Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone here have experience running with Hoosier R7?, tire pressure questions.
jmz
post Dec 12 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

I'm trying to get the tire pressures right on the R7s on my 914/6/gt. Running 275x35x15 and 245x40x15. I initially started at 22 shooting for 27 hot but I think they like to be run a bit lower than that.

I'm nowhere near what Hoosier recommends though.

Any thoughts?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 12 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(jmz @ Dec 12 2017, 01:30 PM) *

I'm trying to get the tire pressures right on the R7s on my 914/6/gt. Running 275x35x15 and 245x40x15. I initially started at 22 shooting for 27 hot but I think they like to be run a bit lower than that.

Any thoughts?

Attached Image

What are your suspension settings, i.e., camber and toe in? Also sounds like your running track?
+Quote Post
jmz
post Dec 12 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #3

I don’t have alignment specs you are asking for handy. ...all I can say is bit of camber up front and pretty neutral out back. -track only.

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 12 2017, 04:07 PM) *

Any thoughts?

Attached Image

What are your suspension settings, i.e., camber and toe in? Also sounds like your running track?

+Quote Post
jmz
post Dec 13 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #4

I thought I'd add to the thread for anyone following along. I called Jeff at Hoosier and he was very helpful. I'd still welcome any comments from those of you with experience but I think I've recieved some pretty good guidance.

Jay
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 13 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

your still too high of a pressure at 22
I think we are 20 or 21 cold

what is your vehicle weight?
also those tires are really large to heat up at on a light weight car. The tire is designed to cover such a wide range of modern performance cars. it has to work well on a 3000lb corvette and is designed more for that than it is on a 2000lb 914

which motor? (hp? are you)

we had to work with a hoosier tire tester/pro and the factory engineer to get 7's to work. Ultimately we found at our weight that even with a 225 the car was too light to heat up the tires at our low horse power.

we switched to A7's because they heat up better with a light car.

have you taken any tire temps?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 13 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(jmz @ Dec 12 2017, 06:41 PM) *

I don’t have alignment specs you are asking for handy. ...all I can say is bit of camber up front and pretty neutral out back. -track only.

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 12 2017, 04:07 PM) *

Any thoughts?

Attached Image

My experience with light weight 914's (1650# or lighter) running autox is that you had to start very low to get any heat into tires. Like 18 psi or sometimes even lower. This was true with either radials or cross ply tires. My conclusion was that most tires were made for heaver cars, so had to compensate some way to get temperature in them.

When I ran Hoosiers on the track, before my 914 was extensively modified, started at 22 psi (or close to that) and after 20-25 minutes they were 130+ degrees on a 80 degree day at Thunderhill.

IMO for autox, hillclimbs and enduro events (4 minutes 60 corners) the best tire for lightweight 914's is Avon. You can match the compound to the event.

+Quote Post
jmz
post Dec 13 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #7

-Brant,

The car is a bit over 2100 lbs without the driver. It has a potent 2.5 twin plug that i run in group 1 (FIA) in my local vintage race club so I'm running with the big American V8s and the 911 RSRs.

I've got two weekends on them and I've been bringing tire pressures down so far... I have not taken temps yet but that will be next I suppose but not until February. Jeff at Hoosier recommended starting no lower than 20 to after speaking with him and thought 25 hot might be a good number. I had gotten up to about 27-28 after starting at 22 the first weekend. This past weekend it was near freezing so I started at 24 but after the first session I knew it was too high. I bled them and targeted a hot temp of around 25 after the third time out. The car responded pretty well for that session just a bit loose on the high speeed carousels.

I was concerned since I was running so much lower than the recommended numbers on the datasheet that something was really off but I think you are right its just a different beast than a 3000lb American car.

I may try something else next time around if I don't get fully satisfied with the Hoosiers. ...maybe R888R as I've heard some pretty good things about them.

