Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> my first porsche, is it worth it?
440gordy
post Nov 26 2017, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,638
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Attached Image Attached Image

I am about to buy this 914. it has a little rust but nothing i cant handle. Both the lower rocker tins are rusted out and there is a spot on the threshold where the rocker meets the door striker panel. Needs a battery tray and maybe bracket. some surface rust along the back trunk but should clean up easily. no rust in the front compartment. It is supposed to have a slipping clutch, probably oil soaked from a leak. all in all a really straight car. I did get it started for about 30 seconds by bypassing the fuel pump and using another pump and running fuel direct from a gas can and it sounded just fine. It appears to have 106k. if i purchase this i plan to tear it to the ground and repaint it completely. and make any needed repairs. I don't want to overpay for it and then be buried in it. From what i have stated can any of you give me a good starting purchase price and possible end value. any knowledge form you guys would be greatly appreciated!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 26 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

$1-1.5K
You will find a lot more rust.
Good luck.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Nov 26 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #3

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 26 2017, 06:51 PM) *

$1-1.5K
Good luck.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The end value is going to depend on the model year and engine size.
I'm assuming that's a '72 1.7 based on the lack of bumperettes and what appears to be a moveable passenger seat. The 70-72 1.7's are still probably the least valued in the 914 market. A competently restored early 1.7 will probably bring ~$15k give or take a couple thousand depending on the quality of the resto. Has anyone here seen a stock restored early car break $20k on the private market (non-dealer sale)?
That car looks like it's going to need literally everything overhauled. I don't know that there's money to be made there unless you're doing most or all of the metal and paintwork yourself. If it were a 73 or 74 2.0, that would be a different story.

If you do restore it, replace the wheels with literally almost anything that'll fit. Those Rivieras are about the least desirable wheel for a 914. Fog lights and chrome bumpers are a plus for value.

But if you're restoring it for yourself, go for it! If you haven't driven one of these before, spend a couple months with one. You'll be hooked.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 26 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #4

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What Mark said.
You are on the Left coast. Unless the car is basically free (under $1000) I'd find someone who knows 914s to evaluate the rust situation before you buy it.

On the west coast you can probably find nicer ones. But if you know how to weld, everything is fixable.

Zach
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Nov 26 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Spend two thousand and don't tear it all apart until it's all running and rust repairs done . If you take it all down you will spend years and 15 grand just to go down the street for a 6 pack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
440gordy
post Nov 26 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 26 2017, 05:51 PM) *

$1-1.5K
Good luck.

He has agreed to $850 but i am putting it up on the hoist to verify any other rust that i can find.. but its looking really clean..
+Quote Post
440gordy
post Nov 26 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 26 2017, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 26 2017, 06:51 PM) *

$1-1.5K
Good luck.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The end value is going to depend on the model year and engine size.
I'm assuming that's a '72 1.7 based on the lack of bumperettes and what appears to be a moveable passenger seat. The 70-72 1.7's are still probably the least valued in the 914 market. A competently restored early 1.7 will probably bring ~$15k give or take a couple thousand depending on the quality of the resto. Has anyone here seen a stock restored early car break $20k on the private market (non-dealer sale)?
That car looks like it's going to need literally everything overhauled. I don't know that there's money to be made there unless you're doing most or all of the metal and paintwork yourself. If it were a 73 or 74 2.0, that would be a different story.

If you do restore it, replace the wheels with literally almost anything that'll fit. Those Rivieras are about the least desirable wheel for a 914. Fog lights and chrome bumpers are a plus for value.

But if you're restoring it for yourself, go for it! If you haven't driven one of these before, spend a couple months with one. You'll be hooked.

yes its a 72. I used to own my own body shop so i am fully able to do sheet metal repair and replacement plus all body work and paint. I am going to dig deeper tomorrow night and see what else i can find. I have my fingers crossed. thank you for your knowledge. I dont know anything about the 914 but i cant wait to drive it!!
+Quote Post
post Nov 26 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #8

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495

I’m in Seattle, maybe not far from you?

For what it’s worth, the previous owners of the last two cars I bought (a 1991 Miata and 1970 914) lost thousands of dollars, and I would lose thousands of dollars if I were to sell either of them.

