Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using chalk to determine tire pressure
ChrisReale
post Jul 7 2003, 12:20 AM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

On some tires, there is a triangle on the side wall by the tread that you can use to determine how much roll the tire is experiencing. How do you use chalk to mark the triangle to determine roll? I am curious also about Victoracer tire pressures. I started out at 30psi, but determined the car handles better at 26 or 27 psi. This seems a little low to me. Any comments?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 7 2003, 04:48 AM
Post #2

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Just put a 3" line across the tread and up the sidewall. I use white shoe polish. After a run session you can see how much roll you were getting by where the line is rubbed off. Aboooooout ....... there is perfect. Judge your tire pressures by what they are at the end of a session. 26 - 27 is not to low to start. I put 2 less in the front outside tire. Maybe 1 less in the outside rear (depending on the track). Mine feels good when I come in with hot tires at 30 - 31. If it gets much higher the Kumhos feel slippery. 30 would be an OK start if you are just autocrossing since the tires will never get a chance to heat up. Play around with it. What ever feels good (and produces lower lap times) is the right number. You optimum start pressure may change depending on the ambient temperature and the track surface.

You can get better information if you have a pyrometer. (I don't have one) I see all the fast/expensive racers do. They take inside/center/outside readings on each tire. I don't know how they interpret the data. If somebody else post a reply, we can both learn something.
+Quote Post
Don Wohlfarth
post Jul 7 2003, 08:36 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

Using the triangle on the sidewall of the tire you adjust pressure so there is a scuff mark to the edge of the tire from the track surface. You want to adjust pressure until you barely touch the tip of the triangle. This method works well until you start running +2 or +3 tires sizes over the oem size tire. Lighter cars don't have enough weight to keep a flat foot print with oversized tires.
Using tire temps you measure inside, center, outside. Temps should be higher on the inside, to the outside. In a perfect world the temps would be even across the tire but that seldom happens. About the best you can hope for is about 15 degrees from inside to outside with inside being the highest. Temps are usually in the 160-200 range. I run Michelin Pilot Sport Cups 225-245 X 16 on my 1900# 914 and don't see much above 170-175 even on hot days.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:27 AM