Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Arne’s post-teener projects, Retirement project #7 - 1974 Capri V6
914_7T3
post Aug 23 2020, 07:23 PM
Post #121

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(arne @ Aug 23 2020, 05:01 PM) *

Verbal deal made, money changes hands tomorrow.

Great choice to go VW water cooled! I’ve seen a lot of nice Corrado/Sciroccos up in the PNW that get me thinking....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 23 2020, 07:29 PM
Post #122

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice Arne always liked those rabbit(LOL) trucks. I always wanted one for mics little stuff. Be a cool ride for sure
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 23 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #123

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 23 2020, 06:23 PM) *
Great choice to go VW water cooled!

Made me laugh! I've got a combined 10 years in air-cooled cars, all Porsches. (Plus 8 years in Kawi KZ's back in the late '70s and early '80s. Later bikes and ATVs were all water-cooled.)

Water cooled VWs? Let's see, in order...

'78 Scirocco ('79-81)
'81 Scirocco S ('81-'91)
'91 Jetta GLI 16v ('91-09)
'86 GTI 8v ('95-96)
'90 Corrado G60 ('96-97)
'10 Golf TDI ('10-16)

So not new to water cooled, and not even new to the 16v engine.

It's a VW project that I can modify a bit, because it doesn't have to be a daily driver. I'm looking forward to it.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 23 2020, 10:01 PM
Post #124

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(arne @ Aug 23 2020, 05:54 PM) *

Engine swap is already done, but needs some troubleshooting and tidying. Running a '92 2.0 16v and 5 speed from a Passat. Has already been converted to the round headlight front end, too. So GTI look is a good possibility.

Sounds like a good swap. Grew up in/around one of these, but with the stock US diesel—so slower than molasse.

Saw one in the paddock at Laguna years ago and didn't think too much about it. It was white with Corrado G60 wheels and sat pretty lower (I believe he said he simply flipped the rear axle and then lowered the front accordingly) but was otherwise unremarkable...until I watched it beating up on Porsches on the way up the hill to the Corkscrew. When it passed a 928S up the hill, I really wanted to know more. Was running a G60 engine, too...and I doubt it was stock. Well driven, it was very, very quick.
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 23 2020, 10:42 PM
Post #125

Stock G60 in the portly Corrado was uninspiring. I was afraid of grenading the supercharger and didn't want to put a smaller pulley on it, but did do some simple plumbing changes (couldn't get away with them in CA) to help keep the boost up while shifting. Better, but not great, the 16v Jetta that was the family car during that time was more entertaining.

But in a lighter Mk1, if you can accept the risk of spinning the G-lader faster than stock, it could make it feel special.

But all in all, I prefer the feel and character of the 16v engines. Which should make this little truck a pile of fun.
+Quote Post
garrettlee2
post Aug 23 2020, 10:54 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 14,901

Attached Image I’m planning on selling this if you would like a dumb race car
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 24 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #127

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Aug 23 2020, 09:54 PM) *
I’m planning on selling this if you would like a dumb race car

One project at a time. The Caddy will need to be it for a while.
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 25 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #128

Home now, let the fun begin...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 26 2020, 07:07 AM
Post #129

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Aug 23 2020, 11:54 PM) *

Is that Pre-SMOG by chance?
+Quote Post
garrettlee2
post Aug 26 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #130

Member No.: 14,901

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 26 2020, 06:07 AM) *

It has a 300hp 1.8t and diesel title
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 26 2020, 08:11 AM
Post #131

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Aug 26 2020, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 26 2020, 06:07 AM) *

It has a 300hp 1.8t and diesel title

Hey now!

You should totally list that here and on the somber. I’ll touch base separately, don’t want to hijack the thread.

