Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 123 Distributor Group Buy Thread, Replacement for NLA stock Dizzy's-Order 15 % Discount
914_teener
post Oct 20 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #81

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 20 2017, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 18 2017, 09:33 PM) *

I am in for one on my D-Jet F.I. engine.
Tom

I just placed my order for my 1974 914 2.0 D-Jet F.I. (Original) stock with a few internal mods.

combo=123/Porsche-4-R-V-IE distributor (injection) + coil +spark Plug wires (black) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hope I ordered the correct one for my 914.

Tom

This is exactly what I am building and the same one I ordered.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Oct 20 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #82

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 20 2017, 07:16 PM) *

Tom

I just placed my order for my 1974 914 2.0 D-Jet F.I. (Original) stock with a few internal mods.

combo=123/Porsche-4-R-V-IE distributor (injection) + coil +spark Plug wires (black) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom

This is exactly what I am building and the same one I order

914-teener,

Thanks for your confirmation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I was hoping someone would comment on my concerns. It was based on our expert 914 opinions (Bowlsby-Beat Navy-Etc-Etc) to select this combo.
Hey Bowlsby I also selected black spark plug wires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Tom
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 20 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #83

914 Guru

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 20 2017, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 20 2017, 07:16 PM) *

Tom

Tom

This is exactly what I am building and the same one I order

914-teener,

Thanks for your confirmation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) I was hoping someone would comment on my concerns. It was based on our expert 914 opinions (Bowlsby-Beat Navy-Etc-Etc) to select this combo.
Hey Bowlsby I also selected black spark plug wires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Tom

Well...I don't know if I'm an "expert" but I have read a lot on the curves on the stock distrubutors. Last year I had gathered what I thought was a workable distributor that I could use for a 2.0 build that will use a 74 stock D-jet setup. Turns out the distributor parts are all worn out and two ....NLA. All the other components besides the MPS were workable. Jeff Bowlsby did rebuild the MPS and it has been tested.

So after doing a LOT of reading I had decided to contact this company about their product and talked to a few members that already have it.

I want everybody to know...and I don't know how it was done...but I didn't edit my first post in this thread making the recommendations. I thoroughly read through the brochure and did contact Ed personally with several phone calls. According to my notes and conversations this is the one for a 74 D-jet system. The vacuum port is optional.

Last year Brad Anders wanted to know where the curves were published and then did a pretty good addition to his website on the history and operation of the distributors. If you haven't read it, makes for a good understanding of the advance theory and why Porsche changed it through the years. Dave Darling also published a chart on the distributors on the Bird Board. As Murphy's law would have it...I had the 205B with a question mark on the reference table. So, unknown.

What I can tell you is, that if you have a 74 D-jet setup, I have purchased the same one you have. I started the thread to save a few bucks and help others whom might be enthusiasts like me struggling to find parts for these cars and still try to emulate the stock look or performance.

I think you'll be just fine.

Rob
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 21 2017, 10:30 AM
Post #84

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 20 2017, 10:23 PM) *

I want everybody to know...and I don't know how it was done...but I didn't edit my first post in this thread making the recommendations. I thoroughly read through the brochure and did contact Ed personally with several phone calls. According to my notes and conversations this is the one for a 74 D-jet system. The vacuum port is optional.

Whoops, that was me. I thought it would be helpful to put all the info up front. Your post above has made me rethink that practice. I should have at least PM'd you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif) Sorry! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 21 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #85

914 Guru

It.s okay Mark....figured (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bsherrard
post Oct 21 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 21,077
Region Association: South East States

Just placed my order for the Bluetooth model for the engine I am currently rebuilding for my 1976 Porsche 912E. It is bored and stroked to 2270 (based upon the Raby 912E engines). Hope we get to the 15% Discount!!!
Brook
+Quote Post
Morrie
post Oct 21 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 8,198
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ordered my D-Jet unit today. This will be interesting too, once we all get ours and install, to hear the various experiences.

