Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cold weather driving
Grosbard
post Nov 12 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,862
Region Association: Southern California

I haven't driven my car in cold weather yet, and I have a couple of questions for you more experienced guys.

So far I've only driven the car on warm, or moderate days (70 degrees and up). It is having an overheating issue. i.e. engine temp gets too high after 60-90 minutes of highway cruising on a hot day, so I have to pull over and let the car cool down. Then I'm fine again for another 60-90 minutes.

The overheating issue needs to be fixed, and it will be taken care of this winter. In the meanwhile, I might take a drive in the near future. The current weather here in the northeast is around 40-50 degrees fahrenheit.

So my questions are:

1. Would the outside air temperature being 40 or 50 degrees significantly change my overheating issue to the point where it won't be a problem, or in the grand scheme of things is the engine so much hotter than 20-30 degree difference in ambient temperature, so it won't make much difference.

2. I don't have a heater in the car (another thing that will be resolved this winter). Do you guys think it would be too cold in the car for a drive with my wife on a 40 degree day (or a 20 degree day), or would the heat radiating from the engine compartment keep the cabin pretty comfy once the car has warmed up a bit?

Thanks for all your help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 12 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

1) Outside temp make a difference in engine cooling? Yes. My 930 will get very hot when temps are 80F or above.

When temps are 40-60F, the engine stays right at the temperature where the oil cooler valve opens up.

2) No heat? You will be very cold. Without the 914 heating system, the cabin will be very cold. Not much heat transfers from the engine compartment to the cabin. I've done it before. Cruising in 60F weather w/o heat was very cold and uncomfortable.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 12 2017, 09:51 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The 914 looses heat quickly. I drove my first 914 through the winter without any heat and it was rough. But I was 17 and didn’t know about heat exchangers. The biggest problem is the windshield fogs up and the only way to keep it clear is to open a window. Your wife will hate it.

The good thing about a 914 is a working heat system will almost fry you out of the car, even on a cold day. That’s with the heat on high, you can always turn it down.

Don’t bother trying to heat the car with little electric heaters. It doesn’t work. I copied this screenshot from pelican because it shows how the math won’t add up to heat your car with electric.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Racer
post Nov 13 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,073

Drove my 914 the other morning... 30 degree air temp. No heat. Not warm in cabin, but with a coat, gloves, ear muffs and a couple more layers, was passable for the 1hr ride to an AX event. Luckily I was not breathing too much and causing frost to form on the inside! (and yea, I've had that situation before in another 914 without heat, driving in the snow. Good times!)

+Quote Post
mzalanka
post Nov 13 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,300

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319687

Get 'em now - great price and hard to source. Source the missing "C" brackets, get the seals and heater hoses from Mark at 914rubber, pick up some flapper boxes and you're golden.

Heat in a 914 is awesome.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 13 2017, 08:29 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It's impossible to say whether you will be cold. Around here a 30 degree and sunny day is a candidate for top off driving. It just depends on your tolerance and how you dress. But I agree with Mark that window fogging is your real problem. That can make it downright dangerous.

As others have said, the 914 heating system is awesome. I remember many days driving with the top off in the 40s and 50s and being perfectly comfortable. Roll up the windows and turn the heat up full, and it is amazing how warm the cabin stays.

Contrast that with the VW bus we used to have with a perfectly functioning heating system (which is the equivalent of lighting a match in a barn). I remember one very cold Christmas driving home to the folks for the holiday. Even with the heat cranked, the wife and I were both bundled in high end winter mummy sleeping bags. I had to unzip the foot to stick my frozen toes out to run the peddles, and kept an ice scraper in one hand to frequently scrape the frost off the inside of the glass.

One great thing about a 914 in the snow is that if you get stuck, you can often stick a leg out the open door and push yourself out without even getting out of your seat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Nov 14 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Many memories of driving a 1964 Beetle in Ohio winters and scraping ice off the INSIDE of the windshield. It would be frost free a few inches from the corners of the windshield where the defrost vents emerged.
Presumably the H/E's had developed some leaks by then ???

nob Barefoot then !
+Quote Post
Grosbard
post Nov 15 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,862
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks for all the input, guys!
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 15 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #9

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Dress for the weather outside the car. Enjoy the shelter of the car. It's not supposed to be a comfort queen that makes you uncomfortable when you get out. Freakin' weenies who cry about temperatures making me nuts (not you Grosbard, it's come up on other posts). Get some gear, layer it up. Gear up for how you would hang out outside for crying out loud. The 914 is shelter from the weather. If you don't get this, pick up a mommy mobile with the creature comforts you need to keep your tiny balls warm so you can park near your warm office and run inside before you get cold.

(and before anyone gets offended, I'm just ranting at the idea in fun, not directed to anyone.)
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Nov 16 2017, 05:24 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,984

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 15 2017, 08:53 PM) *

Dress for the weather outside the car. Enjoy the shelter of the car. It's not supposed to be a comfort queen that makes you uncomfortable when you get out. Freakin' weenies who cry about temperatures making me nuts (not you Grosbard, it's come up on other posts). Get some gear, layer it up. Gear up for how you would hang out outside for crying out loud. The 914 is shelter from the weather. If you don't get this, pick up a mommy mobile with the creature comforts you need to keep your tiny balls warm so you can park near your warm office and run inside before you get cold.

(and before anyone gets offended, I'm just ranting at the idea in fun, not directed to anyone.)

