Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How often should you change...
BCinSC
post Jul 6 2003, 09:17 AM
Post #1

Nothing but Trouble

Group: Members
Member No.: 800
Region Association: North East States

The fuel filter?
Spark Plugs?
Condensor (Points)?
Brake pads, F vs R?

Pack Front Wheel Bearings?

I'm looking through the history of my car and am shocked at how often these things were done. Though I can do nothing about it, I question whether the dealer actually did them each time, or just took the poor guy for all he had.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jul 6 2003, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

From the factory service manuals, volume 0, page 1-1-1/1:

Fuel Filter: R&R - 6K
Spark Plugs: clean, check, adjust gap - 6K
Distributor: check and adjust if necessary - at 6K, then every 12K
Brakes: Remove brake linings, check and measure wear (plus a lot of other
stuff) - 12K

Note listed at bottom of page:

Note: The service intervals indicated are for normal use. Particularly tire and brake lining wear are very much dependent on how the car is driven and should possibly be checked at shorter intervals. At least once each year, before the cold season begins, a large scale service check should be carried out.

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
Anton
post Jul 6 2003, 10:52 AM
Post #3

Royal Orange

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

Fuel filter: depends on how much you drive and if the fuel used is clean (without particles). I would say every 2 years. Is not expensive; just change it.

Spark plugs: depends on mileage, but also on mixture, oil burning, and ignition condition. Check the electrodes and gap between them (adjust if necessary). In case of doubt, change them, they should normally be good for 10K miles or so.

Condensor: usually works or doesn't, meaning the engine runs or not. The capacity may decrease over time, but this something only to measure with specific equipment. When the points erode rapidly this is also an indication. My advice, (in advance of any problems) change it so that you do not have to be in doubt. Condenser should be good for 5 years or so.

Brake pads: when they have worn off to 2-3mm (0.1 inch); change them. Look closely to the INSIDE pads as they tend to wear off more quickly. But there is more to be inspected such as the brake lines and brake fluid should be changed every two years!!! These things are very important for safety but often neglected.

Front wheel bearings: the play should be adjusted regularly (annually). Only when they start making (a grinding) noise or are not adjustable anymore they should be changed. When after adjusting they show excessive play within a few weeks this is also an ominous sign: change them.

Furthermore: check the owner's manual and/or the Haynes manual. I believe the pelican Parts website is also helpful.

Do not forget to adjust the valve clearances as this is more important to engine life (besides engine oil) than any of the above!!!

Good luck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:14 PM