Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oil Pressure sender hose blew out, need help
rgolia
post Oct 23 2017, 09:51 AM
Post #1

GeoJoe

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,329
Region Association: North East States

So last night the hose from the engine to the oil pressure sender blew out and sent oil everywhere. fortunately I was about 1 mile from home. Lot of oil everywhere, hopefully I did not fry the engine. of course to figure that out I need to get a new sender in place. I would like to have a sender that works the green idiot light and can also work a gauge and of course I would rather not have a hose after this incident. Any suggestions on the sender type and where to get it and what to expect when i try to restart the car...after adding oil of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Oct 23 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,948
Region Association: Southern California

Buy a 928 SS braided brake line (Bruce Stone's recommendations) which screws into the case. Buy a VDO twin post oil pressure sender that screws into the female end of the brake line, and fabricate a bracket to mount it to the engine so that it is grounded (electrically). Connect your existing oil pressure light switch wire to to the corresponding post on the sender, and run a new line to a matching VDO oil pressure gauge and to the other post on the sender.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 23 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

To clarify...if it was the hose that failed, why do you need a new sender? They're not integral, correct?

And just to check if the engine is basically OK, just re-install the stock oil pressure light switch (or get one from the local auto parts store) and run a temporary jumper wire to your existing sender's wire. Dash light goes out, you have at least ~7-8 psi.

That'll help you sleep better while you get the permanent repair parts.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 23 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #4

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Check this out. Great kit.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-audi-oil-...relocation-kit/
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Oct 24 2017, 08:14 AM
Post #5

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rgolia @ Oct 23 2017, 11:51 AM) *

So last night the hose from the engine to the oil pressure sender blew out and sent oil everywhere. fortunately I was about 1 mile from home. Lot of oil everywhere, hopefully I did not fry the engine. of course to figure that out I need to get a new sender in place. I would like to have a sender that works the green idiot light and can also work a gauge and of course I would rather not have a hose after this incident. Any suggestions on the sender type and where to get it and what to expect when i try to restart the car...after adding oil of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Were you using a rubber grease gun hose?
I had this happen to me on my old car. The rubber hose melted from the engine heat after a long 3 hour drive and separated from the metal collar. Oil went everywhere. Grease gun hoses, while able to more than withstand the pressure, can't withstand the heat.
You need a hose that's rated for the heat, like in the kit CuddyK posted.
I ended up picking up a braided hose from Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing. This was a couple years ago, and at the time he said he was going to make them available on the website, but I don't see them on there.
Once you get the proper hose, there's nothing to worry about.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 24 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Oct 23 2017, 09:06 AM) *

Buy a 928 SS braided brake line (Bruce Stone's recommendations) which screws into the case. Buy a VDO twin post oil pressure sender that screws into the female end of the brake line, and fabricate a bracket to mount it to the engine so that it is grounded (electrically). Connect your existing oil pressure light switch wire to to the corresponding post on the sender, and run a new line to a matching VDO oil pressure gauge and to the other post on the sender.

Look up a rear brake hose for a 1982 928. I got one at O Reilly ( ATE) for about $20.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 24 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #7

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

About the dual senders.
I don't like them. They trip the oil Idiot light much earlier then the stock sender. Some people don't mind that, but on some engines you can get the oil light on at hot idle but the oil pressure is still within spec. Disconcerting.

I ran my hose to a T fitting, and have the pressure sender on one side and the stock idiot light sender on the other.

Zach
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Oct 24 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #8

GeoJoe

Thanks all. I spoke with Chris at Tangerine and he is going to hook me up with the hose. Chris also suggested that I pull the oil strainer to see if I killed the engine. While I rather not do this for fear of bad news, I will do so and post pictures. Fingers crossed. If good I will follow zachs advice on the tee and two separate senders. If bad, my baby will be on the way to Chris's shop.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 24 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 24 2017, 02:15 PM) *

About the dual senders.
I don't like them. They trip the oil Idiot light much earlier then the stock sender. Some people don't mind that, but on some engines you can get the oil light on at hot idle but the oil pressure is still within spec. Disconcerting.