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 13 2017, 11:40 AM) *

also those tires are really large to heat up at on a light weight car. The tire is designed to cover such a wide range of modern performance cars. it has to work well on a 3000lb corvette and is designed more for that than it is on a 2000lb 914

we had to work with a hoosier tire tester/pro and the factory engineer to get 7's to work. Ultimately we found at our weight that even with a 225 the car was too light to heat up the tires at our low horse power.

+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 13 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

QUOTE(jmz @ Dec 13 2017, 02:26 PM) *

-Brant,

The car is a bit over 2100 lbs without the driver. It has a potent 2.5 twin plug that i run in group 1 (FIA) in my local vintage race club so I'm running with the big American V8s and the 911 RSRs.

I've got two weekends on them and I've been bringing tire pressures down so far... I have not taken temps yet but that will be next I suppose but not until February. Jeff at Hoosier recommended starting no lower than 20 to after speaking with him and thought 25 hot might be a good number. I had gotten up to about 27-28 after starting at 22 the first weekend. This past weekend it was near freezing so I started at 24 but after the first session I knew it was too high. I bled them and targeted a hot temp of around 25 after the third time out. The car responded pretty well for that session just a bit loose on the high speeed carousels.

I was concerned since I was running so much lower than the recommended numbers on the datasheet that something was really off but I think you are right its just a different beast than a 3000lb American car.

I may try something else next time around if I don't get fully satisfied with the Hoosiers. ...maybe R888R as I've heard some pretty good things about them.

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 13 2017, 11:40 AM) *

your in the ball park
there is a local pro that is a tester for hoosier
I paid him to coach me one day and he helped me with tires at the same time
I think you should try 20 cold.... the first time he told me go down in pressure, I was kinda uncomfortable with it also. But the tires were much better

now I set them cold and don't even touch them again all day

your right in the ball park
you may still have problems getting up to temp with such a wide tire
are you running the car in CVAR?

brant

+Quote Post
jmz
post Dec 13 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #9

...also, tires are somewhat open with my group. If I start running sVRA or at least the COTA SVRA race I will have to rethink tires all together.

What are you running for SVRA events Brant?

+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 13 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #10

914 Wizard

QUOTE(jmz @ Dec 13 2017, 02:41 PM) *

...also, tires are somewhat open with my group. If I start running sVRA or at least the COTA SVRA race I will have to rethink tires all together.

What are you running for SVRA events Brant?

well that's a whole kettle of fish...
I've been thinking about that problem for months
I have heard that svra is outlawing the RA1 tire for next year
I run in group 8, so they would never except my hoosiers
I've been running the RA1 with them

I also heard a rumor that they may amend the group 8 approved tire list.... so I've been watching and waiting to make a decision. Probably in march I will buy new tires for the season and I've been hoping they change their minds about outlawing the RA1 before then.

so I think I'm going to run the hoosier TD bias ply tire next year if they stick with the current rules.

if they allow it and change their minds, I'll stick with the RA1's

I'm sick of running different tires for my local club (rmvr) and svra
I may try the bias ply just for the simplicity of not having to switch back and forth, and not having to buy 2 different sets of tires. I fully expect the TD will be slower than the A7's, but hoping its not too far off of the RA1 in lap time

do you have any TD experience? I'd love to get more anecdotal reports.
+Quote Post
Heater Guy
post Dec 13 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,960
Region Association: Northern California

Weight of the car. Divide by 110. Minus 6 lbs.

My Cayman: 3000/110 = 27.27 -6 = 21 lbs cold.

This is from a Hoosier web-seminar.Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Dec 13 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

I have been running them on a 3 liter six 2280 with driver onboard
I go for 31-32 hot figuring about 6- 8 pick up during a run.. In reality on colder mornings I will start at 26 ---=While I may be high car has great stability. ...but maybe I am slow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
I can't see how you can start on a coldish morning and not bleed off pressure as it gets warm/hot.