Still not totally clear to me if I should be connecting the vac advance or retard lines, since the 76 has both, but this has to be a good step in the right direction. I will get my hands on a spare distributor clamp, and leave my original all timed and in the tool bag. That way if there are any issues (all electronic guys, functionality is usually binary, either works or doesn't) I have a spare to drop in at side of the road.

Looking forward to getting mine. Now to go count how many have ordered to see if we are going to hit the 15% number!
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 21 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #88

914 Guru

QUOTE(Morrie @ Oct 21 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Ordered my D-Jet unit today. This will be interesting too, once we all get ours and install, to hear the various experiences.

Still not totally clear to me if I should be connecting the vac advance or retard lines, since the 76 has both, but this has to be a good step in the right direction. I will get my hands on a spare distributor clamp, and leave my original all timed and in the tool bag. That way if there are any issues (all electronic guys, functionality is usually binary, either works or doesn't) I have a spare to drop in at side of the road.

Looking forward to getting mine. Now to go count how many have ordered to see if we are going to hit the 15% number!

Pretty sure we have five now.

With respect to the advance or retard question read Brad Anders site and then the instruction manual.

It is interesting and will answer your question.

I will also end up with a spare distributor..."just in case".
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Oct 21 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just talked to Ed today- probably don't need the bluetooth option but may get it to have for the future. Just need to make sure that model has the 16 or so preset advance curves in it if I don't need or want to get "fancy" right off the bat.
Not sure I'm smart enough to use the bluetooth option anyway! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
olsib914
post Oct 21 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 17,813

Ordered for my D-Jet stock Also have one for my Volvo ES
Olsib914
+Quote Post
pete000
post Oct 21 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 12,094

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 21 2017, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Morrie @ Oct 21 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Pretty sure we have five now.

With respect to the advance or retard question read Brad Anders site and then the instruction manual.

I will also end up with a spare distributor..."just in case".

That was a good read ! Thanks for sharing.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Oct 21 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 12,094

Just ordered mine, Bluetooth version for my L-Jet 1.8

Order people !, need that additional 5% !!!
+Quote Post
Morrie
post Oct 22 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #93

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 21 2017, 03:04 PM) *

Thanks for the good advice here. After reading Brad's page on distributors, and looking at the 123 manual again, it seems pretty clear that there are no performance advantages to connecting the vacuum retard. It was to improve emissions results, and only served to degrade performance at low speeds until the throttle was opened enough to take it out of the equation.

The 123 manual page shows that there is a single vacuum port that can be electronically configured to either provide vacuum advance (settings 1-8) or vacuum retard (settings 9-F). That probably leaves settings 1-8 as the viable options, aside from capping off the vacuum port entirely.

Thanks again for the good advice. Appreciate it!

+Quote Post
Morrie
post Oct 22 2017, 09:44 AM
Post #94

QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 21 2017, 11:58 PM) *

Just ordered mine, Bluetooth version for my L-Jet 1.8

Order people !, need that additional 5% !!!

I count 8, maybe 9 ordered right now....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
1adam12
post Oct 22 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 21,132

I thought this distributor looked familiar. I ran across this 914 install a few months ago on YouTube. How's everyone's German!?
https://youtu.be/rw1FigYoozE
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 22 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #96

914 Guru

Weekend Bump and Count added.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 22 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #97

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

For those have the programmable units already, any tests using a stock curve and then a "tuned" curve following 123ignitions lessons?

http://123ignitionusa.com/123ignition-lessons/

+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 22 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #98

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(1adam12 @ Oct 22 2017, 11:47 AM) *
I thought this distributor looked familiar. I ran across this 914 install a few months ago on YouTube. How's everyone's German!?
I understood the eins, zwei, drei perfectly - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

He posted a second video ... and you can see those awesome ATS Classic wheels on his car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 22 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #99

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Can someone post a link to Brad's write-up on these distributors - gotta make sure I ordered the correct one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Oct 22 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #100

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

QUOTE(1adam12 @ Oct 22 2017, 11:47 AM) *

I think it's Dutch, but I could be wrong.
+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:50 PM