Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> To clutch or not to clutch, wear is the question
iankarr
post Nov 7 2017, 11:36 AM
Post #1

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hi Guys,

The engine is out on my '74 and I'll be refreshing my trans with the evil one at his clinic in December.

My question is...should I replace the clutch "while I'm in there?". The car unfortunately has limited service records. It drives well and I haven't experienced any clutch-related issues so part of me is in the "if it ain't broke...." camp. Especially since I don't know if the flywheel has been previously resurfaced and buying a new flywheel probably means splitting the case so everything can be properly balanced, no?

That said...the date on the pressure plate is 1991. I know the car was in long term storage before I got it, so my rough guess is that the clutch has 15K miles on it. But it IS 26 years old.

One other tidbit...

Although the case is original (per COA), some SOB converted it to hydraulic lifters. It runs excellent so my thinking was to just keep it that way until something wears out and I need a full rebuild. But I couuuuuld use this opportunity to go back to a good cam and solid lifters.

Clearly this is a rabbit hole. Please keep me from falling in!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:06 AM