In the 1980s I had a 1975 with the same (now undesirable) Riviera wheels, and a 1973 with Fuch’s wheels I liked a lot more.
+Quote Post
440gordy
post Nov 26 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 26 2017, 06:16 PM) *

What Mark said.
You are on the Left coast. Unless the car is basically free (under $1000) I'd find someone who knows 914s to evaluate the rust situation before you buy it.

On the west coast you can probably find nicer ones. But if you know how to weld, everything is fixable.

Zach

He said he would take 850 for it which i though wasnt that bad but i told him if i find more rust after i inspect it will we have to meet in the middle somewhere.
+Quote Post
440gordy
post Nov 26 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 26 2017, 06:38 PM) *

I’m in Seattle, maybe not far from you?

For what it’s worth, the previous owners of the last two cars I bought (a 1991 Miata and 1970 914) lost thousands of dollars, and I would lose thousands of dollars if I were to sell either of them.

In the 1980s I had a 1975 with the same (now undesirable) Riviera wheels, and a 1973 with Fuch’s wheels I liked a lot more.

Im over in Yakima. The good thing is i can do all the needed repairs myself. I am making up a list of parts for a worst case senario. I feel i can keep it under 5k and the rest is my labor..
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 26 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

I bet five 100 dollar bills will get the deal done even if you don’t find more rust.
Worst case scenario it would make a good parts car.

Good luck
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 26 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Save it and have fun with it. Don't change that color, ever!!!! Olympic blue is a great color.

I had a beater that I made into a good drivable car, I kind of cut my teeth (as far as 914s) on it.

It looks cool, and $500-850 ain't bad.

They are really fun cars!!!

And........................ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Nov 26 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

fwiw, i am no longer a fan of the "buy a good west roller mentality". i have repaired worse. if you have the courage to undertake a resto, go for it, at $850.00 you wont get hurt even if you abandon it.they are worth restoring for their driving pleasure alone. non rusted survivors are few and far between, these are not for the feighnt of heart but are worth the effort
+Quote Post
440gordy
post Nov 26 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(injunmort @ Nov 26 2017, 07:51 PM) *

fwiw, i am no longer a fan of the "buy a good west roller mentality". i have repaired worse. if you have the courage to undertake a resto, go for it, at $850.00 you wont get hurt even if you abandon it.they are worth restoring for their driving pleasure alone. non rusted survivors are few and far between, these are not for the feighnt of heart but are worth the effort

i feel no matter what it will be fun get running and drive. I feel confident since i have a lot of body experiance. i used to do Rebuilds and have learned how to properly remove sheet metal and if need be make the piece if needed. plus i know body work and i can lay down the paint. even if it has a couple our of sight rust spots its going to be a heck of a good looking car when i'm done with it!
+Quote Post
440gordy
post Nov 26 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 26 2017, 07:30 PM) *

Save it and have fun with it. Don't change that color, ever!!!! Olympic blue is a great color.

I had a beater that I made into a good drivable car, I kind of cut my teeth (as far as 914s) on it.

It looks cool, and $500-850 ain't bad.

They are really fun cars!!!

And........................ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

the orginal color was yellow and someone did the blue. i also like the blue, but might be persuaded to go for a orange/tangerine flavor. I cant wait to get it back on the road!
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Nov 26 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 18,454

The price is right! Get it running and enjoy it.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Nov 26 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #17

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 27 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #18

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If the car has lived in WA most of its life your rust hunt will expand. Be prepared for the worst. $5k might be a bit short. Depends on how deep you have to go.
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Nov 28 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,610

Is a 914 worth it? Undoubtedly YES. The most fun to drive car I've ever been in.

Is THAT 914 worth it? Maybe. Get it up on a lift and send us some pictures. Its a great price, but rust can get to where it compromises the safety of the car.

Konrad
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 28 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm having a hard time seeing how this car is NOT worth it. Looks like a great project. Of course, you need to get behind those rockers and underneath to look at the nasty bits. But my car was in WAY worse shape before I started rustoration. To provide reference, I'm winding up major repairs that included major repair of inner longs and replacement of outer longs on both sides, replacing both door jambs, replacing almost everything in the hell hole, and a complete floor replacement. Price of parts that were mostly RD new with a few salvage parts mixed in was ~3K. The rest was welding/grinding supplies and lots of my time. Unless that car is bent, I think you are gold given your skillset. Worst case, you could get that kind of money back out in parts. Dibs on those rocker covers if you do!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:55 AM