Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adding Heat to the Clown Car
davebrossi
post Jan 16 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,868
Region Association: None

So the OP is back, and I have finished the install! Some things to note that I learned along the way;
-studs on the heads can be changed. At some point they were replaced with longer studs meaning the barrel nuts I planned on using were useless. On the plus side, I have enough dexterity in my hands to reuse the original nuts.
-It would be a -really- cruel prank to dump a bunch of washers into a heat exchanger. I fished at least seven out with a magnet.
-at least in my instance I needed to lengthen the O2 sensor cable quite a bit.
-copper gasket compound does double duty in keeping the exhaust header gaskets in place while fitting up the manifolds to the heads. Just don't get it everywhere like I did.
-don't forget safety glasses when cutting into the engine tin

And now for the things I need to go back and fix;
-reroute the sparkplug wires/extend the wires (I know you can do so, but I'm not in a hurry.)
-go back and replace the studs on the heads with the correct length studs so I can actually put the headers on correctly and not via an elaborate dance
-Source the cause of the vaguely cooking rubber smell
-clean up the 5+ years of fluff, dust and everything else that blew into the cabin the first time I engaged the flapper valves
-replace pull cable and add protective rubber covers.
-drive it when it's really cold and feel accomplished.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davebrossi
post Jan 16 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #22

Also; when the headers arrived they were packed in with packing peanuts. it was worth the three dollars at the self cash wash to use pressurized water to clean out all the ways packing peanuts can enter. That and a nice dance around the office to shake any loose and convince my staff I'm more insane than usual. "good lord, dave's taken to trying to rock a 30 lbs piece of stainless steel to sleep like a baby... always knew he'd go one day..."
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 16 2018, 03:32 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(davebrossi @ Jan 16 2018, 04:18 PM) *

So the OP is back, and I have finished the install! Some things to note that I learned along the way;
-studs on the heads can be changed. At some point they were replaced with longer studs meaning the barrel nuts I planned on using were useless. On the plus side, I have enough dexterity in my hands to reuse the original nuts.
-It would be a -really- cruel prank to dump a bunch of washers into a heat exchanger. I fished at least seven out with a magnet.
-at least in my instance I needed to lengthen the O2 sensor cable quite a bit.
-copper gasket compound does double duty in keeping the exhaust header gaskets in place while fitting up the manifolds to the heads. Just don't get it everywhere like I did.
-don't forget safety glasses when cutting into the engine tin

And now for the things I need to go back and fix;
-reroute the sparkplug wires/extend the wires (I know you can do so, but I'm not in a hurry.)
-go back and replace the studs on the heads with the correct length studs so I can actually put the headers on correctly and not via an elaborate dance
-Source the cause of the vaguely cooking rubber smell
-clean up the 5+ years of fluff, dust and everything else that blew into the cabin the first time I engaged the flapper valves
-replace pull cable and add protective rubber covers.
-drive it when it's really cold and feel accomplished.

I have long exhaust studs on my 3.2 with Ben's heat exchangers. No way was I going to start unscrewing the studs. That's a recipe for broken studs. I just used some spacers. Once I had the heat exchanger placed on the stud, I slipped the spacer on and then the barrel nut. It's a little bit of a dance but not bad. You could also superglue the spacer on the heat exchanger before install. It will keep it in the right place while you tighten down the barrel nuts.

Snake a vacuum hose down the long. Its not an unusual place for mice to store stuff. At least its proof that the engine fan will move the hot air.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 16 2018, 03:44 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Using the spacers might be a good idea if the studs are too long as everyone has trepidations when removing them. We’ll have to let Ben know that enclosing them in a heavy garbage bag before using the packing peanuts might make unpacking them a bit easier once they arrive. Now go an enjoy driving the car with heat!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 16 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 16 2018, 04:44 PM) *

Using the spacers might be a good idea if the studs are too long as everyone has trepidations when removing them. We’ll have to let Ben know that enclosing them in a heavy garbage bag before using the packing peanuts might make unpacking them a bit easier once they arrive. Now go an enjoy driving the car with heat!

A quick shot of air from the compressor will make sure every tube is peanut free.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 16 2018, 04:12 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(davebrossi @ Jan 16 2018, 01:21 PM) *

Also; when the headers arrived they were packed in with packing peanuts. it was worth the three dollars at the self cash wash to use pressurized water to clean out all the ways packing peanuts can enter. That and a nice dance around the office to shake any loose and convince my staff I'm more insane than usual. "good lord, dave's taken to trying to rock a 30 lbs piece of stainless steel to sleep like a baby... always knew he'd go one day..."

Oh that was dumb on my behalf.. I typically use scrap shipping supplies from what is sent to me.. Brain fart on my behalf.. My apologies.
+Quote Post
davebrossi
post Jan 17 2018, 07:06 AM
Post #27

washing out the interior of the headers upon receipt was something I planned to do anyhow. Not really about removing dust or anything, but the shipping world is filled with cases of "oh dear, I seem to have smashed this person's box. Quick! fill it with a bunch of detritus and tape it up, they're never notice!"
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 17 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #28

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

For future reference, you can also hook up a leaf blower to the ducts as the drop down from the heat defroster selector. And blast all the crap back towards the engine side, before you hook up the heat. This saves you from cleaning the interior. You then have to just hose off the engine compartment.

I need to remember to do that myself, before I get to far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Enjoy the heat, glad it all worked out for you.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 22 2018, 04:25 PM
Post #29

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 17 2018, 02:16 PM) *

For future reference, you can also hook up a leaf blower to the ducts as the drop down from the heat defroster selector. And blast all the crap back towards the engine side, before you hook up the heat. This saves you from cleaning the interior. You then have to just hose off the engine compartment.

I need to remember to do that myself, before I get to far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Thanks for this great tip.

Bob B
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
worn
post Sep 22 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #30

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 22 2018, 03:25 PM) *

Bob B

But is he really saying you can use a leaf blower as a defroster fan? Fall is in the air and the squirrels are storing walnuts in my car.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 23 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #31

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 22 2018, 03:25 PM) *

Bob B

That tip is from Stephen! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Bob B
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 23 2018, 10:38 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I finely got my heat exchangers from Ben mounted and plumbed. Plenty of heat for our fall days. I’m not getting any heat to the windshield yet, but I haven’t tried to figure it out either. I know the correct placements for the controls, but I only get cool heat so far
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:57 PM