Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mortality rate of Pertronix 2, ECU, and coil..., Plugs have weak spark, gas getting in cly., no pop whatsoever
mgphoto
post Nov 13 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #21

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

I spent some time the other day with 2ndwind and his '73 2.0L.
I had set up the mps and adjusted it with my AFR meter, it ran pretty good.

I found the #4 spark plug had loosened it's time cert and was no longer holding compression.
The main problem seems to be the engine is flooded, plugs 1, 2, 3 were all wet, plug 4 was bone dry. One of 2W's problems could stem from a bad connection on injector #4 (dry plug).
The battery has been run pretty low and needs a good day of charging.

I checked everything that has been suggested here, (pertronix doesn't need the ground strap in the dizzy, but it is there).

One of the items that seemed odd was the fuel pump would run for 30 seconds or more?

He relocated the pump a while ago, and I must say the plumbing job is top notch.
After checking the hoses for kinks, with the pan off, the pump acted normally, about a second on and then off. Repeatable.

I did check the orientation of the relays, we replaced one that had it's cover come off.

The last time it fired up gg said he had left the key on for 5 hours, that's what prompted the Pertronix question. FYI they are WAY sensetive to reverse polarity, DO NOT MIX UP + AND - ....

I really have to say the 2ndwind is just like me, he freaks out when his car is not running right!

I think a new set of plugs, let the battery charge and dry out the cylinders, FIX the time cirt correctly, and he like me would be happy as a clam, rushing down the road to the next 914 issue to set the emotional rollercoaster in motion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Nov 13 2017, 08:01 PM
Post #22

Achtzylinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Stuck valve? Put your hand over the throttle body and crank the engine. Vacuum should suck your hand tight.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:59 AM