Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mortality rate of Pertronix 2, ECU, and coil..., Plugs have weak spark, gas getting in cly., no pop whatsoever
second wind
post Nov 9 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Hey guys,
'73 2.0 FI blew a spark plug out...fixed it and it ran so-so...then it didn't run at all...then it ran perfect for 20 minutes...then next day ran for a minute and died. Plugs have weak spark but couldn't get a pop out of any cylinders for two hours....still dead....have checked a lot of wires and logically it should at least fire a bit but absolutely nothing. Maybe spark too weak to fire under compression? Or some component dead I can't figure out? Even with starting fluid not a single pop. Your thoughts? Thank you.
gg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 9 2017, 11:51 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Needs fuel, air, and spark.

Sounds like the spark is weak. Not great. Possibly try disconnecting all the extra stuff from the coil (tach signal wire, any extra crap that got plugged in) and see if that improves it.

Check for fuel. You can put the injectors into jars and look while the starter is cranking. You can also look at the spray pattern to make sure it is vaguely cone-shaped.

Check for air--or rather, compression. All four cylinders.

If you have those, the only variables are when the sparks happen (timing), and how much fuel is going in (mixture).

--DD
+Quote Post
second wind
post Nov 10 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 9 2017, 10:51 PM) *

Needs fuel, air, and spark.

Sounds like the spark is weak. Not great. Possibly try disconnecting all the extra stuff from the coil (tach signal wire, any extra crap that got plugged in) and see if that improves it.

Check for fuel. You can put the injectors into jars and look while the starter is cranking. You can also look at the spray pattern to make sure it is vaguely cone-shaped.

Check for air--or rather, compression. All four cylinders.

If you have those, the only variables are when the sparks happen (timing), and how much fuel is going in (mixture).

--DD

Thank you DD...I did pull injectors and they squirt....it is a real puzzle unless there is no spark in the cylinder....is that possible? Driving me nuts....car ran beautiful but quit in driveway....something changed....but what??
gg
+Quote Post
somd914
post Nov 10 2017, 06:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Do you smell gas when trying to start? If you pull a plug after attempting to start is it soaked with gas? As for weak spark, assume this is based on pulling a plug and cranking with the plug grounded against the engine case or other good ground?

If she is flooding, I'd take a look at your CHT sensor. A bad sensor or broken lead/harness wire on the CHT can cause flooding and no start, even to the point of showing no willingness to kick/pop.
+Quote Post
second wind
post Nov 10 2017, 12:38 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 10 2017, 04:06 AM) *

Do you smell gas when trying to start? If you pull a plug after attempting to start is it soaked with gas? As for weak spark, assume this is based on pulling a plug and cranking with the plug grounded against the engine case or other good ground?

If she is flooding, I'd take a look at your CHT sensor. A bad sensor or broken lead/harness wire on the CHT can cause flooding and no start, even to the point of showing no willingness to kick/pop.

Wow Somd914....you are describing it exactly as it is. I am judging the spark with a spark plug pushed against a part of the engine....very weak spark....lots of gas smell....while repairing the blown out spark plug I nudged and pulled on all the wires in the area. I will get back in there and double check all of the wires. How do you test the CHT? Thank you.
gg
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 11 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #6

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Did you nudge them to the left, or right? How's the barn coming? Did you sell off the other cars?

Have you checked out the Fiat x19 forums? They are great fodder. Seriously, you could win there.

-oi812
+Quote Post
somd914
post Nov 11 2017, 06:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(second wind @ Nov 10 2017, 01:38 PM) *

Wow Somd914....you are describing it exactly as it is. I am judging the spark with a spark plug pushed against a part of the engine....very weak spark....lots of gas smell....while repairing the blown out spark plug I nudged and pulled on all the wires in the area. I will get back in there and double check all of the wires. How do you test the CHT? Thank you.
gg

It's been a while since I messed with D-Jet, went carbs several years ago.

I'm looking for the resistance specs and D-Jet harness pin out, but you'll need a multimeter to read the resistance of the sensor. Its resistance changes with temperature to change fuel enrichment. With high resistance or an open such as a broken lead wire, the mixture goes very rich and the engine won't run.

First step is to disconnect the CHT from the D-Jet harness and test the resistance at the CHT connector. If out of tolerance, then replace the sensor. If it's good, reconnect the CHT connector to the harness, then you will need to pull the harness cable at the engine control unit and test resistance from the control unit connector.

In my case, I had a broken wire in the harness a few inches from the CHT connector. It made intermittent contact, so it would run occasionally then die, or it would crank with no signs of firing off, just flooding.

