Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hit and Run Victiom, becoming a GT conversion...
ConeDodger
post Nov 12 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #21

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 12 2017, 09:24 AM) *

If you can find original OEM steel flares they are the best. But they just are very rare.
Automobile Atlanta sell steel flares that are very good. Or you can post a WTB in the classifieds. That's pretty much it.

Rear 5 lug conversion is simple- Drill existing hubs and install a 5 lug rotor.
Eric at PMB can sell you these. WTB in the classifieds works also.

All sorts of threads in the Classics forum on conversions.

Huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

There is a set of original German flares for sale on one of the Facebook 914
Pages. Only $4500.00. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The reproduction flares are thicker gauge metal, more accurate and most often under $1000.00.

Not sure the rare expensive part should be used on a conversion either.

To the OP, this is terrible and my worst nightmare. I hope you come out of it better than you went in.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 12 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #22

Apex killer!

These are custom built 8.5” Fuchs on mine so I’d guess any stockish 8” is going to work. There’s more room up front but changing the track width up there makes steering harder. These are stock 7X16” up front. Don’t go too wide, they have to turn!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 12 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think doing the flares, wheels, brakes and suspension before you do the engine conversion is a great idea. Except for flare install, body work and paint, theres no reason your car should be down for a long time. Then decide if you are doing the engine and gather parts while you drive.
+Quote Post
CG-914
post Nov 13 2017, 10:18 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,526
Region Association: Southern California

I had some time of thinking and I will convert to a flat six. The reason the engine is a topic already, the current type 4 has low oil pressure and a rod knock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Does anybody have a link for the oil tank options?

Where do you run the oil lines for the front cooler? I worked on a customer 914-6 conversion car once, that was not made well and I was trying to fix some of the big issues, anyways the oil lines for the cooler where run under the car in the impression where the tunnel is located above and I did not like that solution...

At Patrick Motorsport they sell two 914 6 engine mounts, weld on and bolt on, i guess bolt on is easier, but what is the advantage of weld on? I don't see a big difference structurally.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 13 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #25

Apex killer!

McMark made a copy of the six mount and I believe Ben has taken over making and selling them MB911?

The factory oil lines to the front cooler ran under the rocker covers on the driver side. You can run the high pressure rubber hoses which is perfectly adequate, or braided lines which are expensive. If you want authenticity, I think PMB is making the bent solid oil lines that were originally used.

That same Ben is making the oil tank...
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Nov 14 2017, 01:25 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just a mention that there are other options. My 3.2 conversion uses a Johnson mount similar to the Valeo mount (there is one currently available on eBay) that mimics the original -6 mount with excellent isolation. My conversion also uses a rather large auxiliary cooler mounted under the trunk needing much shorter lines and fewer modifications. Cooling has not been a problem although the summers are not that hot in the Pacific Northwest.
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Nov 15 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 16,526

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

This was super helpful for me doing my 5 lug conversion.
you have my number im always game to help.
+Quote Post
CG-914
post Nov 24 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #28

Thank you for the link Colin!

Im still trying to figure out what 911 flatsix route i will be going.

Quick question though: AA has the GT flares and fitting rocker panels. My Rocker panels are rusted through so they are no candidate to weld on different ends. Do the GT rocker panels from AA fit?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 24 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(CG-914 @ Nov 24 2017, 09:35 AM) *

Thank you for the link Colin!

Im still trying to figure out what 911 flatsix route i will be going.

Quick question though: AA has the GT flares and fitting rocker panels. My Rocker panels are rusted through so they are no candidate to weld on different ends. Do the GT rocker panels from AA fit?

Not very well
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sithot
post Nov 24 2017, 01:58 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

QUOTE(CG-914 @ Nov 11 2017, 11:44 PM) *

Last night on my commute home my '74 914 2.0 was hit in the rear by a Mercedes Sedan, the driver fled the scene (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) and my insurance company explained to me today, that yes, you are insured against uninsured drivers and therefore against hit and run accidents but only for medical expenses (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) , I guess next time I read the fine print better.

California has it's own rules:

https://www.sanfranciscoinjurylawyerblog.co..._pay_for_1.html

The State of California requires drivers to carry insurance at all times. Many drivers assume that carrying the minimum insurance required should cover damage done to their car in most instances. However, this is not the case.
California Insurance Code Section 11580.1b only requires that drivers buy liability insurance that provides at least $15,000 in coverage for injury or death to one person, $30,000 in coverage for injury or death to more than one person, and $5,000 in coverage for property damage.]This type of insurance coverage pays medical expenses and vehicle repair costs to the other driver, if the insured is at fault. Therefore, if you find yourself the victim of a hit and run accident, the minimum amount of insurance would not cover any of your costs.

