Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 123 Distributor Group Buy Thread, Replacement for NLA stock Dizzy's-Order 15 % Discount
Olympic 914
post Nov 5 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Attached Image

On my engine the correct dizzy is a 009 so I will try #1 setting but also would try #2 and maybe #4
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 5 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #182

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I see what you're saying. And it makes sense. Since my dizzy wasn't stock, I wasn't sure what to select, but I think this is worth a try to see what happens.

It's actually running pretty strong right now except for the high idle and significant difficulty starting...

EDIT: Going to have to wait until daylight, and probably after work, before I can try this. It's going to require pulling the dizzy to reset the curve. Also, my throttle body is probably not stock to the engine, but it has both advance and retard.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 5 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #183

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Nov 5 2017, 04:14 PM) *

Attached Image

On my engine the correct dizzy is a 009 so I will try #1 setting but also would try #2 and maybe #4

If you are referring to me, I selected setting No. 1 as that corresponded to the Bosch part No. I had in the car. The engine I have now in the car is a 1.7 completely bone stock with a well sorted D.jet FI system.

If I were you I.d PM McMark to make siure per what motor, cam, induction, dizzy you now have and if it is running well.

I.d make sure of all of that first.

Rob
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 5 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #184

914 Guru

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 5 2017, 04:21 PM) *

I see what you're saying. And it makes sense. Since my dizzy wasn't stock, I wasn't sure what to select, but I think this is worth a try to see what happens.

It's actually running pretty strong right now except for the high idle and significant difficulty starting...

Rob, a leaking d.cel valve will give you high idle. Plug it fornnow and see what happens.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Nov 5 2017, 06:46 PM
Post #185

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 5 2017, 07:21 PM) *

EDIT: Going to have to wait until daylight, and probably after work, before I can try this. It's going to require pulling the dizzy to reset the curve. Also, my throttle body is probably not stock to the engine, but it has both advance and retard.

My set-up is also kind of Frankensteined together, Running the 007 dizzy that came originally with my 1.7 engine. its now a 2056 with 2.0 FI system and the throttle body that has the two ports. I also have the two port can on the distributor and have both hoses connected. for Advance and Retard.

the plan on installing the new 123 dizzy will be to only connect the advance hose and plug the retard port on the throttle body. ( You did plug that, didn't you?) then play with the settings.

Isn't there a way to turn the switch with the dizzy installed?
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 5 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #186

Success! (I think). I was going to try resetting the curve based on your suggestion tomorrow after work, but after the frustration this weekend, I said "screw it" and went out with a flashlight and managed to pull the dizzy and reset the curve to "2" in about 5 minutes (you get pretty good pulling and reinstalling after about the 4th time). Started much easier, ran strong, and idled steady around 1000 RPM. I probably still need to verify timing, but if I'm not yet at raped ape like Rob, I think I am at least at molested monkey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

Yes, do plug the retard port. I did do that as well. Based on the orientation of my dizzy I really can't access the program port without pulling the dizzy. You may want to keep that in mind when you set the orientation on yours.

All good!
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Nov 5 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #187

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 6 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #188

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 5 2017, 12:23 PM) *
I'm going to let it charge for a while longer and try again. It seems like my battery may not be up to snuff here.

Get a battery tester. I'm so glad I did. Shows you if your alternator is working right too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave97
post Nov 6 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #189

Member No.: 21,285

I'm getting the Bluetooth model. Can anyone post or send me a good starting point with both curves? I have a mild 2270 with Weber 44's. I need to program the unit to get it started and running. Thanks in advance pun intended Dave
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 6 2017, 03:32 PM
Post #190

914 Freak!

0-1000 rpm = 12 degrees
3500-10000rpm = 28 degrees

The 'curve' is a straight line between 1000-3500rpm.
+Quote Post
Dave97
post Nov 6 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #191

Thanks Mark, and the vacuum advance curve?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 6 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #192

914 Freak!

Zero. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave97
post Nov 6 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #193

Hum, there seems to be 2 different thoughts here, vacuum or no vacuum. I thought people were now going to svda dirtributors to get better idle and gas mileage. Did I miss something?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 6 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #194

