Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Gauge Question / Door Handle
Z914
post May 28 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,060

Well I am ready to buy this 914 (no rust issues) but I have a question, the fuel gauge does not work. It always read 1/8 no matter how much gas is in it. I just wanted to get a good idea of what it could be, if it is the wiring harness I know that is expensive. Any Ideas what it might be??

On that note the driver side door handle is broken, he does not have the screws, or gaskets. Does Pelicanparts sell the screws and gaskets too??

Thanks,
Ryan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 28 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

On the fuel, it could be the gauge, sender, or wiring. The sender is about $90. The gauge is cheap, about $35 used for a complete unit. The entire harness doesn't have to be replaced for a wiring problem. Most likely, if it is a wiring problem, it's just a case of one connector that's come loose. Any of these things can be easily repaired with simple hand tools.

There are services (see the vendor's section here) that repair broken door handles. This is a pretty common problem.
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post May 28 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #3

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

Ryan: Just fixed my gauge. 3 wires coming from the sending unit at the tank, black for the warning light, green carreing the signal for the gauge, and brown for ground. It sounds like your sending unit is stuck, cause your getting a signal to the gauge (1/8 tank). I just had to repair the green wire near the sending unit.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
+Quote Post
Z914
post May 28 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #4

Thank you
+Quote Post
jr91472
post May 28 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #5

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

before buying a new sender, take it apart and clean it. It is just a simple float that varys resistance. Mine was just stuck and little cleaning and wd40 fixed it right up.

There is a tech article on pelican.

good luck
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 28 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #6

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

What determines when the light comes on. I noticed that my light started coming on when the needle was still reading 1/4 Tank. Are they out of sync or is there something else going on ?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 28 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ May 28 2005, 11:42 AM)
What determines when the light comes on. I noticed that my light started coming on when the needle was still reading 1/4 Tank. Are they out of sync or is there something else going on ?

The float has a pair of contacts on the bottom that connect the 2nd terminal on the sender to ground. Fuel slosh will make the needle jump around and the light come on when the fuel level is low. In hard right hand turns, the fuel sloshes away from the sender, and can cause the light to blink on.

If the light stays on in left hand turns, that's when you're just about out of gas.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 28 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #8

Get that VIN ?

OK; Since the light only comes on when cact is made, then my gauge is reading too high ? Light's coming on at 1/4 tank level. I think the light used to come on at the 0 mark.

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 29 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #9

Not another one!

QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ May 28 2005, 06:06 PM)
OK; Since the light only comes on when cact is made, then my gauge is reading too high ? Light's coming on at 1/4 tank level. I think the light used to come on at the 0 mark.

Puzzling. The gauge reads closer to empty with higher resistance, so I'd expect if the connections are dirty (the usual cause for a problem like the one you describe), then it should read low, not high.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 29 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #10

Get that VIN ?

Should I be looking to the external connecter at the tank ?
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post May 29 2005, 09:29 AM
Post #11

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There was an article in the latest excellence about a similar problem (in a 914/4). It seems that the float inside the sender moves up/down on small wires inside the unit. The problem ended up being that the float had come off of one of the wires and was sending a false signal. The remedy was to disassemble the sender and simply place the float back onto the wires - the problem was solved.

You could always replace the sender and avoid the trouble. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 29 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #12

Not another one!

Except that those wires are also the guide for the float, so if it comes off one of those wires, it will probably not be aligned with the light switch contacts anymore, either.

+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 29 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #13

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

My sending unit was badly gummed up when I bought my car. Fuel gauge stuck at 1/4 full. Took it apart, cleaned it and it works good now.

I hated the fluctuation with bumps and turns so I used some POR15 to clog the 2 big holes in the bottom of the sender. Now there's only 2 tiny holes at the top and bottom of the sender tube for fuel to enter/leave the sender.

Now the gauge is very stable and still works well. Maybe the clogged holes would affect very-low fuel readings but I don't let it get that low. Always fill up below 1/2 tank to reduce condensation.

Spoke
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 29 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #14

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Can we talk about the door handle please?
Thank you.

How is it broken? Is the little mounting tab broken off?

I fix them. PM me and I give you a lesson in "Outside door handle 101". (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Paul (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Z914
post May 30 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #15

I did not get the car yet, I am hoping that if the owner fixes the Gas Gauge then I will get it because its a 500 mile drive back. Can't afford shipping, or for a tow truck. Going to run up there with a friend and have them follow me back.

I don't really know how broken the door handle is, he said it was out of the car completely, so I would think the whole thing is dead. I will let you know, Fingers are crossed on getting the car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

If I do get it Paul (URY914) I'll let you know and you will be the first person I'll contact to get the door handles fixed.

Thanks for everyones reply, I am going to send him this link to the forms so he gets a good idea what it might be for the gas gauge.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:07 AM