A friend (Cracker) runs his LS 7 914 at 22 cold I believe..... He is very quick. Maybe he will weigh in and correct me although he's so shy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 13 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Dec 13 2017, 03:28 PM) *

Weight of the car. Divide by 110. Minus 6 lbs.

My Cayman: 3000/110 = 27.27 -6 = 21 lbs cold.

This is from a Hoosier web-seminar.Attached Image

that formula would be tough on a light weight car
at 2000lbs /110... and minus 6psi
formula says 12psi for my car.
I think I'll stick with 20psi
+Quote Post
jmz
post Dec 13 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #14

Yes Brant, I'm running with CVAR. I've looked at the RMVR schedule a time or 2 and am curious about the tracks y'all run. I would think you have some nice elevation changes.

I have no experience with the TDs yet.

Terry, I fear my car would really slippery at those pressures.

+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Dec 13 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

OK, I'll chime in here....since I just completed my first ever VDCA racing weekend on a new set of TD's. I've been on RA1's and RR's for several years--the TD's match or are better than them. Can't say anything about how long they'll last, but I wasn't holding up traffic with Group 6&8 at Roebling, posting lap times in the 1:26's with traffic "helping" me along...
I was shocked at the Hoosier recommended pressures to be 22psi hot with a 2000 pound car, but as they're bias tires I guess that's ok. I was starting out at 18 cold (and it was cold--35F at the start) and ending at 23. Again, this was my first ever racing experience but was gridded 10th in the enduro right beside my BIL in his very well prepared and driven Camaro...and stayed with him for 12 laps or so, sweet time!
Try the TD's--I think you'll be ok with them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
buz914
post Dec 13 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 19,952

I've been shooting for 27psi hot off track, 2.4 twin plug, 225/15 rear, 205/15 fronts, full race R7
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Dec 13 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 12,907

Are you guys running the same temps front and rear?
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 14 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #18

914 Wizard

QUOTE(jmz @ Dec 13 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Yes Brant, I'm running with CVAR. I've looked at the RMVR schedule a time or 2 and am curious about the tracks y'all run. I would think you have some nice elevation changes.

I have no experience with the TDs yet.

Terry, I fear my car would really slippery at those pressures.

I hope to see you this spring at Hallet
I love that place!
I've had the pleasure to run with CVAR about 8 times in the past... Hallet, ECR, COTA. I have missed CVAR for a couple of years and really want to get back to an event.

We actually have some great tracks
our HPR track is amazing, pueblo a favorite also....

but I'm on the Aspen street vintage race planning committee
we pulled off our first street race last September in 25 years...
(used to have one in steamboat Colorado about 25 years ago)

we have it scheduled for 2018, and I'd highly recommend attending
its going to become a huge destination race nationally.... in a few years

here are some great shots of the event, you won't find more elevation change anywhere!

aspen-snowmass 2017

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 14 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #19

914 Wizard

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 13 2017, 07:16 PM) *

OK, I'll chime in here....since I just completed my first ever VDCA racing weekend on a new set of TD's. I've been on RA1's and RR's for several years--the TD's match or are better than them. Can't say anything about how long they'll last, but I wasn't holding up traffic with Group 6&8 at Roebling, posting lap times in the 1:26's with traffic "helping" me along...
I was shocked at the Hoosier recommended pressures to be 22psi hot with a 2000 pound car, but as they're bias tires I guess that's ok. I was starting out at 18 cold (and it was cold--35F at the start) and ending at 23. Again, this was my first ever racing experience but was gridded 10th in the enduro right beside my BIL in his very well prepared and driven Camaro...and stayed with him for 12 laps or so, sweet time!
Try the TD's--I think you'll be ok with them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

that's really great to hear!
what did you change on set up when moving from the radial to the bias ply?
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 14 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 13 2017, 08:45 PM) *

Are you guys running the same temps front and rear?

I am Shane
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:47 PM