Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yet another head thread, Need advice
bbrock
post Nov 28 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 28 2017, 12:07 PM) *

I see something that looks like a crack in the spark plug hole (which is a super common crack site). Use some machinists die and that will tell you quick if there is a crack there or not. Post 14, Second picture, left hand cylinder, 3 o'clock on the spark plug hole. Could be a casting flaw, but it looks like a crack.

Zach

I see it. Good eye! Luckily, I'm pretty sure that's a combination of lighting and some flecks of carbon still in the casting pores. I'll pick up some machinist's dye to be certain. But here is a close-up of that hole. I think the crack is that little band of smudge now at 9 o'clock in this pic.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 28 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've never had to use dye to see cracks on a T4 head, they're always quite obvious. Also check the exhaust guide boss area inside the port.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 30 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Did a little more blasting around those exhaust guide bosses and inspected for cracks. None found. Also got those little bastard exhaust gaskets out. Like you said, couldn't get enough force with the pick, but was able to carefully catch an edge with a small screw driver inserted from the combustion chamber side and pop them out with a light tap of a hammer.

Last question.... for now. What are the best valves to buy for a stock 2.0L? I'd like to get them before sending the heads in so I have better control over what parts get installed. As I mentioned, the last two pairs of heads I had rebuilt did not end well. I want this one done right.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 30 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Manly Stainless are commonly used.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:48 PM