Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GB from 914Rubber.com A- Arm bushings CLOSING 12/23, $29/59 a set add tools for $30 adtnl. Reg price $48/80
bigkensteele
post Jan 21 2018, 02:26 PM
Post #61

Major Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 12 2018, 06:30 PM) *

Just did mine today. Pretty self explanatory once you have all the parts in your hand.. Also elephant racing has a youtube video that is the same basic install.. I did have a bit of rubber get cut on the install but think it overall went well.

I tried installing mine today with using the clamp method as shown in the Elephant video. No way, now how... I think that part of the problem is that my pipe clamp is a bit small for the task, but even with a larger clamp, there is no way they would have slid right on like the video.

I just had my arms powder-coated. I am reluctant to knock the caps out of the end and risk screwing up my coating.

Looking forward to the install video. Hint. Mark. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 21 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #62

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 21 2018, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 12 2018, 06:30 PM) *

Just did mine today. Pretty self explanatory once you have all the parts in your hand.. Also elephant racing has a youtube video that is the same basic install.. I did have a bit of rubber get cut on the install but think it overall went well.

I tried installing mine today with using the clamp method as shown in the Elephant video. No way, now how... I think that part of the problem is that my pipe clamp is a bit small for the task, but even with a larger clamp, there is no way they would have slid right on like the video.

I just had my arms powder-coated. I am reluctant to knock the caps out of the end and risk screwing up my coating.

Looking forward to the install video. Hint. Mark. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I ended up just using a press.. It worked well.. The issue is the bushings rock and don't go on straight until about half way on.. Thats what caused part of my failure.. They will be fine for my use.. Still mulling over the rebel racing bushings but that is at the complete other end of the spectrum and is like comparison of apples and oranges..
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 21 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #63

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

We recomend usina 1/2" threadded rod as ot is more self centering. It is possible to get them at an angle, but easier to see when it starts to go sideways.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 21 2018, 04:33 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 21 2018, 02:26 PM) *

We recomend usina 1/2" threadded rod as ot is more self centering. It is possible to get them at an angle, but easier to see when it starts to go sideways.

Yup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jan 21 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #65

Major Member

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 21 2018, 02:26 PM) *

After they are on, given how tight they are, is it still possible to index them using the same method as in the brand E video?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 21 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #66

The rubber man

Ill have to watch the video to comment. I can tell you one on our will not slide around like the undersized U ones. Thats what we fixed with proper sizing and harder rubber. If you wat h the elephant video, you can see how tbey wpuld continually change the preload.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jan 21 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #67

Major Member

After looking at my newly coated A-arms, there is no way I am going to risk knocking out the caps. They are just too nice.

I already have a couple of long 3/8" threaded rod that I use to drop the motor. I think that I can make a couple of plates and try it again without going through the bar, but on either side of it. That is if I can't find a shop nearby that has a press.
+Quote Post
get off my lawn
post Jan 23 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 13,462

How much for the all-thread and nuts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jan 23 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Use a 4 foot 2x4 as a pry lever under the edge of a workbench to push the bushing and outer cap on. .
+Quote Post
Camaro Mike
post Jan 23 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 18,234

I snoozed. Looks like the coupons have gone dead.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Feb 10 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Any how-to video/write-up yet? I got motivzated and pulled off a control arm this afternoon (it already has Weltmeister bushings in it) but now I'm holding a beer and starting at it on the bench. I bought the tools with the bushings, do not have a press.

For example, does the bushing go in the holfer first, or on the arm? Do I grease them? If so, both sides?

I can go buy some threaded rod - I presume it's avaialble at Lowe's - just pondering life right now.

These seem pretty tight; are they going to restrict control movement?

Also someone tapped in some zerk fittings. Should I remove those?
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Feb 10 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

OK, I'm totally stumped.

I went to Lowe's and bought 3' of 1/2" threaded road, washers, and nuts. Which was a great idea until I got back home and realized the end of the control arm where the torsion splines are is closed off.

How in the hell are you supposed to install these without a press?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 10 2018, 03:32 PM
Post #73

The rubber man

There is a plug on it. Thats good.
We are in the process right now of working on the install video.
There are some tips and trick we want to impart to you. Im hoping to have this wrapoed up in about a week.
The main things to remember are the bushings neet to be heated in boiling water and lots of lubrication, and yes lots of lubrication. You get my drift. You need to install as hot as possible and not let the edges tear up the inside of the bushings. You will want to set them to be in a neutral position.
What is that. Where the should set when off of the car. . Take some pictures before you disassemble. This is always a good idea.
I wish i had more for you right now, but we are having a 3rd party do this up and we are in the process of working out the technical info he needs to point out. These are a more challenging install if you have not done it before.
Mark

+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:42 AM