Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front torsion bars., What is the life span?
r_towle
post Dec 9 2017, 06:17 PM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

One of mine was broken when I bought the car, so 30 years is my guess (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 10 2017, 12:34 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 9 2017, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2017, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 8 2017, 10:59 AM) *

The paper is a bit over my head. My son would understand the calculations but I just zipped to the conclusion. My gut feeling is that while the torsion bars will eventually fatigue, most of the other moving parts will wear first so the bars are sort of the last thing on the list, unless they are rusty, cracked or worn.

How rusty is too rusty? I was going to post a pic of one of mine when I got closer to suspension work on my resto, but since the subject has come up... The rear bushing had obviously leaked on one and pitted the surface just a little. Not sure whether to repaint and reuse. I had a torsion bar break on my first 914. It broke while parked, which I've read is common. I've no issue with walking out to the garage to find a sagging corner on the car. Less thrilled about the idea of snapping one during a hard corner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

If you can polish out the rust pit the bars should last much longer. Re-paint with a good rust proof coating.
It's when a pit leads to the initiation of a stress concentration crack that they fail.
The corrosion almost always starts when the rear bushing deteriorates and lets the bar rub in the ID of the A arm and cuts thru the protective coating. then rust pits start

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) thanks for the tip. It's worth a shot. I'm thinking polish and powder coat.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:33 AM