25% of California motorists are driving without insurance. Drivers who carry only liability insurance are not covered in the case of an accident with an uninsured motorist and must pay for medical bills and for repairs to damaged property out of pocket. In California, a hit and run accident where the driver is unidentified is treated by insurance companies as if it were an accident with an uninsured motorist. According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, 11% of accidents are hit and run accidents nationwide. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration puts the number of hit and run accidents in California specifically at 18% of crashes.

There are optional types of coverage that will pay for some or all of the expenses of a victim of a hit and run crash. First, collision coverage will cover damage sustained by the insured’s car, regardless of who is at fault, including hit and run drivers. However, this type of insurance requires the insured to pay a deductible out of pocket and is more expensive than other types of insurance. In addition, a claim to the insurance company may affect the policy holder’s future insurance rate, regardless of who is at fault. A driver would need to take out an additional personal injury policy in order to be covered for medical expenses in the event of a hit and run accident.

Insurance companies in California are also required to offer uninsured motorists coverage. This type of insurance covers the medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering of policy holders who suffer injuries as a result of an accident with an uninsured driver, including hit and run motorists. Additionally, drivers may choose to carry uninsured motorist property damage coverage for damage to their car. Uninsured motorist property damage insurance is advisable as 80% of hit and run accident involve only damage to vehicles. There is no deductible for this type of coverage, however there may be limits placed on the amount paid out.

If you are the victim of a hit and run accident, whether the driver is identifiable or not, it is recommended that you file a police report. You may have to complete a walk-in report at the police department, as some patrols will respond to the accident site, especially if the accident occurred on private property like a grocery store parking lot. A police report is important documentation of your claim and may be required to pursue a claim with your insurance company if you do have collision or uninsured motorists insurance.

If the hit and run driver is identified (for instance, by license plate number) the victim of the accident may file a civil lawsuit for damages against the driver and their insurance company if they carry insurance. The victim’s insurance company may have a lien on any damages awarded to the victim for money it previously paid out to the victim, called the right of subrogation. In any case, the victim may be able to recover out of pocket expenses not covered by insurance and for pain and suffering. Injury victims in California who want to bring a civil action against a hit and run driver should consult a California accident attorney for information on their rights and possible outcomes of a suit.
+Quote Post
CG-914
post Jan 29 2018, 12:18 AM
Post #31

Its been a while so here an update and some more questions:

The car has been mostly sitting, I been waiting on guy to come by check out the damage to pull out the corner.
This weekend I took the time to get the rear bumper off and 'pry' open the rear trunk, to be able to move it.

I also ordered and hunted down some parts, got a set of GT flares from AA and some proper 5 lug 911 conversion parts.

I have some questions now, since I'm going into the sheetmetal/body work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) :
- where are you getting wich panels from (fitment and best price...)(also 914 sheetmetal pieces seem hard to come by)?

- the next question is about what front mounted oil coolers do you run and where and what lines do you run to the front (also asking that question since i have to fix the rockers...)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 29 2018, 05:53 AM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ben/MB911 will shortly have an entire front oil cooler kit for sale. It will make it easy to buy it all in one place and have everything fit.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 29 2018, 06:12 AM
Post #33

914 Guru

Check out my GT oil line group buy thread for oil lines..

I also am working on a complete -6. Turn key kit.. And getting close.. Let me know how I can help.
+Quote Post
CG-914
post Jan 29 2018, 12:42 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 29 2018, 07:12 AM) *

I also am working on a complete -6. Turn key kit.. And getting close.. Let me know how I can help.

What fittings and cooler do you use? Where do your lines run to the front? Do you have any pictures.

Does anybody have pictures of the factory solution and pictures of an solution, as well as mounting the cooler in the front and what body alterations where made in the front, to accommodate for the cooler...
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 29 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

QUOTE(CG-914 @ Jan 29 2018, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 29 2018, 07:12 AM) *

What fittings and cooler do you use? Where do your lines run to the front? Do you have any pictures.

Does anybody have pictures of the factory solution and pictures of an solution, as well as mounting the cooler in the front and what body alterations where made in the front, to accommodate for the cooler...

Below are factory setups pictured. Mine will be similar.. The hard GT lines run on the outside of the rocker underneath the rocker cover and goes through the rocker into the inside of the car. This is what my kits will and do as well.. If it was good for the factory it is good for usAttached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=6
36937]Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:33 AM