Sorry, I'll see if I can track down resistance specs and control unit connector pin outs, or perhaps someone else will chime in...
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 11 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Check your distributor cap center (coil contact) pin. It's spring loaded and should push in at least 1/4". If it's worn to the end limit it will make a poor "on again, off again" contact. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 11 2017, 11:38 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 11 2017, 04:48 AM) *

gg

I'm looking for the resistance specs and D-Jet harness pin out, but you'll need a multimeter to read the resistance of the sensor. Its resistance changes with temperature to change fuel enrichment. With high resistance or an open such as a broken lead wire, the mixture goes very rich and the engine won't run.

First step is to disconnect the CHT from the D-Jet harness and test the resistance at the CHT connector. If out of tolerance, then replace the sensor. If it's good, reconnect the CHT connector to the harness, then you will need to pull the harness cable at the engine control unit and test resistance from the control unit connector.

In my case, I had a broken wire in the harness a few inches from the CHT connector. It made intermittent contact, so it would run occasionally then die, or it would crank with no signs of firing off, just flooding.

Sorry, I'll see if I can track down resistance specs and control unit connector pin outs, or perhaps someone else will chime in...

Broken MPS diaphram will flood the engine like it is WOT.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 11 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #10

Cross Member

If this post is for real...

Check the braided ground wire between the advance plates in the distributor. It's not uncommon for one end to come loose. If that connection is bad, it causes weak spark. Sort of a needle in a hay stack, so good to know.
+Quote Post
second wind
post Nov 11 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #11

Yes this post is for real. I have a new distributor cap on there and will be checking the braided ground wire as suggested. Will be tracing the CHT sensor lead wire as well. Mikey said he has new CHT sensors but I wonder if the 012 vs.017 part number discrepancy will be an issue? Thank you for the PM Mark and all other responders.
gg
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 11 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #12

Cross Member

Trying after all the OU812, you understand.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 11 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 11 2017, 12:57 PM) *

Trying after all the OU812, you understand.

Greg has been here awhile.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 11 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #14

Cross Member

Sigh. Sorry Greg. Kent's word is good enough for me. It's just that ou812 left a bad taste in our mouths, changed his screen name to something like second wind... The remains of a polluter. I just don't have tolerance for trolls, but letting it go.

Seriously, check the ground wire between the dizzy plates. Happened to me in a parking lot. Cranked, backfired, wouldn't run. Checked spark, it was weak yellow. Found the wire broke loose on one of the plates. Still had *some* spark but it was weak. Swapped in a spare dizzy and it fired right up. YMMV but just something on the table. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
second wind
post Nov 11 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 11 2017, 03:01 PM) *

Sigh. Sorry Greg. Kent's word is good enough for me. It's just that ou812 left a bad taste in our mouths, changed his screen name to something like second wind... The remains of a polluter. I just don't have tolerance for trolls, but letting it go.

Seriously, check the ground wire between the dizzy plates. Happened to me in a parking lot. Cranked, backfired, wouldn't run. Checked spark, it was weak yellow. Found the wire broke loose on one of the plates. Still had *some* spark but it was weak. Swapped in a spare dizzy and it fired right up. YMMV but just something on the table. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Oh...Ok....I get it...you're treating me like Emmett Till but just now realize I'm some other guy....I will let it go if you can solve the puzzle.....
Regards,
gg
+Quote Post
second wind
post Nov 11 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #16

Yeah Rand.....thanks for the help. Just to get it out of my system, I suspect the only bad taste in your mouth is from Kent's dick. Fuck you both!!
Sincerely,
gg
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 11 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Wow, sounds like someone needs a time out...

--DD
+Quote Post
second wind
post Nov 12 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 11 2017, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 11 2017, 04:48 AM) *

gg

Broken MPS diaphram will flood the engine like it is WOT.

MPS passed pressure holding test....thank you.
gg
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 12 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(second wind @ Nov 11 2017, 05:46 PM) *

Yeah Rand.....thanks for the help. Just to get it out of my system, I suspect the only bad taste in your mouth is from Kent's dick. Fuck you both!!
Sincerely,
gg

Your a EDIT. I was standing up for you. Are you the guy with the light blue 914 that was at the last WCR?
+Quote Post
second wind
post Nov 12 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 12 2017, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Nov 11 2017, 05:46 PM) *

Sincerely,
gg

Your a EDIT. I was standing up for you. Are you the guy with the light blue 914 that was at the last WCR?

Wow....I know you stood up for me...thank you....no anger aimed at you...those two other guys were accusing me of being some other guy...how did I offend you? I whole heartedly apologize for upsetting you...
gg
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:25 AM