Love the pick up – please keep us posted on the progress
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 26 2020, 03:47 PM
Post #132

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

The 16v 2.0 engine is a very good engine,much improved torque over the KR 1.8 which I have in my Corrado.
In ROW spec the ABF 2.0 made the same power as the first 20v Mk4 GTI's ,it seems the US version called a 9A had some slight differences but pretty much the same unit.
These motors tune very well and provide good gains when chipped and fitted with a quality header and exhaust.
+Quote Post
arne
post Aug 26 2020, 06:21 PM
Post #133

Got it running today, for a short time. After some troubleshooting I hot wired the fuel pump and it fired right up. Fuel pump relay is toast. New one arrives tomorrow.

Wiring is less than professional, I'm going to have to sort the whole thing, I suspect.

I like the 2.0 16v, and have a lot of seat time with them. We bought a '91 Jetta GLI new in '91, and used it as our family driver until 2002, and as a backup car through 2007 when we gave it to our son. He still owns it.

I don't know if this one is stock internally. It does have a header on it, and no cat.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 26 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #134

Advanced Member

QUOTE(arne @ Aug 27 2020, 12:21 PM) *

Got it running today, for a short time. After some troubleshooting I hot wired the fuel pump and it fired right up. Fuel pump relay is toast. New one arrives tomorrow.

Wiring is less than professional, I'm going to have to sort the whole thing, I suspect.

I like the 2.0 16v, and have a lot of seat time with them. We bought a '91 Jetta GLI new in '91, and used it as our family driver until 2002, and as a backup car through 2007 when we gave it to our son. He still owns it.

I don't know if this one is stock internally. It does have a header on it, and no cat.

Great to here you got it running,with the Mk1 platform the power to weight should be pretty good.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 10 2020, 11:27 PM
Post #135

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 26 2020, 09:21 PM) *
Great to here you got it running,with the Mk1 platform the power to weight should be pretty good.
Good luck.

It should be a fun little truck when I get it done. The 2.0 16v is about twice the power of the original gas 1.7, and almost 3 times as much as the more common diesel pickups. It also has a close-ratio 5 speed with 3.94 final drive from an early GTI. So it will be surprisingly quick. A definite sleeper. The rather plain-looking factory VW wheels were original on the donor Passat, and are actually forged Fuchs, complete with the fox head stamp on the back side. They don't weigh much, extremely light. A good wheel for the sleeper look.

I got it running about a week ago, although not 100% yet. The Motronic ECU is apparently running in limp-home mode. So the AFR is way rich, and there is no ignition advance at all. Indications are that it may have at least one bad knock sensor. So no driving it yet. Brakes have been overhauled, the fronts upgraded to vented rotors. Suspension is ¾ done, will be complete before the week is out. New knock sensors on their way.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 11 2020, 05:00 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

[quote name='arne' date='Sep 11 2020, 05:27 PM' post='2850221']
[quote name='porschetub' post='2846267' date='Aug 26 2020, 09:21 PM']Great to here you got it running,with the Mk1 platform the power to weight should be pretty good.
Good luck.
[/quote]
It should be a fun little truck when I get it done. The 2.0 16v is about twice the power of the original gas 1.7, and almost 3 times as much as the more common diesel pickups. It also has a close-ratio 5 speed with 3.94 final drive from an early GTI. So it will be surprisingly quick. A definite sleeper. The rather plain-looking factory VW wheels were original on the donor Passat, and are actually forged Fuchs, complete with the fox head stamp on the back side. They don't weigh much, extremely light. A good wheel for the sleeper look.

I got it running about a week ago, although not 100% yet. The Motronic ECU is apparently running in limp-home mode. So the AFR is way rich, and there is no ignition advance at all. Indications are that it may have at least one bad knock sensor. So no driving it yet. Brakes have been overhauled, the fronts upgraded to vented rotors. Suspension is ¾ done, will be complete before the week is out. New knock sensors on their way.
[quote]
Sounds like you are moving on with this,not sure if you know this but the blue temp sensor if faulty will give you the issue you have,if not working or faulty wiring there is no communication with the ECU regarding engine temp status...ask me how I know,mine was a dead wire in the loom,bought a replacement engine loom for cheap and all was good.
Good luck.

