Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bed liner in the cabin?
mb911
post Oct 16 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I really want to spray a bed liner inside the cabin but don't want anything that won't set up hard.. I plan to epoxy prime then bed liner og sorts then color.. Any suggestions? I don't want it to smell in the end.. Any thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 16 2017, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,443
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 16 2017, 12:39 PM) *

I really want to spray a bed liner inside the cabin but don't want anything that won't set up hard.. I plan to epoxy prime then bed liner og sorts then color.. Any suggestions? I don't want it to smell in the end.. Any thoughts?

PanelBilly showed up to my house Sat to show me his 914-6 and he did a very tasteful job with the bed liner spray which he used in the wheel well, in the engine bay, and on the rocker panels. (I think he even did this on the targa top). I wouldn't have guessed it would work so well, but it did. You should ping him for details.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 16 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Ok thanks will pm him..
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Oct 16 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 16,395
Region Association: None

Dont forget , you can get bed liner in colors....
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 16 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

I see that.. Probably will do that but again need to make sure it doesn't smell like a rubber factory .. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
cal44
post Oct 16 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,910
Region Association: Southwest Region

Does bed liner stick to paint?........what happens if the paint doesn't adhere well to the metal?
Just a thought.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 16 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Plan to do this on Taylor's car. We've got it up on the rotisserie the whole thing's been blasted and as soon as the metal work is done we're going to seal the entire underside of the car with truck bed liner tinted Alpine White. No need to put the rubberized undercoating on this one
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 16 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 16 2017, 12:39 PM) *

I used it in my 73 conversion build. Hard as a rock. I suppose it would stick to paint if you roughed it up. I shot primer before I applied the bed liner. That was a couple of years ago.No smells other than an occasional fart. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Oct 16 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 21,351

Bed liner spray is heavy and lumpy. I'd expect it to be difficult to keep clean since you really won't want to hose the car out.

As for spraying the under side of the car why bother unless they plan on driving in the snow / salt. Even then, bodies generally don't rust in the middle of a panel, rust usually starts at a seam since there is a sharp edge that becomes difficult to seal.

My car has black epoxy ( PPG DP-- LF ) interior door sills / shifter tunnel and gray floors, it works just fine.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 16 2017, 06:11 PM
Post #10

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I'm curious why you want bedliner? I have reasons in mind, both pro and con. Mostly con.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 16 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

We plan to use bed liner mainly because we plan to drive the car. That paint chips easier so rather than have to worry about ever doing anything under there again why not protect it?
I certainly don't want to use rubberized undercoating.
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Oct 16 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 16 2017, 04:40 PM) *

Plan to do this on Taylor's car. We've got it up on the rotisserie the whole thing's been blasted and as soon as the metal work is done we're going to seal the entire underside of the car with truck bed liner tinted Alpine White. No need to put the rubberized undercoating on this one

I understand on the underside of the car, makes sense to me, but I think the OP is asking about using it Inside the cabin.

I'm wondering why they would do that, seems to me a good prime and an epoxy, and the carpet kit (not to mention the heat shield) not sure what you woukld be gaining by going with bedliner INSIDe the cabin.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 16 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #13

Cross Member

I'm all for protecting. I just hate the coatings that end up trapping moisture and making rust nests. Like the og foam, sealer, and tar we find in our cars.

If bedliner is in a different league, I get it. But if rust ever starts underneath it, you won't find it until it's a rotten mess. Which is why I tend to prefer paint and paying attention to it so you can see what's really going on with the metal, and not add excess weight.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 16 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

From what I have read, you want rubberized undercoating under the car because it won’t chip from a rock strike. Something hard collects chips because it won’t absorb the impact. That’s why real undercoat won’t come off with blasting.

They make brush on / spray on soundproofing for inside the car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Oct 16 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 21,351

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 16 2017, 08:26 PM) *

Spray in bed liner isn't far away from rubberized undercoat.

If you are not planning on driving the car in salt / snow, Rustolem and a brush works just fine under the car. It drys soft, is pretty chip resistant and is easy to touch up. On cars that see any salt duty, I use Rusfre rust proofing black under car and tan for enclosed surfaces. The black skins over but stays soft unlike undercoating and the tan remains soft.

Besides, you will need to inspect and touch up bed liner once in a while as the coating is bound to crack at the seams, hold water and start to rust.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 16 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #16

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I'm going to guess that if you wanted a textured coating inside the cabin, why not a paint product like 3M Rocker Schutz?

I don't see how a bed liner product would be a good option, but that could be my own ignorance on different applications.

As far as adhesion, as long as the product (from body filler to bedliner) is applied within the correct time frame I think pretty much everything is going to stick to epoxy primer.

Personally I'm OK with epoxy primer, topcoat, and new asphalt mat. Once restored these cars will never see the kind of pre-restoration exposure that caused problems.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 16 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #17

The rubber man

QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Oct 16 2017, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 16 2017, 08:26 PM) *

Spray in bed liner isn't far away from rubberized undercoat.

If you are not planning on driving the car in salt / snow, Rustolem and a brush works just fine under the car. It drys soft, is pretty chip resistant and is easy to touch up. On cars that see any salt duty, I use Rusfre rust proofing black under car and tan for enclosed surfaces. The black skins over but stays soft unlike undercoating and the tan remains soft.

Besides, you will need to inspect and touch up bed liner once in a while as the coating is bound to crack at the seams, hold water and start to rust.

I may not have been clear in how I said it. We want the naked look. The truck beadliner is tough enough that a shovel isn't chipping it off. Tinted and having this much protection looks naked, especially with a white car.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 16 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Ok so some research and looks like monsta liner is what I saw.. Great stuff. I was thinking it would be great for an extra layer of sound deadening and durability.. I will definitely be doing this on the underside becuase I plan to drive the car .. It will help with rock chips from rocks thrown up inside the fenders..

Probably just spray epoxy primer and paint the inside..
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 16 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #19

Cross Member

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 16 2017, 06:55 PM) *

Ok so some research and looks like monsta liner is what I saw.. Great stuff. I was thinking it would be great for an extra layer of sound deadening and durability.. I will definitely be doing this on the underside becuase I plan to drive the car .. It will help with rock chips from rocks thrown up inside the fenders..

Do you wonder if there should be different treatments underside vs inside?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 16 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 16 2017, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 16 2017, 06:55 PM) *

Do you wonder if there should be different treatments underside vs inside?

Not sure what you mean??

I want to protect the wheel wells from dings from the inside cracking the paint on the topside of the fender. This also creates a good moisture barrier beyond the epoxy primer.. Thus wheel wells is my main concern.. Thought about it on bottom of the floorpan mostly becuase of sound and consistency with wheel wells.. Now inside thw cabin was just a thought.. .. Thinking outloud I guess.. I am only weeks away from epoxy priming so doing some research.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:04 PM