Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Price check - Complete set of factory shop manuals, Red binders, Excellent condition
theer
post Dec 13 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

This guys sells a PDF version for $40.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-and-914-...6.c100890.m2460
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
larryM
post Dec 13 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #22

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

amazing, eh? - think about the time & effort to scan & organize the set !! - gotta be a hobby cuz it doesn't pay well

long way from when Charlie got stopped by Porsche from selling his xerox parts diagram manuals (have a set .. but so do 8,000 others of us)

i have a set of the red ones b'ot from a Sunnyvale dealer's parts guy back when Porsche had ditched 'em in favor of digitized manuals;

once they were worth a LOT - NOW NOT SO MUCH since there are now a whole lot of guys who will scan & give 'em away for free - or simply scan & post any page anyone wants on any given day

such is the market - one day we may find that copies of GT's have also killed the market

- the average CSOB garage putterer could care less, i suspect - free is great & better even than a $20 Haynes

ONE CAVEAT - THE EbAY PDF SET does not have large nor color wire diagrams - they were scanned B&W and tiny - a Haynes beat 'em for that

- my oem set has 'em with color and that is worth a LOT to me - i have enlarged 'em at local shop to table top size

oops - sorry for the caps-lock

QUOTE(theer @ Dec 13 2017, 06:02 PM) *

This guys sells a PDF version for $40.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 14 2017, 06:37 AM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Scanning is easy these days. A good office copier/scanner/fax/printer will scan 100 pages in a minute and convert to pdf. I used to scan all my real estate paperwork to pdf. It can be searchable.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 14 2017, 07:15 AM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Agreed and PDF is great resource, but there will always be a market for these sets.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Dec 14 2017, 07:41 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 6,103

It's too bad Bentley Publications didn't publish a repair manual for the 914. The ones I have for my 911 and VW's are great.

Dave
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 14 2017, 07:47 AM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I'm interested in a real set, but pretty much only because I think it's time to produce new PDF scans that are relatively searchable, much higher resolution, and with full color wiring diagrams.

Zooming in on a component on the wiring diagrams, only to have it go all fuzzy is getting annoying. Trying to decipher what pin number those 9 pixels look most like is also really annoying.

As mentioned, new scanners could eat through the manuals in about an hour, and apply character recognition.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 14 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I use Nitro Pro as my pdf reader and it has a feature that lets you convert a pdf to searchable using its built-in OCR. Once it is index, the pdf can be saved and is searchable from then on. I'm sure other pdf software must have a similar feature.

For wiring diagrams, I've been using the ones on Jeff Bowlsby's site. At least the ones from 73 on are in color and formatted for 11"x17" printing. I printed the 73 and 74 diagrams at that size and they are crisp and readable.

I'd still like to have a hard copy of the manuals because I think that format is easier to use. I've thought about printing the pdf and putting them in binders.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 10:31 AM