+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 11 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #137

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 11 2020, 04:00 PM) *

Sounds like you are moving on with this,not sure if you know this but the blue temp sensor if faulty will give you the issue you have,if not working or faulty wiring there is no communication with the ECU regarding engine temp status...ask me how I know,mine was a dead wire in the loom,bought a replacement engine loom for cheap and all was good.
Good luck.

I am aware of that. The temp sensor was replaced by the PO last year. I will revisit to look at it again, but I suspect my issue may be the knock sensors, which can also cause this issue.

In any case, the wiring on this truck is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) and I plan to recheck the entire engine wiring loom.
+Quote Post
arne
post Nov 21 2020, 11:53 AM
Post #138

Still debugging the Motronic injection, problems from sitting too long, as well as ill-advised tampering by the PO. It runs, and shows promise as being really quick. But it doesn't run right yet. Awaiting some additional parts for that now.

Beyond that, the electrical bits have been pretty much dealt with, everything now works again - lights, gauges, etc.

New brakes both ends, including an upgrade to vented GTI up front. Suspension and steering all refreshed as well.

Polished the VW/Fuchs wheels, turned out quite nice.

And now the rust exploration has begun, pictured below is the back half of the passenger floor pan. Rust is present, but not horrible. Better than I feared.

Will be expanding my work to a new area on this one, as I plan to tackle the rust repair myself. New MIG welder should be delivered any day now.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-20799-1605981181.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-20799-1605981181.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-20799-1605981182.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 21 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

QUOTE(arne @ Nov 22 2020, 06:53 AM) *

Still debugging the Motronic injection, problems from sitting too long, as well as ill-advised tampering by the PO. It runs, and shows promise as being really quick. But it doesn't run right yet. Awaiting some additional parts for that now.

Beyond that, the electrical bits have been pretty much dealt with, everything now works again - lights, gauges, etc.

New brakes both ends, including an upgrade to vented GTI up front. Suspension and steering all refreshed as well.

Polished the VW/Fuchs wheels, turned out quite nice.

And now the rust exploration has begun, pictured below is the back half of the passenger floor pan. Rust is present, but not horrible. Better than I feared.

Will be expanding my work to a new area on this one, as I plan to tackle the rust repair myself. New MIG welder should be delivered any day now.

Appears you have a very rust free car there the MK 1 was known to rust rather badly,I must as I'am a little confused ask about the fuel system ? that looks like a CIS air trunking or do you have the CIS-E system which uses an ECU ?
Thanks.
+Quote Post
arne
post Nov 21 2020, 07:45 PM
Post #140

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 21 2020, 05:32 PM) *
Appears you have a very rust free car there the MK 1 was known to rust rather badly.
Yes, this was apparently an Oregon car since new, which helps a lot on the rust front, as Oregon has never embraced salt for the winter. Our cars are typically a lot less rusty than in many other parts of the country.

I started scraping the tar mat off the front half of the passenger pan today, definitely worse, but still should be fairly easy to fix since half-pans are easily available. And there will be plenty of solid metal to salvage for patches for the rear half. And so far, looks like the rust has not progressed into the rockers.

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 21 2020, 05:32 PM) *
I must as I'am a little confused ask about the fuel system ? that looks like a CIS air trunking or do you have the CIS-E system which uses an ECU ?
Engine is a 2.0L 16v from a '91 GTI or possibly Passat, type 9A. The 9A was equipped with CIS-E Motronic. Full fuel and ignition control, including knock sensors. I've had to replace the knock sensors and the ECU so far, and recently determined that someone has tampered with the air flow meter, pretty drastically. I've got a line on a replacement AFM, but the guy I'm getting it from has to find time to dig it out of storage, so it's at least a couple weeks away.
+Quote Post

15 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:30 AM