, maybe, with cleaning.

All three can be fixed with a new cancellation ring and turn signal assembly.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
tmc914
post Oct 15 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,452
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mzalanka @ Oct 15 2017, 07:42 PM) *

You'll need to pull the steering wheel (but not turn signal assembly) to troubleshoot.

Probably one or more of three things, all interrelated.

1) after pulling the steering wheel, you should see a black plastic cancellation ring on the back of the steering wheel hub itself with about a 3/4" semicircular piece that hits the "cancel" tab on the turn assembly. This can get a groove worn in it over time. Or, it might be missing but probably not cause you'd never get a cancellation then.

2) the aforementioned "cancel" tab, part of the turn signal assembly, which is about a 1/8" piece of white plastic that extends when the turn signal is activated, could be worn or broken.

3) the turn signal switch could be gunked up with age.

1 & 2 can sometimes be fixed with superglue or plastic epoxy putty. 3 can be fixed, maybe, with cleaning.

All three can be fixed with a new cancellation ring and turn signal assembly.

Good luck!

Got my eye on this post because I am having a similar problem. Wasn't going to trouble shoot until next year but what the heck, maybe now I will have to if the answers are falling right into my lap. Gosh, if only I had a part number for that canceling ring which I suspect is missing after the PO fixed the horn.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Oct 15 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

One of my cars had the canceling ring installed upside down. Also, it can be reassembled too tight and not work. Has to have just the right amount of tension.

Paul
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Oct 15 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have to trouble shoot this on my '73- only cancels with right hand turns, never with left turns...
I might have screwed something when putting on the new Momo steering wheel. At least I don't have to deal with an airbag!!
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 16 2017, 05:34 AM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Most of the time it needs a new switch. There are nylon pieces inside that go bad
+Quote Post
dcecc1968
post Oct 16 2017, 05:55 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,313
Region Association: South East States

As other have said, it may be as simple as rotating the cancellation ring.... solved my 2 year problem easy. If I remember correctly, there are 3 screws 120 degrees apart, try rotating the ring and reinstall. I think the protruding portion goes toward the passenger seat.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 16 2017, 05:56 AM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Most of the time it needs a new switch. There are nylon pieces inside that go bad
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 16 2017, 06:17 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If anyone needs a new (used) steering wheel hub, I have a bunch. They are $10 and include shipping. You need to specify early ‘70-71 or late ‘72-76. Early has a metal cancel tab, late is plastic. PM or email - mark@markepstein.net
+Quote Post
sithot
post Oct 16 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,090

#27 901-613-325-05 Cancelling Ring

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Oct 16 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(sithot @ Oct 16 2017, 08:33 AM) *

#27 901-613-325-05 Cancelling Ring

Attached Image

That's a 914/6 part # there are several different ones for 4's, early are metal like the six but I think the attachment holes are located in different places. Late ones are plastic, and at least one year in the middle ('72 I think?) they had a wire that clipped onto the horn button instead of the spring loaded contact pin.
And what Perry Kiehl said!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:16 AM