Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I jinxed myself, if it's not one thing...
914 novice
post May 25 2005, 08:18 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,391

Jen,
I live off santa teresa and lean.If you like I could help you listen for the sounds that all of the guys have suggested.I am afraid i am not much of a mechanic.If it isn't one of the easy fixes that I could handle I could follow you to Britain or Jeffs to make sure you make it o.k. as long as the times work out between my work and kids.
Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jenny
post May 25 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96
Region Association: None

Thanks guys. Brad PM'd me and he thinks it may be the throwout bearing as well. I'll try to drive it to Britain's for him to take a look.

Here's my question: Can I drive it 20 miles or so? I can go easy on her, but there will be freeways involved. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
john rogers
post May 25 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 391

If the throwout bearing is failing it will become harder to shift since the clutch adjustment is changing as the bearings fail. There could be some damage with the bearing dragging on the pressure plate and it is possible to have it fail enough so that shifting would not be possible. If you drive it, I'd say try to minimize the amount of use you give it.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post May 25 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #44

Leo Imperial and Logan Apollo...my terrors.

Member No.: 741

QUOTE (redshift @ May 24 2005, 08:18 PM)
Mine sounds like a rear wheel bearing.

Saved by the Bell... I am pretty sure. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M

Yep, Save by the Bell.
+Quote Post
tnorthern
post May 25 2005, 10:41 AM
Post #45

Your Mom's []

Member No.: 3,859

Well, I haven't seen anyone else post this so I will post my experience. I had a noise that sounds very similar to what you are dealing with. It turned out to be a warped rotor that was only hitting the pad at a certain speed. Once I put new rotors on the noise completely went away. The thing that made it hard to trace was that it behaved like a bearing going bad, i.e. starts after a certain speed, seems based on wheel speed, goes away after you slow below a certain speed. Good Luck.
+Quote Post
Toast
post May 25 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #46

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (redshift @ May 24 2005, 10:42 PM)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif) [/QUOTE]
I am pretty sure it's Aaron's fault.

M

Miles is back! I thought for sure someone was using your Identity here because you were too serious earlier in this thread. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

Squeek and Aaron look errily familiar.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

Jenny, sorry i'm not much help. I'm having a similar problem with my truck and its driving me crazy trying to figure it out.
Please let us know what it is when you find out.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Jenny
post May 25 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Front passenger wheel bearing. I'm almost positive. The sound is loudest when driving surface streets, especially after a 10 minute jog on the freeway. When it started singing, I tried hard accelerating, braking, clutch in throttle, in and out of gear. It made no difference in the sound. Then I made a L turn and heard more screeching, then clunking. Made a U turn, and more clunking & screeching. I had Brian hang his head out the window and he said it's coming from the front. I don't think driving it is a very viable option at this point. So Britain's offered his help if I can get my car to his garage. From Mtn. View to Milpitas, pretty much the length of 237. Any takers? The apartment complex I live in doesn't let you work on your car. Not so much as an oil change. And to make matters worse, I'm less than 100ft from the leasing office. They've been showing apartments all month. I don't even live on Stanford! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post May 25 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #48

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

lmao jenny....

bring it over here -- fuck 'em. my car is on jack stands right now anyway!
+Quote Post
Jenny
post May 27 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Wow...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jenny
post May 27 2005, 02:04 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

more

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jenny
post May 27 2005, 02:08 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Nice, huh? Jeff Keyzer was nice enough to teach me how to replace a front wheel bearing tonight. It took us a while, but we got it done, and I learned a lot along the way. Let's hope I never have to do that again! The rotor didn't want to come off at all. It took a good portion of the evening to coax it out. Thanks, Jeff, for giving up your night to help me out. And for the use of your garage. And I'm SO SO SO sorry for chipping the paint on your door! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
skline
post May 27 2005, 02:09 AM
Post #52

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well, I have been wrong before, I am sure I will be wrong again. The description you gave made it sound like a TO bearing. If I could have been in the car, that would have been an easy diagnosis. How is the spindle that was on? Did it gouge it? The wheel bearing is much easier to change than the TO bearing. Glad it wasnt anything major.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post May 27 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The inner race of the outside bearing froze to the spindle and gouged the hell out of it. The rotor was HOT from all the friction of the toasted bearing. I am really glad Jenny did not attempt taking the car all the way to Milpitas on 237. The wheel had about 1/2" of wobble to it when she arrived at my house. Getting the rotor off required large prying instruments and lots of pounding. The car appears to be fine now, and there is minimal play in the bearing when it is properly adjusted, but with that much thrashing to the spindle I told Jenny this is a temporary fix and a new strut is in her future.

You are very welcome Jenny, and you can count on me any time. Don't worry about the door, you didn't mean it and as you know I have had far, far worse happen to my car than a little paint chip. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post May 27 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #54

Leo Imperial and Logan Apollo...my terrors.

Member No.: 741

I became an expert at changing those out on my 69 Firebird I had years and years ago. I would blow one out about every other month, but that was because my frame had settled and I didn't have the money to have it stretched. It really sucked having to do that. But at least it is a fairly cheap fix. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 01:59 AM