Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> trying to put in late steering column, got questions
buck toenges
post Oct 16 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

I have an earlier car. At least I think it is an earlier car. Unfortunately the vin info is grounded off the body. It doesn't have the openings for the air tubes to come through the body for the side vents in the dash. I am trying to put in a later model steering column. My first questions: Has the previous owner put in a later column "holder" into the dash?

The reason I asked is that the steering column bolts on fine. Here are a couple of pics.

If I have a late model steering column and it bolts on fine to the dash what U-joints and intermediate shaft do I need to finish. And how do you tell between early vs late U-joints and intermediate shaft?

Thanks,
Buck

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Oct 18 2017, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,373
Region Association: None

When I swapped in a complete '73 column into my '70 I had to elongate to holes on the bracket. The hole pattern is slightly different and It did not directly fit. I also swapped in a '74 wiring harness which made it real easy to connect up the late column switches otherwise lots of undesirable splicing.

To answer your question I used the intermediate shaft and u joints from the early column. Also had to change to a '74 or later tach because of the single turn indicator.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:50 PM