Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 123 Distributor Group Buy Thread, Replacement for NLA stock Dizzy's-Order 15 % Discount
Ferg
post Sep 24 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #341

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Cool, thanks everyone.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thomas@vintagecarleds.com
post Nov 25 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #342

Member No.: 20,065
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 23 2019, 03:45 PM) *

Yup, it's solid. I'm happy, and it's still rocking. Mine is the D-Jet one, and I'm using curve "B."

What are you setting your timing to at idle with curve B?

I am about to pickup on of these here soon!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 25 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #343

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Yup, it's solid. I'm happy, and it's still rocking. Mine is the D-Jet one, and I'm using curve "B."
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 23 2019, 05:21 PM) *

Mine has about 500 miles and not a problem. I have the Bluetooth unit and once I learned how it works the tune-ability is awesome. I tried a couple different curves including vacuum advance but I ended up with a straight line 0-28* at 3k rpm without vacuum advance. You really need a dyno to do anything more custom (or someone riding in the passenger seat to adjust the app while driving). I locked the distributor down at TDC so that my actual timing is equal to the distributor advance reading on the app.
You have to launch the app first, then turn the key on or it won’t connect (this is after the initial pairing).

1,300 miles over the past 15 months since installing it. very happy. D-jet, running curve B I think with vac advance. in fact , drove it to work today, had not been driving it a lot partly due to recent failure and replacement of the master cylinder, also trying to keep it clean , don't want too much work to get it ready for the next car show here in 2 weeks.
you will like not having to mess with points and the f.i. trigger points plate!
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 25 2019, 03:28 PM
Post #344

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 25 2019, 03:39 PM) *

Mine has about 500 miles and not a problem. I have the Bluetooth unit and once I learned how it works the tune-ability is awesome. I tried a couple different curves including vacuum advance but I ended up with a straight line 0-28* at 3k rpm without vacuum advance. You really need a dyno to do anything more custom (or someone riding in the passenger seat to adjust the app while driving). I locked the distributor down at TDC so that my actual timing is equal to the distributor advance reading on the app.
You have to launch the app first, then turn the key on or it won’t connect (this is after the initial pairing).

1,300 miles over the past 15 months since installing it. very happy. D-jet, running curve B I think with vac advance. in fact , drove it to work today, had not been driving it a lot partly due to recent failure and replacement of the master cylinder, also trying to keep it clean , don't want too much work to get it ready for the next car show here in 2 weeks.

Pretty sure curve B is retard only, not advance. I've been running around 26 degrees on curve B on my new 2056 rebuild. Anything significantly higher than that and I was getting pre-ignition, presumably due to higher compression. Before the rebuild I was running it on a 2056 at 27 degrees without any issue, except it did want to idle slightly higher than factory.

It's solid.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 27 2019, 06:57 AM
Post #345

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 25 2019, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 25 2019, 03:39 PM) *

Pretty sure curve B is retard only, not advance. I've been running around 26 degrees on curve B on my new 2056 rebuild. Anything significantly higher than that and I was getting pre-ignition, presumably due to higher compression. Before the rebuild I was running it on a 2056 at 27 degrees without any issue, except it did want to idle slightly higher than factory.

It's solid.

lol I will have to recheck, maybe not curve B? its been a while since I put it in, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) well anyway what ever it is, its running good and has proper idle and AF is right where it should be. I do remember that half the settings are for no vac hook up and the other half are intended to be used with the vac hooked up, and that's the side I am on,
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 10:31 AM
Post #346

Member No.: 22,240
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a Raby 2270 with carbs, having problem getting the engine to run after installing 123Ignition with Bluetooth. After reading through the above threads I’ve the following questions:

1) Before I pulled the old 901 Dizzy/Distributor I feel comfortable I found TDC, when I reinserted the new 123 Dizzy the Rotor was not pointing in the same direction as the 901 towards the 901s #1 plug wire position! It sounds like that isn’t totally important as long as after the 123 is installed I place the plug wires in the correct position with the direction of the rotor being #1 then as follows clockwise 4-3-2 or counterclockwise 2-3-4 with the plug wires.

2) When the Bluetooth 123 version arrives it has an empty brain? Therefore one needs to program the unit to get it started/running? McMArk states earlier that 0-1000 =12 degrees and 3500-10000 = 28 degrees and vacuum advance curve is Zero 0. Which I assume I can go to the 123app and once I’ve located the green light on the Dizzy I can go into the curve screen and plug those numbers in?

