Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do you run harnesses on the street?, why wouldnt you?
carr914
post May 27 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #61

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

I wear my harnesses ( I have a cage). The one thing that has always made me wonder is in the event of a front end collision, the Sparco seat and harnesses would keep me in place and physics would take over, the weight of my head would keep going, snapping my neck. It's called Basil-Skull fracture I believe. It's what took out Earnhart. This is what the Hans Device cures in a racing environment, but is unavailable in a street collision.
T.C.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
airsix
post May 27 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #62

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (carr914 @ May 27 2005, 07:22 AM)
...the weight of my head would keep going, snapping my neck. It's called Basil-Skull fracture I believe. It's what took out Earnhart. This is what the Hans Device cures in a racing environment, but is unavailable in a street collision.
T.C.

Much less energy at street speeds. Just make sure you don't get into a 200mph collision with an imovable object and you'll probably do okay.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
jimtab
post May 27 2005, 11:19 AM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

I wear my harnesses ( I have a cage). The one thing that has always made me wonder is in the event of a front end collision, the Sparco seat and harnesses would keep me in place and physics would take over, the weight of my head would keep going, snapping my neck. It's called Basil-Skull fracture I believe. It's what took out Earnhart. This is what the Hans Device cures in a racing environment, but is unavailable in a street collision.
T.C.

In my opiinion what killed Dale Ernhart was the "culture" of NASCAR. The whole "rubbin is racin'" and general cowboy dipshit attitude is what kept the hans devices out of the cars for so long. I say if your dumb enough to drive 200mph without EVERY possible safety feature in place....well there you go.....
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post May 27 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #64

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (jimtab @ May 27 2005, 01:19 PM)
It's called Basil-Skull fracture I believe. It's what took out Earnhart.

In my opiinion what killed Dale Ernhart was the "culture" of NASCAR. ... I say if your dumb enough to drive 200mph without EVERY possible safety feature in place....well there you go...

"basal" (the base of the skull...)

as much as anything, the open-face helmet was a contributing factor. the "chinguard" section of a full-face helmet acts as a travel-limiter (like a HANS, to a much lesser degree...) to keep your head from over-rotating forward.

and that is but one reason why i won't wear an open-face helmet.

full-face helmets are hot, which presents other hazards - which is why i use forced-ventilation helmets. i have a Bell, but G-Force has one that's reasonably priced -- it's what i bought for my wife, and when my Bell times out in 2006 it's probably what i'll get for myself.

there were several contributing factors in the Earnhart fatality and had they not all stacked up the result may well have been different.
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post May 27 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #65

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

Here's my story:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1087277

In a nutshell: If the harness is FMVSS209 compliant then you're good.
My opinion on a harness in a non-caged vehicle: Shit, I ride a motorcycle, are you really gonna listen to me? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post May 27 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #66

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

Oh DUH (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) Now I go back and click on the the link ArtechnikA posted and it's mine (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) Just ignore me, I've been cooped up inside on this gorgeous Oregon day playing nanny to a 4 month-old girl (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 04:50 AM