Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.7 Been sittin' a while, What do I put in the cylinders?
alphacrimedog
post Jul 8 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 868

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif) I am about to get things ready to try and start my car since I got it from the original owner. Its been sitting outside for years, but overall the car is in pretty good shape. It was sitting under the carport on a concrete driveway. I need to replace the gas lines coming from the bottom of the tank to the fuel lines. I'll have the tank boiled out while its out of the car.
I figured since its been sitting a while that I need to remove the plugs and put some kind of lube or something in the cylinders before trying to turn her over ( probably by hand). I was thinking of Marvel Mystery Oil, My Brother-in-law says he likes to use Transmission fluid because of all the detergents in it. What do you guys think is the proper thing to do?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jul 8 2003, 10:40 AM
Post #2

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

Actually..........both idea's are good, I use tranny fluid in situations like that and Marvel mystery oil I use for engine break-in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
alphacrimedog
post Jul 12 2003, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 868

How much would you put in each cylinder. Someone suggested that I fill each cylinder but that doesnt seem right. I could see hoe a complete coating in each cylinder may be beneficial, but getting it out would be a real bear. I was figuring on a couple of Tablespoons woorth? Hows thjat sound? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 12 2003, 08:59 AM
Post #4

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Use a couple of tablespoons of Marvel Mystery oil. Turn it over a few times by hand then use starter to spin the motor with plugs out. That will spread it around and blow it out the plug hole. Maybe a little smoke on start up, but won't last long.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 12 2003, 09:18 AM
Post #5

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Don't fill the cylinders! Who knows what kind of damage can occur when that piston tries to move through a compression stroke while the cylinder has a huge slug of oil in it. Also if any of the exhaust valves are open it will just run out into the exhaust.

Just add enough to wet the rings. I don't know how well it really does wet the rings, since the cylinders are horizontal and the oil will settle to the bottom. But I did add oil to my cylinders before a lengthy storage and it worked out fine afterwards.

Mike
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:39 PM