Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Camshaft Confusion, Correct Part# to run original D-Jet
914Sixer
post Nov 17 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Elgin did my camshaft for my 2056. Using 330-1 improved stock but good for fuel injection.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Nov 17 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #22

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 17 2017, 03:50 PM) *

Elgin did my camshaft for my 2056. Using 330-1 improved stock but good for fuel injection.

Mark,

Is that just the grind number of the OE Cam or is this an aftermarket solution? Can OE lifters be used or is there a special requirement there as well?

This is adding to my "Camshaft (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) "
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 18 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

That is Elgin's number for the cam grind. I sent him my old camshaft and they reworked to the 330-1 grind. Using NOS stock German lifters. Waiting to finish up with GB on the AA piston heads from Len.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 19 2017, 08:32 AM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 18 2017, 05:39 AM) *

That is Elgin's number for the cam grind. I sent him my old camshaft and they reworked to the 330-1 grind. Using NOS stock German lifters. Waiting to finish up with GB on the AA piston heads from Len.

http://www.elgincams.com/c-por3.html

Interesting. Will the straight 330-1 work OK for 2056 build with a stock D-Jet?
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 19 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

I talked Dema and he said it should be a good match. I also had Jeff Bowlsby calibrate the MPS for the 2056. Also using all new FI wire harness with new engine harness. Using stock Bosch injectors and a reworked distributor to factory spec.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Nov 20 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #26

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Mark/Edward,

That is encouraging, I have located the correct NOS Cam that will be used for my build.
Will update specifically on my Resto thread.

Depending on the number on your original Cam Gear, my supplier has additional units in stock. You can PM me if you have any interest in going that route.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 10 2019, 07:06 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Follow up - New Learning

So after having bought engine GA000099 it turns out that this engine is a stock 2.0L that has never been rebuilt before. I say this based on the fact that the engine tin, cheese head screw had never seen a screwdriver and because it had an intact D-jet system inclusive of many original ground connectors, spark plug connectors, etc. Stock Mahle 94mm shallow dish pistons, etc.

With the help of
@914_7T3 I was able to locate a NOS crankshaft.

Initially I was skeptical that this was the correct cam for a stock 2.0L since I couldn't verify the part numbers from any of my own take off parts from my vehicle's engine.

My recent purchase of Engine GA000099 is shedding some light on the situation.

The cam I bought is stamped with VW part 021.109.101K. One pink paint stripe. One 1/2 ring cast on the cam to the right of the center bearing surface.

Porsche part number on the box is 021.109.015K but there is no way to tell for sure if this is the proper box for the NOS cam I received since the box wasn't sealed. Boxes often get shuffled and/or simply used as safe place to store parts. If you think about it, it is pretty amazing that 40 odd years later we can still find any NOS parts!

I suspect my box wasn't original to the cam I purchased since the drive gear on my NOS cam is a "0" pitch offset which should be 021.109.021M according to PET. 021.109.015M is supposed to be a "-3" pitch offset but would be the same cam profile, just a different drive gear. Really doesn't matter since I only care what the camshaft actually is - not the box. However, it all adds up to another source for confusion. Given that there are other known errors in PET, I don't even fully trust that!

Attached Image

PET indicates that suffix(s) of the latest part is "M". Despite much searching on the net, I could never find a firm tie between the VW part numbers, the Porsche PET part numbers, or any parts that end in suffix "K" vs. "M".

I found conflicting information all over the web. The most authoritative seemed to be:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/i...t-348618--.html

In splitting the case of GA000099 you can see that the stock cam is marked with two pink stripes.

Attached Image

along with VW part number 021.109.101k

Attached Image

the cam has 1/2 band cast into it .

Attached Image

Not sure why this cam has two pink stripes vs. my NOS cam with only one pink stripe but suspect that it may be due to the difference in the drive gear. My NOS drive gear is a "C" suffix with "0" pitch offset. The drive gear on the GA000099 is a "B" which indicates "-3" pitch offset. Different levels of variation in gear pitch diameter allowed for select fit of the cam to crank gear to minimize cam backlash as part of factory build.

So it does indeed seem to me that the NOS camshaft that I bought is indeed the correct cam for a GA motor. VW part number matches. Cast 1/2 ring matches, paint color matches. Good enough for me. I'm happier than a bird with a french fry! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:58 AM