Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.7 liter engine nut orientation and gasket, engine case nuts and nut gasket
pgollender
post Nov 11 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,281
Region Association: Northern California

Which way is the preferred way for case nut orientation ?
Q#1. Stamped numbers up or down ? Attached Image
Q#2. All on the same side of the case or alternating ?
Attached Image
Q#3a. These nuts originally came stock with what I assume was some pinkish rubber oil seal. Does anyone know what rubber gasket material can be substituted ?
Q#3b. Was the rubber gasket seal outside of nut or inside of nut towards the washer ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 12 2017, 12:18 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pgollender @ Nov 11 2017, 04:43 PM) *
Q#1. Stamped numbers up or down ?
Functionally: it doesn't matter.
I like to put all the numbers facing out/visible.

Q#2. All on the same side of the case or alternating ?
All on the same side in my opinion, but again, I don't think it matters functionally.

Q#3a. These nuts originally came stock with what I assume was some pinkish rubber oil seal. Does anyone know what rubber gasket material can be substituted ?
Possibly the earliest engines came with the sealed nuts, but most of the engines that I've disassembled which appeared to be original didn't have the sealed nuts. I've never used the sealed nuts on an engine and haven't had a problem. I wouldn't blame anyone for using them, but I would also never recommend them because they're unnecessary.

Q#3b. Was the rubber gasket seal outside of nut or inside of nut towards the washer?
If you do use them, the sealing ring goes out. It's intended to seal the nut to the stud/bolt (thread sealing).

I used Loctite 565 sealant on both sides of both washers on every case bolt, but the case bolts are not one of the common leak areas, so you don't need to get crazy here. Just a light coat, just in case.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:30 AM