Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone here have experience running with Hoosier R7?, tire pressure questions.
wndsrfr
post Dec 14 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 14 2017, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 13 2017, 07:16 PM) *

do you have any TD experience? I'd love to get more anecdotal reports.

OK, I'll chime in here....since I just completed my first ever VDCA racing weekend on a new set of TD's. I've been on RA1's and RR's for several years--the TD's match or are better than them. Can't say anything about how long they'll last, but I wasn't holding up traffic with Group 6&8 at Roebling, posting lap times in the 1:26's with traffic "helping" me along...
I was shocked at the Hoosier recommended pressures to be 22psi hot with a 2000 pound car, but as they're bias tires I guess that's ok. I was starting out at 18 cold (and it was cold--35F at the start) and ending at 23. Again, this was my first ever racing experience but was gridded 10th in the enduro right beside my BIL in his very well prepared and driven Camaro...and stayed with him for 12 laps or so, sweet time!
Try the TD's--I think you'll be ok with them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

that's really great to hear!
what did you change on set up when moving from the radial to the bias ply?

Didn't have time to change anything....but looks like some camber adjustment is needed based on the wear pattern but haven't nailed it down yet. Then again, I'm as yet not pushing the car hard enough to sense what to change. It'll be the spring before I get a chance to run both the RR's and the TD's on the same day at the same track to really compare....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Dec 14 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 14 2017, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(jmz @ Dec 13 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Yes Brant, I'm running with CVAR. I've looked at the RMVR schedule a time or 2 and am curious about the tracks y'all run. I would think you have some nice elevation changes.

I have no experience with the TDs yet.

Terry, I fear my car would really slippery at those pressures.

I hope to see you this spring at Hallet
I love that place!
I've had the pleasure to run with CVAR about 8 times in the past... Hallet, ECR, COTA. I have missed CVAR for a couple of years and really want to get back to an event.

We actually have some great tracks
our HPR track is amazing, pueblo a favorite also....

but I'm on the Aspen street vintage race planning committee
we pulled off our first street race last September in 25 years...
(used to have one in steamboat Colorado about 25 years ago)

we have it scheduled for 2018, and I'd highly recommend attending
its going to become a huge destination race nationally.... in a few years

here are some great shots of the event, you won't find more elevation change anywhere!

aspen-snowmass 2017

Awesome!
+Quote Post
jmz
post Dec 14 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

Very Cool! yeah, Hallet is awesome, I took my school there last year when I got started. Great track and a really good vibe. I just came back from ECR this past weekend and the new owners are seemingly committed to making some major improvements and repairs but it is still a really fun track as is. I'm sure I'll make my way up to a RMVR event at some point too. ...I'll check out the Aspen link. CVAR has a street race this spring on the grounds of NASA which out to be cool. I"ll post the details in the next day or two. ...nice thing is it is only about 10 minutes from my house so I'll be racing in front of neighbors and friends.

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 14 2017, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(jmz @ Dec 13 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Yes Brant, I'm running with CVAR. I've looked at the RMVR schedule a time or 2 and am curious about the tracks y'all run. I would think you have some nice elevation changes.

I have no experience with the TDs yet.

Terry, I fear my car would really slippery at those pressures.

I hope to see you this spring at Hallet
I love that place!
I've had the pleasure to run with CVAR about 8 times in the past... Hallet, ECR, COTA. I have missed CVAR for a couple of years and really want to get back to an event.

We actually have some great tracks
our HPR track is amazing, pueblo a favorite also....

but I'm on the Aspen street vintage race planning committee
we pulled off our first street race last September in 25 years...
(used to have one in steamboat Colorado about 25 years ago)

we have it scheduled for 2018, and I'd highly recommend attending
its going to become a huge destination race nationally.... in a few years

here are some great shots of the event, you won't find more elevation change anywhere!

aspen-snowmass 2017
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 15 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

that is great that it will be a home race!
I had spoken with Mike Floyd about that race and was interested and watching to see if its going to happen this year
that should be VERY fun.... it looks scary fast though with long straights... not sure my little motor would be too competitive at such a fast track.
b

------------
Very Cool! yeah, Hallet is awesome, I took my school there last year when I got started. Great track and a really good vibe. I just came back from ECR this past weekend and the new owners are seemingly committed to making some major improvements and repairs but it is still a really fun track as is. I'm sure I'll make my way up to a RMVR event at some point too. ...I'll check out the Aspen link. CVAR has a street race this spring on the grounds of NASA which out to be cool. I"ll post the details in the next day or two. ...nice thing is it is only about 10 minutes from my house so I'll be racing in front of neighbors and friends.

+Quote Post
jmz
post Dec 15 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 15 2017, 02:55 PM) *

that is great that it will be a home race!
I had spoken with Mike Floyd about that race and was interested and watching to see if its going to happen this year
that should be VERY fun.... it looks scary fast though with long straights... not sure my little motor would be too competitive at such a fast track.
b
------------

They are going to break up the straights with a chicane or 2 I believe. You would probably run group 7 and I think your car would be competitive. ...Mike's a good guy.

You come do this and recruit your friends and I'll try and do the same with Aspen.

Too bad the Nasa race follows right after Hallet or else I'd leave my rig in Tulsa and run up to the next RMVR race. ...lot shorter driver from there than South of Houston.

Cheers,
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 16 2017, 09:43 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

It has been my experience that you can throw out the Hoosier recommendations - at least for my 914 - way to high. There are other factors that weigh-in on your pressures but for the most part I am within these ranges.

Weight: 2450 wet
Cold: 17-20 lbs
Hot: 24-27 lbs
Camber Front: -2
Rear: -2.5

Anything higher and lap times and control go North...sorry it took so long to chime-in. As Terry said - I am shy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jmz
post Dec 19 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #27

Thanks all for the data points and information. Great information!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:06 AM