Keep your feet on the pegs and don't make fun of my tiny balls (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 16 2017, 08:08 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

If you have overheating problems it's because there's a problem. Driving with a problem, even if it's not manifesting, is risky. If the overheating is caused by incorrect fuel mixture or ignition timing then those things can be causing increased wear and tear.

So without knowing WHAT is causing the overheating, I wouldn't drive it. I would spend the time to fix it.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Nov 16 2017, 09:19 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,103

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 16 2017, 06:08 AM) *

If you have overheating problems it's because there's a problem. Driving with a problem, even if it's not manifesting, is risky. If the overheating is caused by incorrect fuel mixture or ignition timing then those things can be causing increased wear and tear.

So without knowing WHAT is causing the overheating, I wouldn't drive it. I would spend the time to fix it.

Could also be a mouse nest between the cooling tins and cylinders. You can have a look without removing the engine with one of those probe cameras.

Dave
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Nov 16 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #13

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Grosbard @ Nov 12 2017, 10:19 PM) *

. i.e. engine temp gets too high after 60-90 minutes of highway cruising on a hot day, so I have to pull over and let the car cool down. Then I'm fine again for another 60-90 minutes.

If the overheating only happens during highway cruising on a hot day, a few things come to mind.
What engine speed are you cruising at? What gear are you in? Is the top on or off?

If the top is off, you're drastically increasing your air resistance. At highway speeds (55mph and up) the engine already has significantly more load than at non-highway speeds due to air resistance. With the top off, that load intensifies even more (I had a digital CHT gauge in my old car, and I can't recall the exact number, but there was around 10 or 15 degrees difference in head temps at 70mph with the top off vs on). And then if you couple that with low rpm cruising in 5th gear, your engine temps will creep up like you describe. I generally don't like using 5th gear below ~3500rpm for more than a couple minutes unless I'm on a flat-to-downward grade and the top is on, and definitely never cruise in 5th gear below 3000rpm regardless of conditions.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 16 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #14

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 15 2017, 10:53 PM) *

You're not fooling us, Rand, we know you're "Mr. Sensitive" here on the World! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image

The only other thing of "value" I can add is that ambient temps aren't going to impact your head temps that much. If you've got a problem (and it sounds like you do), don't think driving in colder weather is going to protect you from something bad happening. I realized that one very cold evening when my heater flaps were stuck in the closed position and I hit 400 degrees briefly before noticing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif) Cold temps can help keep your oil temps down.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 16 2017, 01:23 PM
Post #15

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 12 2017, 10:51 PM) *

The biggest problem is the windshield fogs up and the only way to keep it clear is to open a window.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Having done the DD think in NE winters without heat for 2 years window fogging is the big thing. I used to drive home from work at 11pm with the top off when temps were above maybe 20F to defog really fast. Wind intrusion into the cabin isn't too bad with the top off and windows up, so it wouldn't be any colder than outside. I was always pretty comfortable in a jacket with gloves and hat.

One of those winters was really cold (many days started below 0F-if you've ever been to Storrs, CT you'd understand...) and I was always amazed at how the L-Jet car would start in maybe 2 revs max on even the coldest of days. The gearbox is pretty balky at those temps with cold oil and used to take quite a few miles to improve.

The worst is actually in the rain right above freezing because you still need the windows slightly open. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Scraping the inside of the windows is another fun thing.

But yeah-your significant other/most friend/mom/basically everyone will hate it. And anyone you see with the top off will think you're insane. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
Fix the overheating problems first though-a timing/fuel problem (or basically anything but perhaps a mouse nest) is always an issue regardless of ambient temperature.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 16 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #16

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

FWIW, I've found RainX can actually help a lot for interior defogging/prevention if you don't have heat. The anti-fog wipes are handy.

https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-water-r...g/#.Wg3mq2hSyUk

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 16 2017, 02:09 PM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 16 2017, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 15 2017, 10:53 PM) *

Dress for the weather outside the car. Enjoy the shelter of the car. It's not supposed to be a comfort queen that makes you uncomfortable when you get out. Freakin' weenies who cry about temperatures making me nuts (not you Grosbard, it's come up on other posts). Get some gear, layer it up. Gear up for how you would hang out outside for crying out loud. The 914 is shelter from the weather. If you don't ge.t this, pick up a mommy mobile with the creature comforts you need to keep your tiny balls warm so you can park near your warm office and run inside before you get cold.

You're not fooling us, Rand, we know you're "Mr. Sensitive" here on the World! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image

The only other thing of "value" I can add is that ambient temps aren't going to impact your head temps that much. If you've got a problem (and it sounds like you do), don't think driving in colder weather is going to protect you from something bad happening. I realized that one very cold evening when my heater flaps were stuck in the closed position and I hit 400 degrees briefly before noticing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif) Cold temps can help keep your oil temps down.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) fix your engine issue and add the correct parts for heat. Used parts are reasonable price and its a bolt on job.
Hell, I'm such a baby these days that I want a/c in my 914.
Actually, I always wanted a/c. I parked my car 1990 because I couldn't do another summer in the car. We just installed electric a/c in two cars at the shop and I'll put my order in as soon as I find some cash.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 16 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Check that your heating flaps (controlled by the bellows under the engine) are opening and that your timing is right. These engines should not overheat.

As far as interior temperatures, properly functioning heat exchangers will bake you. They can be weak on defrosting the windshield, but there’s no lack of heat for the passenger and driver.
+Quote Post
post Nov 18 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #19

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 16 2017, 07:58 PM) *

Check that your heating flaps (controlled by the bellows under the engine) are opening

My car is running too COLD! Is there a way to check the flaps without removing the engine tin?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:14 AM