Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adventure begins, 1970 914/4
Rockland914
post Nov 18 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,586
Region Association: North East States

I have towed this running driving 914 home two weeks ago. I am the 4th owner, previous owner had it for one summer. It drives, stops, starts. Supposedly "original" 47k miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).
Will drive it for a few more weeks and than restoration begins. Got a Lincoln MIG welder, have a friend coming down for a week in January to help. I was debating what to do with it, looks like everything is original on the car. It was repainted probably in the late 80's. Paint is chipping, very little rust on the fenders, hoods, doors and floors. I want to drive it, now show it. Going for mechanical first and later cosmetic. Interior is is great shape, dash has no cracks, one little rip on the passenger side of seat bolster. Has original fuel injection that the previous owner and his mechanic got in running great, new fuel regulators, pump, checked the lines, cleaned the tank, did spark plugs, wires, got the brakes serviced (need to bleed a little more and adjust the emergency brake). I love the look of the original chrome fenders. Car needs to get reinforced, doors are not closing great on the top. Was debating if I should do Restoration Design or Brad Mayeur, leaning toward the latter because I just want to drive it for fun. Goal is original looking outside, inside, mechanically sound with upgraded suspension.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 18 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Good luck with the car. For some reason I don't see the pics.
+Quote Post
Rockland914
post Nov 18 2017, 03:32 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 18 2017, 04:30 PM) *

Good luck with the car. For some reason I don't see the pics.

Figuring out the image uploads form Google Photos. I think I got it.
+Quote Post
Rockland914
post Nov 18 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Rockland914 @ Nov 18 2017, 04:28 PM) *

I have towed this running driving 914 home two weeks ago. I am the 4th owner, previous owner had it for one summer. It drives, stops, starts. Supposedly "original" 47k miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).
Will drive it for a few more weeks and than restoration begins. Got a Lincoln MIG welder, have a friend coming down for a week in January to help. I was debating what to do with it, looks like everything is original on the car. It was repainted probably in the late 80's. Paint is chipping, very little rust on the fenders, hoods, doors and floors. I want to drive it, now show it. Going for mechanical first and later cosmetic. Interior is is great shape, dash has no cracks, one little rip on the passenger side of seat bolster. Has original fuel injection that the previous owner and his mechanic got in running great, new fuel regulators, pump, checked the lines, cleaned the tank, did spark plugs, wires, got the brakes serviced (need to bleed a little more and adjust the emergency brake). I love the look of the original chrome fenders. Car needs to get reinforced, doors are not closing great on the top. Was debating if I should do Restoration Design or Brad Mayeur, leaning toward the latter because I just want to drive it for fun. Goal is original looking outside, inside, mechanically sound with upgraded suspension.
Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 18 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The only issue with the 914ltd kit is that the originality is then gone.. For my car which was a basket case thats a different story.
+Quote Post
Rockland914
post Nov 18 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2017, 04:46 PM) *

The only issue with the 914ltd kit is that the originality is then gone.. For my car which was a basket case thats a different story.

Torn about that. Looks like the Restoration Design parts are super nice and retain the originality. The price of everything I would potentially need scares me. Maybe it is not as bad as I think and I will not have to replace too many parts. I am definitely getting sag in the middle of the car. That is the main concern.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 18 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You still have to cut out all the rot and fix the longs with the correct sheet metal before you weld on the reinforcements.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Nov 18 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

Good luck with the project. And thank you for saving yet another 914.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 18 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 19 2017, 12:57 PM) *

You still have to cut out all the rot and fix the longs with the correct sheet metal before you weld on the reinforcements.

Do that as mentioned ,no other way,you don't need to beef up the chassis till the rest is right or @ all unless you have a power upgrade and I'am not talking a small upgrade on a 4 cyl engine.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Nov 18 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #10

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

Brad Mayeur does great work and you cannot find anyone better. He has always been willing to work with owner's regarding their cars. Get with him and let him help you/assist you in determining what you are willing, able to, or not wanting to thus getting him involved in the car and helping you make decisions.

Follow the suggestions on getting a knowledge handle on any potential cancer as others have suggested. Again, Brad can help you determine a survey on what has to be done to the car and the order things can be accomplished.

again, there are people here who can help you; car looks great from distance. Good luck and keep the postings coming.

I have Brad's external stress kit on my car which is great, BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW what the car actually needs before giving any consideration to stressing the cars; repairs first, then improvements; thus a good survey on condition.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Nov 18 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My '73 was restored by Stalltek (who mainly do 356's) and they used Brad's longitudional pieces, and some other stuff from RD.
Very happy with Brad's stuff and car is STIFF as a board now- better than new.

He is great to work with.
+Quote Post
Rockland914
post Nov 19 2017, 06:04 AM
Post #12

Thank you all for the advice and kind words. I will post pictures of the problem areas to get some advice. One of the reasons I made the plunge to get a 914 was the great support the car gets from the owner community. I had a 72 MGB roadster and loved the help and guidance I was able to get online. I will do my best to preserve the originality of the car while creating a solid fun car I can drive like it was designed for, fast and fun.
+Quote Post
bretth
post Nov 19 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 18,882

Is this the car that was on Craigslist for a long time? Looks familiar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Rockland914
post Nov 19 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(bretth @ Nov 19 2017, 12:23 PM) *

Is this the car that was on Craigslist for a long time? Looks familiar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Craigslist Albany.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Nov 20 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

You will find excellent help and good support here. Just make sure you keep on posting pictures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

I've installed a Brad Mayeur kit on mine 6-7 years ago and been driving it almost every day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
bretth
post Nov 20 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 18,882

I think this same car was being sold by a guy in Wilton for a couple years before the last owner bought and initially tried to flip it for $7500.
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Nov 20 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #17

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

In regards to the top to door fit, are you sure you have an early top vs. a late top? Difference between the two in terms of fit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

More photo's and enjoy the ride...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 21 2017, 05:29 AM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 18 2017, 05:57 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 21 2017, 07:02 AM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Nov 21 2017, 07:18 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,126

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) There are a half dozen owners nearby who would be happy to help. PM if needed.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:40 PM