Thanks for any suggestions.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 6 2019, 11:22 AM
Post #347

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Dec 6 2019, 08:31 AM) *

I have a 1.8 Raby 2270 with carbs, having problem getting the engine to run after installing 123Ignition with Bluetooth. After reading through the above threads I’ve the following questions:

1) Before I pulled the old 901 Dizzy/Distributor I feel comfortable I found TDC, when I reinserted the new 123 Dizzy the Rotor was not pointing in the same direction as the 901 towards the 901s #1 plug wire position! It sounds like that isn’t totally important as long as after the 123 is installed I place the plug wires in the correct position with the direction of the rotor being #1 then as follows clockwise 4-3-2 or counterclockwise 2-3-4 with the plug wires.

2) When the Bluetooth 123 version arrives it has an empty brain? Therefore one needs to program the unit to get it started/running? McMArk states earlier that 0-1000 =12 degrees and 3500-10000 = 28 degrees and vacuum advance curve is Zero 0. Which I assume I can go to the 123app and once I’ve located the green light on the Dizzy I can go into the curve screen and plug those numbers in?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Definately the retard curve. A 1.8 Raby 2270 ... a 901 distributor......
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #348

A little history on the 901 Dizzy. My understanding when the previous owner received the Raby engine it came with a Mallory ignition about 8-10 years ago. The previous owner had nothing but problems with the Mallory for some reason which is probably why it was discontinued. He then replaced the Mallory with a 901 Dizzzy which ran ok but was definitely not reaching the potential of this engine. The car set for several years until recently which I’ve decided to upgrade to the 123 to get performance up to specs.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 6 2019, 01:22 PM
Post #349

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Do you have a timing light to determine where your timing is currently set?

Since it ran somewhat ok with the 901, I'd reinstall it and note the readings, then reinstall the 123 and set to the same readings you got with the 901 ... then you could adjust + or - as needed from there.

If you're getting pre-detonation (pinging) under load, retard it 'X' degrees.

At least with the bluetooth app, you can adjust it under real road conditions
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 01:28 PM
Post #350

Mark, I will try that when I get back home this afternoon. Thanks and I would like to thank Rob (BeatNavy) for helping me get this far.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 6 2019, 02:04 PM
Post #351

The collective wisdom will help you get there. Between Rob (other Rob), Mark, etc. and others it will happen. As Mark mentions, important thing is to get it running, even if roughly, and tweak from there. I don't know the best curve, timing, or advance for carbs, but the nice thing is you can adjust it from your phone, without pulling the dizzy (well, maybe not the timing -- that still needs to be done somewhat the old fashioned way). At that point you can experiment. The D-Jet model (w/o Bluetooth) we have to pull the dizzy to change curve.

Then you'll be screaming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #352

The forum is priceless, the Force is Active (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 06:09 PM
Post #353

FYI I followed your directions and After programming my advance curve, fired right up! I need to fine tune it later after driving a few times and reading up more on fine tuning the curve. I took it for a short drive, very responsive and not pinging etc. Thanks again for all your help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #354

Pics

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 6 2019, 06:25 PM
Post #355

Congrats, Roy! Now drive that Raby 2270 for all it's worth!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 06:47 PM
Post #356

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Dec 6 2019, 09:05 PM
Post #357

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Dec 6 2019, 05:09 PM) *

FYI I followed your directions and After programming my advance curve, fired right up! I need to fine tune it later after driving a few times and reading up more on fine tuning the curve. I took it for a short drive, very responsive and not pinging etc. Thanks again for all your help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Curious what you are running for total advance. 29 degrees of distributor advance seems like a lot unless your timing before the advance starts is close to zero. And if that’s the case your idle timing is only a couple degrees BTDC whereas my 1911cc doesn’t idle well at less than 8 degrees BTDC.
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #358

Raby is a stickler not to mess with or change his factory timing settings: From my Raby 2270 build book he shows the engine was set at Initial Advance at 9 degrees and at 3000 rpm at 28 degrees. So I went into the Centrifugal Curve settings and set them at those settings. So far so good.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Dec 6 2019, 10:20 PM
Post #359

Pics

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 7 2019, 07:08 AM
Post #360

When you set the curve using the 123 app are you setting total advance, or advance from initial? If the latter, then I would agree that 29 is too much. If the former, probably good. Raby shoots for total advance in his engines between 27 to 31, IIRC.
+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 03:03 AM