914 Freak!

Grab some dyno time. It's the only way to really be accurate.
+Quote Post
123ignitionusa
post Nov 7 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #195

Member No.: 19,587

Gentlemen
Just an FYI to all in the Group Buy.
As you know I was able to get a few units out to some of the early orders. My apologies to any that have not gotten theirs yet.
The deadline is coming up on the 10th of November and the balance of the order will be submitted on the 12th of November. Everything should be shipped out to you by the 22nd.
Thanks so much for all the kind remarks of appreciation via email. You are a great group of enthusiasts and I can tell you are dedicated mechanics as well.
Best Regards
Ed
www.123ignitionusa.com
+Quote Post
pete000
post Nov 7 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #196

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Got mine today. Didn’t have time to open the box yet.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Nov 10 2017, 05:14 AM
Post #197

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

So here we are, Nov. 10, and my arse is firmly planted atop the fence, still. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

What, please, is the overall consensus regarding this unit, I'd be much obliged to get a push from one side or the other as it's final day for the GB. My budget for such a frivolous purchase is virtually nonexistent; however, should this be something that will dramatically improve the overall running of the soon to be hibernating subject, maybe I can do/find/sell something to offset the cost.

Thanks in advance to y'all,

Joe
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 10 2017, 06:30 AM
Post #198

Sorry, Joe, I just don't have enough "data" for you yet. Between work and the weather in the East this week (new season: "damp") I haven't had the opportunity to work out some of the kinks and see if I can optimize it. I just received a new coil, new plugs, and Clewett wires in the mail yesterday, and I'm planning on installing those this weekend. I still think I need to play with the right curve and the timing some more to get things to where they really need to be. If your system is stock or more "stock-ish" than mine it will probably be a quicker process.

Don't think this thing is a "game-changer" for us, but I'm optimistic that I can at least get more consistency in behavior/performance. At least that's my goal.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 10 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #199

914 Guru

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 10 2017, 04:30 AM) *

Sorry, Joe, I just don't have enough "data" for you yet. Between work and the weather in the East this week (new season: "damp") I haven't had the opportunity to work out some of the kinks and see if I can optimize it. I just received a new coil, new plugs, and Clewett wires in the mail yesterday, and I'm planning on installing those this weekend. I still think I need to play with the right curve and the timing some more to get things to where they really need to be. If your system is stock or more "stock-ish" than mine it will probably be a quicker process.

Don't think this thing is a "game-changer" for us, but I'm optimistic that I can at least get more consistency in behavior/performance. At least that's my goal.

I'd agree with Rob in that it depends what your goals are. This weekend I'm going to try and take in on a longer drive just to be sure. But so far I am pleased with the purchase and performance. My goals were a little different in that I will need a distributor for another motor for later. I couldn't find a decent dizzy out there for sale. When I did, the price was outrageous for a total rusted piece of crap. I think that it is pretty cool and cost effective that I can use one dizzy for both displacements one current and future.

If you have a perfectly working stock dizzy then I wouldn't expect a huge difference in performance, although for me the idle stability issue is definitely better then before. I had no issues when I installed it. Mark is probably right in that the only way for sure to notice any difference would be to dyno it. I may do that just to see and feel the difference when I change motors.

So I guess my goals were driven from a cost perspective in that it outpriced the time and money of finding a decent stock dizzy. If you have lots of time to rebuild a stock dizzy and want to find a decent set of trigger points, vacuum canisters ect. then great. It will cost you more that $400 bucks and I like to spend my time driving the car.

For a motor that is running stock D-jet and if your never going to be in a concours show and like driving your car with a set and forget dizzy then this is pretty great solution.

My .05.

Edit:

Although I not in this situation, it would be interesting to get some feedback for those that don't have stock motor either as this should work as well.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Nov 10 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #200

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

Interesting . I'm not running Djet, I've got an Ljet system. I think for those who've got the Djet that it's probably a more beneficial upgrade.

I'd like to be able to program the curve more specific to my engine...
+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:17 PM