Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good or bad idea to clear over old plated parts?
doug_b_928
post Dec 10 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

One of my winter projects is refurbishing the pedal cluster. I'm going to paint or powder coat the black parts (probably paint because I don't have a glossy powder). I'm not planning to get the plated stuff re-plated. Just clean it very well with a combination of steel wool, sand paper and wire wheels. But I was thinking putting a clear over the plated parts might keep them looking nice a lot longer. Is this a good approach when not re-plating?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 10 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Any cleaning will remove even more plating. So basically you're left with bare steel parts. Paint them at least. But I bet if you search your area you can find a plater. Zinc is really cheap.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't paint them with clear. Clear seems to be more temperamental, so I would just use a colored paint (black, silver, 'aluminum', etc).

Also, parts like the pedal cluster shouldn't be glossy if you're looking to refinish them as original. Semigloss is the go-to for almost everything.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Dec 10 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #3

Thanks McMark. I didn't realize zinc plating was inexpensive. I'll check locally.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 10 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #4

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

You can also do zinc at home if you want.

Caswell Copy Cad and Zinc plating kit. Pedals parts where zinc and not cadium BTW. But lost of other Cadium parts, like the waskers, and nuts.

Smaller scale Eastwood also has a kit

Ampicar770 did this review:

"I have to admit that this totally exceeded my expectations.

Attached are some before and after pics of my fuel injection rail and ratiners. I gave them a quick clean in the blast cabinet followed by a wipe down with Eastwood Pre Paint. Left them in plating solution for about 10 minutes, then polished with the provided compound and a cloth."

These parts look familiar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 11 2017, 08:26 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I could never get my zinc plating setup to work right. I think the power supply and power control were my issues, but I found the learning curve to be too steep.

It would be EXTREMELY handy to be able to do single pieces or small batches effectively though. Small batches at the plating shop are usually something like 'a box full' for $50. For a full box that GREAT, but for a few pieces thats expensive.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 11 2017, 08:32 AM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 11 2017, 08:26 AM) *

I could never get my zinc plating setup to work right. I think the power supply and power control were my issues, but I found the learning curve to be too steep.

It would be EXTREMELY handy to be able to do single pieces or small batches effectively though. Small batches at the plating shop are usually something like 'a box full' for $50. For a full box that GREAT, but for a few pieces thats expensive.

Plating is cheap if you can find a shop in your area that will do small batches.
Or if you send me your parts throughly cleaned I can swap them you plated pedal set parts as I have a lot of them for a reasonable charge. I soak them in Evaporust then bead blast them to remove paint.
I agree on the home methods are iffy to work well.
Bruce
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Dec 11 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #7

Yeah, I did some searching and found a local place. But they have a $75 minimum. I don’t want to save up a bunch of parts for that as I’m chipping away at smaller jobs that I want to start and finish.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 11 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 10 2017, 06:44 PM) *

You can also do zinc at home if you want.

Caswell Copy Cad and Zinc plating kit. Pedals parts where zinc and not cadium BTW. But lost of other Cadium parts, like the waskers, and nuts.

Smaller scale Eastwood also has a kit

Ampicar770 did this review:

"I have to admit that this totally exceeded my expectations.

Attached are some before and after pics of my fuel injection rail and ratiners. I gave them a quick clean in the blast cabinet followed by a wipe down with Eastwood Pre Paint. Left them in plating solution for about 10 minutes, then polished with the provided compound and a cloth."

These parts look familiar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

Is that the before or after picture ?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 11 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #9

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

When painting over zinc, lightly scuff the surface with 300. Paint does not like to adhere to zinc.

To the original question, clear will eventually flake.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Dec 11 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #10

Thanks, guys. Are all parts of the cluster steel? If so I might just go with a silver paint for the parts that were plated. For the piece that I think is called the clutch tube, would you leave the tube unpainted or paint it? I'm wondering if the buildup of paint would prevent it from sliding through the main piece or hamper its rotation...

Eric, thanks for posting on how to rebuild the pedal cluster. Your advice about the air hammer followed by the punch was crucial to getting the thing apart. My roll pin doesn't appear to be hollow. Should the original pin be re-used or use the new one that is the rolled up type?

Bruce, thanks so much for your offer. I'll weigh my options. Shipping across the border and back can be a bit of a killer $$.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:44 PM