I ran my hose to a T fitting, and have the pressure sender on one side and the stock idiot light sender on the other.

Zach

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) nothing beats the factory oil light switch. To me if you're really worried about oil pressure a big red light hooked to the idiot light is you best bet.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 24 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 24 2017, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 24 2017, 02:15 PM) *

About the dual senders.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) nothing beats the factory oil light switch. To me if you're really worried about oil pressure a big red light hooked to the idiot light is you best bet.

Ditto. I ended up removing the center console with its voltmeter and oil temperature and pressure gauges (with VDO dual sender that always turned on the light at hot idle), going back to the simple stock GEN and oil pressure lights. Haven't had a worry about oil pressure since... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 24 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #11

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

The kit I linked above has 3 available ports so you can install an electrical pressure sender AND keep the factory one for the idiot light. And still have a spare port for a mechanical gauge if you want.
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Oct 24 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 21,351
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rgolia @ Oct 24 2017, 04:33 PM) *

Thanks all. I spoke with Chris at Tangerine and he is going to hook me up with the hose. Chris also suggested that I pull the oil strainer to see if I killed the engine. While I rather not do this for fear of bad news, I will do so and post pictures. Fingers crossed. If good I will follow zachs advice on the tee and two separate senders. If bad, my baby will be on the way to Chris's shop.

How much oil is left in the motor?

+Quote Post
rgolia
post Oct 26 2017, 10:03 AM
Post #13

GeoJoe

Took the strainer out....no metal frags to speak of...some small copper specks but smaller than the screen, so maybe good news. There was about 1/2 quart of oil plus the filter, so probably bad news. Plan is to try the restart tomorrow or Saturday. Any advice or thoughts on how to proceed or what to expect are appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Oct 26 2017, 11:32 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

I would cut open your oil filter that was on the car. That's usually a consistent indicator of whether or not it smeared the bearings.

Fill it back up, drive it, and see if your oil pressure is good. If you damaged the bearings, you will likely see diminished oil pressure when the engine is hot as the journal-to-bearing clearance would have increased.

It might be worth it to cut open the new filter you reinstall after a hundred miles or so of driving if all else seems well.
+Quote Post
DM_2000
post Oct 26 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 21,351

Motor is probably OK unless it was in poor shape pre oil loss.

I've rebuilt / repaired countless engines across many makes and have seen the results of oil loss, having something left in the pan is a plus.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Oct 26 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #16

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

Ralph, hope all is ok, were you using a grease gun hose? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I'm not gonna take any chances, the kit Ian posted looks to be a good insurance policy...
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Oct 27 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #17

GeoJoe

Not sure of the origin of the hose, most likely came with the sender and gauge when I bought it 35 plus years ago. It was on my list of things to hit this winter... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I will know by noon tomorrow ....stay tuned
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Oct 31 2017, 09:46 AM
Post #18

GeoJoe

Got oil back in it and fired it up. After a short but painful squeal it fired up and ran. I let it idle for about 5 mins. Didn't sound bad, but there was what sounded like valve clatter on a beetle, although less noisy than a beetle. Will do a real road test run after I change the oil again this weekend. I am not confident that it will pass the test. I afraid that I am gonna need to start listing engine rebuild options. Parameters for the rebuild:

- It is a numbers matching car so keeping the case is a plus
- I currently have Weber 44s
- I would like more power but want to have heat exchangers
- I do not want the car to be loud, I want to keep my exhaust as is (I have a borla unit)
- I do not want to spend more on the engine than the car is worth (thats the wife talking)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 31 2017, 10:16 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

- Put suspect numbers-matching engine in the basement.

- Install good used engine into car (re-installing with not-numbers-matching Webers...natch...)

- Enjoy car.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 31 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 31 2017, 12:16 PM) *

- Put suspect numbers-matching engine in the basement.

- Install good used engine into car (re-installing with not-numbers-matching Webers...natch...)

- Enjoy car.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Smart idea, if you're not ready to pull the trigger on a full build.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:59 AM