Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 911 Muffler on Six Conversion, Same outlet location?
mmascari
post Nov 13 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

I'm looking at buying a 911 muffler (Dansk) for my six conversion but just curious if the outlet is in the same spot as a stock '73 rear valence. I want to be able to utilize my stock rear valence without modification. If not I might just buy one that has dual outlets like the GT style.

Also, is there any benefit to using a dual outlet versus a single outlet? Would the single outlet be restrictive? My engine is a 3.0, J&E pistons, webcam GE60 and PMO carbs.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Nov 13 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Interested to know about this as well....going down the same road.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Nov 13 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a narrow body 1974 with a 3.2 conversion using the Dansk single outlet mount and the stock rear valance for that perfect sleeper look. It's identical to the rear valance/Dansk muffler arrangement on my '74 LE in measurement.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Nov 13 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #4

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

You have your answer on the valance. I will comment on the GT style.

This is what I have on my 2.7. I love the look, but it is loud. I ended up with baffles in each pipe and that reduced the drone, but the muffler is still loud. ,But, the sound is magnificant. For longer drives I keep ear plugs in the car, and my neighbors are tolerant. Not for the faint of heart...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 14 2017, 05:40 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Here’s what it would look like and it’s super quit. I considered duels but wanted the sleeper look.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 14 2017, 06:19 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A 65-73 muffler would be correct a 74 and up 2in 1 out will be off on angle.. A dual outlet would help with flow but for 90% of the engine builds a 2 in 1out is sufficient. Check out my "-6 muffler group buy" thread for how they are constructed internally .
+Quote Post
914dave
post Nov 14 2017, 08:06 AM
Post #7

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 14 2017, 07:19 AM) *

A 65-73 muffler would be correct a 74 and up 2in 1 out will be off on angle.. A dual outlet would help with flow but for 90% of the engine builds a 2 in 1out is sufficient. Check out my "-6 muffler group buy" thread for how they are constructed internally .

Ben
What are the 10% that required dual outlet? Will your single outlet be good enough for a US spec 3.2?
Dave
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 14 2017, 08:14 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

The bad ass 3.6 and 3.8 would require it but anything less really doesn't though people think in their minds they do .. Think back to the days of American muscle cars just because a person would go to an open airfilter element didn't mean it went faster it just got louder..

Think about a 3.2 in a 911. The stock exhaust seems less then impressive.. To change to a ssi or something similar improves throttle response but not much else. You will see torque improve a touch.. But most cases they still run a 2in 1out becuase there is nothing to gain with dual outlet but noise..

Keep in mind I am not just speculating as I sold thousands of mufflers with real data points when I owned m&k.
+Quote Post
914dave
post Nov 14 2017, 08:21 AM
Post #9

914 Addict

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 14 2017, 09:14 AM) *

The bad ass 3.6 and 3.8 would require it but anything less really doesn't though people think in their minds they do .. Think back to the days of American muscle cars just because a person would go to an open airfilter element didn't mean it went faster it just got louder..

Think about a 3.2 in a 911. The stock exhaust seems less then impressive.. To change to a ssi or something similar improves throttle response but not much else. You will see torque improve a touch.. But most cases they still run a 2in 1out becuase there is nothing to gain with dual outlet but noise..

Keep in mind I am not just speculating as I sold thousands of mufflers with real data points when I owned m&k.

Good to know. I didn’t realize that you had owned M&K.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 14 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 14 2017, 06:21 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 14 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Good to know. I didn’t realize that you had owned M&K.

Yup I started the company and built it up and sold it now about 5 years ago?? Something like that..owned it for 9 years..
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 14 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Dave - If you ever want to try loud, your welcome to bolt on my M&K 2x2 R muffler. Well, calling it a muffler is a stretch. It's LOUD. It looks awesome. Its a lot of fun. But its not a daily driver and definitely not neighborhood friendly.

I have one of Ben's new 2 in, 1 out, on order.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 14 2017, 09:53 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Funny thing is I just received a dansk GT muffler in the mail for adapting to a set of our 1.625 heat exchangers and wow there is NOTHING inside of it. Just a shell..
+Quote Post
914dave
post Nov 14 2017, 10:02 AM
Post #13

914 Addict

I just put baffles I’m my TT Exhusts RSR muffler. Much quieter. Looks like yours. It is notched to clear the 915. 2000-2400 was extremely loud!!I like Ben’s 2 in 1 out, don’t know if it would clear the trans. Drivability is pretty important.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 14 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 14 2017, 08:02 AM) *

I just put baffles I’m my TT Exhusts RSR muffler. Much quieter. Looks like yours. It is notched to clear the 915. 2000-2400 was extremely loud!!I like Ben’s 2 in 1 out, don’t know if it would clear the trans. Drivability is pretty important.

My 2 in 1 out clears the car I tested it on with a 915. Though that said most 915 cars require extra length to the heat exchangers to clear.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Nov 14 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

For what it is worth, I am running a bone stock 2N1out 911 SC muffler on my 3.0 and it sounds great IMHO at all levels of acceleration. No drone. I had to edit the chrome tail pipe piece to fit precisely in the stock rear valance cut but otherwise, an easy fit and no ear plugs required.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Nov 14 2017, 12:03 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 14 2017, 06:14 AM) *

Interesting. I have a M&K 2in / 2 out. The standard version where you can plug up one side and make it a single out. It felt like it gained hp when I un-capped the second port, but your saying its all in my mind? I'm running a carbed/cammed 3.2, about ~280hp at the crank.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 14 2017, 12:31 PM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 14 2017, 01:03 PM) *

Interesting. I have a M&K 2in / 2 out. The standard version where you can plug up one side and make it a single out. It felt like it gained hp when I un-capped the second port, but your saying its all in my mind? I'm running a carbed/cammed 3.2, about ~280hp at the crank.

You have a really hot engine. 280 is a lot for a 3.2. I bet your car rips.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 14 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 14 2017, 10:03 AM) *

If you think your gaining 10hp from a second tail pipe Thats just not realistic.. 4-6 maybe but whats that worth?? Drone/dbs? Usually makes it too much for daily driver duty.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Nov 14 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 14 2017, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 14 2017, 10:03 AM) *

If you think your gaining 10hp from a second tail pipe Thats just not realistic.. 4-6 maybe but whats that worth?? Drone/dbs? Usually makes it too much for daily driver duty.

Ya it does drone quite a bit from 2-3k, but sounds great above that. I think I am going to install a remote valve so I can have the option to open up the second outlet with a push of a button.

+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Nov 14 2017, 01:15 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 14 2017, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 14 2017, 01:03 PM) *

You have a really hot engine. 280 is a lot for a 3.2. I bet your car rips.

Ya it rips pretty good . I've never dynoed it, but there is the same combo of parts from a guy on pelican and he's at 250hp to the wheels (~290hp at the crank with a 915). It's definitely more power than you need on the street.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...fore-after.html

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:02 AM